Sign in to follow this  
neil20vtc

jeffcabbage mk2 daily,polishing estorils now finished!

recently bought a mk 2 gti to use as a run-a-bout so decided to clean up the estorils that came with my corrado they were quite a mess but i used nitromors to remove the laquer and paint then worked my way up through the grades of wet and dry to finally get a polished finish only got one polished up upto now as thats all i could be arsed to do today! what do ya think?passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfImage048.jpg[/attachment:d0994]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfImage050.jpg[/attachment:d0994]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfImage049.jpg[/attachment:d0994]Image051.jpg[/attachment:d0994]

Looks good!! 8)

Try buffing it with some autosol for a bit of extra shine....it's amazing stuff!

cheers an yeah gonna give the autosol a try as it is a bit dull still,i tried megs nxt metal polish on it but didnt really do anything

I use autosol for my motorbike rims. Amazin stuff. Be prepared to polish regularly but its worth it!!! 8)

thats the thing though there for a daily car so i cant be arsed cleaning them all the time, anyone know if i can i get away with laquering them?

i know it will make some of the shine go but im not that fussed as its for a daily

Whhel Wax and a weekly wash will help keep them shiny.. As you're not going for "Mirror" finish then this will be fine... If they do start gritting the roads then use Vasolene on them to protect them from the salt...

auto sol them so you can see your face in it... a lot of elbow grease but seeign as you've brought it up to 2000 grit it should be a relitively quick job, then thoroughly wash and de-greese, buy some 'petrol proof lacquer' from halfords and slowly build up lots of very light coats on the wheel, only slightly dulls the finnish and lasts very well, i did my rocker cover for my 8v golf and it withstands heat and dirt, its worth a try as you can always just nitromorse it off in a few mins if it starts to cloud after a few months

yeah that wheel wax aint all that! i put three layers of wheel sealant and two layers of wheel wax on the polished dish of my borbets an wax em often, only had them on over summer an it aint protected em and i wash it every week which is why im gonna laquer em as cant be arsed cleaning two sets of polished rims all the time!

and ive polished upto 3000 grade wet an dry now so the autosol should bring them up a treat cheers mk3 yeti on the tip think that sounds like a plan any idea whats best to de-grease them with after polishing?

well got some autosol and buffed the one wheel ive done up came up a lot shinier just got the other 3 to do now plus the black detailing plus clean up the insides of em as there quite corroded :(

update on where i am with the wheels now what do you think? still got to give them a rubbing with fine grade wet an dry then polish them with autosol then laquer then there done!

my arms aint too bad really as the face of the wheels is quite flat i got away with using a palm sander for most of it

an plans for the mk2 are just to put these wheels on got a set of springs an shocks and a badgeless grill comin well supposedly as ive been waiting for them to arrive for about 5 weeks!

not intending to do too much as its my daily driver but then i said that about my corrado......

heres a pic of how the mk2 stands now

finally finished the wheels all polished up and laquered now just need to order some tyres then get them slapped on the car

what do you think? i think they will look spot on when fitted to the car which is also sitting lower now as i fitted some lowering springs an shocks well to the front anyway as some muppet of ed 38 sent me one front spring an one rear for the rear struts so ive ended up fitting the corrados old coilovers on the back which are seized at about -80mm so its pretty low on the back!!

You'll be surprised how much "Darker" they look when compered to a "stock" diamond cut Estoril...

Good job though mate, I must get on with mine again as I have only done 1 wheels so far.. but then it's a daily and needs them to roll about on!

they're really smart, well impressive you got em looking that good.

and yeah, those back springs are low to say the least!!

hot to trot