Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Big Boys Toys, Thurrock, Essex?

Has anyone used these guys for work on their Corrado?

i see they advertise in PVW magazine each month, and was think to take car there to get them to check out all the steering gear, rack, camber setting, 4 wheel alignment etc, they a bit nearer than stealth tuning

TBH mate.. and only my personal opinion according to the way they treated their air-cooled customers in the past and the "Quality" of stuff they have at the shows (can you say Taiwanese-tat?)

Barge and Pole.......

Owner wasn't know as Shaun "The hillbilly" Hollum in teh old Beetle cup circles for nowt mate ;)

If you're looking for somewhere decent, I'd take your baby to Premier Garage in Newport mate. They did a bit of work on my last Corrado and the guy that runs it is really nice and they used to race MkIIs so they know what they're doing.

Obviously make sure you check work that they do, as you should with any garage, but they're prety decent.

I dunno - I have heard some bad stuff about them but I went to there open day last year and was really impressed, seemed like a very professional outfit...

They were also doing some really cheap deals on suspension and remaps and they certainly had their work cut out that day... Shaun did a few re-maps and he seemed to know what he was doing taking the car for test drives before and after looking at the live maf data etc

The other thing was they were doing free fitting (!!!!!) on the suspension so there mechanic, an ex-audi guy, was working his arse off fitting coilovers and arbs all day, I've never seen someone work so hard and so fast where everyone else was just standing around in the garage watching and chatting !

Watched the build an Air-cooled engine with pistons in the wrong way and sealed the case halves with Bathroom silicon! :shock:

Oh and their Beetle cup "Sealed" engines... strange how the BBT backed cars seemed to be quicker down the straights than anyone else.. mate pulled his engine apart at the end of a season and found "inconsistantcies" with the supposed spec...

Appreciate the open day but that was just that.. and open day to showcase their tallents... go there on a normal day and see what goes on...

If you're looking for somewhere decent, I'd take your baby to Premier Garage in Newport mate. They did a bit of work on my last Corrado and the guy that runs it is really nice and they used to race MkIIs so they know what they're doing.

Obviously make sure you check work that they do, as you should with any garage, but they're prety decent.

i'll steer clear of big boys toys then, tbh the name and advert style had already given me bad impressions :lol:

is that the garage on the junction infront of the fire station? i saw a corrado vr in there a few back and have noticed a few dubs now and then. prehaps i should pop in, i drive past it everyday

nice one!!

Big boys b#llocks they r awful imo but ive only tried to buy stuff off them and thats impossible ,they advertise all this stock but wot ever u want "sorry not in stock" no matter wot it is and if u order anything u wait fffffooooorrrreeeevvvveeerrrr to get it .

I bought a 're-con' engine for my golf and had endless problems with it, just from one thing to another, so wouldn't use them again or recommend them. This was a few years ago so they might have changed, but there are enough good places about that there's no need to take the risk

is that the garage on the junction infront of the fire station? i saw a corrado vr in there a few back and have noticed a few dubs now and then. prehaps i should pop in, i drive past it everyday

nice one!!

Aye, that's the place :)