Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

Measuring clearance for big brakes?

Ive been looking at a big brake kit for my VR. The guy says you need 50-55mm clearance from the brake disc face to the wheel spoke. Whereabouts should i take the measurement from? Is it at the bottom of the disc close to the wheel bolts or further up?

you want to measure from further up more towards the middle of the spokes on your alloys, basically where the caliper would sit if you looked directly through the spokes at it, this should help!

you want to measure from further up more towards the middle of the spokes on your alloys, basically where the caliper would sit if you looked directly through the spokes at it, this should help!

Cheers Alex.

Ive been looking at the these http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/Alloy_Calipers/alloycal.htm

Im interested in the AP calipers with 325mm discs although he did say he could do 330mm discs for the same price.

They look very nice indeed Ben :) , should make a hell of a difference! I'd go for the 330mm discs if you can mate as can't hurt to have a bit extra!

That is close Alex! I had to fit 6mm spacers to get my Porsche monoblocks to fit.

APs are a good choice. I didn't know Godspeed where still going, I purchased some AP 4 pots from them for one of my early projects over 10 years ago. Still being used today on this:

yes mate its a bit of a squeeze think you can just about get a feeler gauge in there and thats about it!

That is close Alex! I had to fit 6mm spacers to get my Porsche monoblocks to fit.

APs are a good choice. I didn't know Godspeed where still going, I purchased some AP 4 pots from them for one of my early projects over 10 years ago. Still being used today on this:

What are AP 4 pots are you considering?

I use the AP racing CP5200 and it needs 42mm clearance from disc face (the pad sweep area) to the spokes. 50-55mm clearance is a BIG caliper!

You also need to find out how thick the alloy bells are because they will push the wheels out too far if they're too thick. There's not much room to play with on the VR due to the extended track.

I had custom bells made @ 7mm flange thickness compared to AP's 15mm and I use 7x17 Pro Race 1 wheels, ET35 and I can get my finger between the spokes and caliper no probs.....

AP also have PDF templates on their site which you can cut out and spin round inside your wheel to check for clearance....