Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

The perfect road trip?

I was chatting with my mate this evening about the best driving road-trip we could do (it started off in reality and soon became fantasy), but I came up with the following trip...

Hook of Holland -> Nurburgring -> Stuttgart (Porsche and/or Mercedes factory) -> Stelvio Pass -> Monza -> Maranello (Ferrari factory) -> Turin (Ital Design/Giugiaro) -> Monaco -> Millau Viaduct -> Le Mans -> Calais

I thought it would be a bit of fun to see if anybody else could come up with any other interesting sights to see along the way, or their own crazy road trip :)

Google Maps link

Edit: Added Maranello and Monaco to the list :D

I went through the Stelvio Pass this year on the Scally Rally, was very cool 8)

We did Calais > Basel > Cortina (through Stelvio) > Venice > Rimini > Tuscany > Modena > Home

Here's a few pics :D

The car was a 1989 Honda P00lude, with 4 wheel steering! The back wheels actually turn, and the handling was amazing, especially on those mountain haripin bends :lol:

We went for a KITT look, incase you're wondering :wink: And yes, we had a scanlight on the front :lol:

Well we drove to Croatia last summer in the student gumball rally (now named Student breakaway or something) and some of the sights were amazing. There is a brand new motorway in Croatia and it's fairly empty. On the way we stopped in Koln, Prague, Budapest, Zagreb, Zadar and then on the way back we stayed over in Rijeka, Berchtesgaden and then Amsterdam. I think in total we went through 11 countries in 10 days, and in a saxo :)

I'm hoping to explore eastern Europe a bit more next summer.

Awesome route Dinks. I must admit watching the article on Top Gear at the Stelvio pass made me want to go there sooooo much.

to the playboy mansion and back again, that would be mine :lol:

You want to come back???

I've no idea where I'd like to go, apart from scurry over the Stelvio pass. I'd just like to have a week or two of drivign around with a few mates with a nice bit of scenery, maybe just linking up a couple of trackdays/rally stages/24hour races.

You want to come back???

yeah, i doubt i could handle the americans forever and would soon of tired all the girls out :lol:

You want to come back???

yeah, i doubt i could handle the americans forever and would soon of tired all the girls out :lol:

Lol. Fair enough!

Stutttgart without visiting the Porsche Factory? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

When I drew up that list last night I was thinking "now I know the Merc factory isn't the only thing in Stuttgart..." :lol:

Editied to reflect the better taste :lol:

Looking at my map tho - the trip back through France is terribly boring - it's a long way to go out of your way just to drive over a bridge, especially as there's nothing of real (car) interest between Millau and Le Mans.

Edit: I've added Maranello and Monaco to the trip too :D

Yeah, france is pretty dull, apart from the south coast.

I went down to Menton/Monaco on last year's Scally Rally (another route they feaured on Top Gear :D)

We drove back to Calais from Italy in a day this year 'cos it's so crap in france :lol:

Took about 14 hours solid

We did Calais > Basel > Cortina (through Stelvio) > Venice > Rimini > Tuscany > Modena > Home

The car was a 1989 Honda P00lude, with 4 wheel steering! The back wheels actually turn, and the handling was amazing, especially on those mountain haripin bends :lol:

We went for a KITT look, incase you're wondering :wink: And yes, we had a scanlight on the front :lol:

Friend of mine did that in a ratty passat, did you bump into him?

Humn, thats about £383 in fuel alone. (300 miles per tank at £50 a tank and however many miles it is - I forgot already)

Would be good though I suppose you would need to do it over a week, camp to keep some costs down and then add some more cash for a trip to the ring etc.

So about £1k should do it!

When we going?

Done my favourite trip on nmerous occassions now:

Calais - Belgium - Sap Franochamps - Nurburgring - Mulhouse (Schlumpf Collection / home of Bugatti) - Switzerland - into Italy via Gotthard Pass - cruising around Lake Garda and lots of tunnels - Modena (say no more) - Maranello - Florence over the hills (awesome roads) - Pisa - Turin - into France over the mountains to Lyon - Rouen - Calais

Done that entire trip once but have done different parts of it 7 or 8 times now and never get bored with it

Yeah, it's not a realistic journey :lol:

I reckon you'd need something like 18 days to do it at a comfortable pace, but yeah it wouldn't be cheap, especially if you had to pay for the factory tours and Le Mans tickets.

I reckon around £400 in petrol wouldn't be a bajillion miles away tho.

Ferry/Channel crossings - £200

18 nights in a hotel @ £70 a night (bear in mind it'll be a different hotel pretty much every night) - £1,260

18 days of food at £15 a day - £270

Le Mans tickets - £50

Tour tickets total of around £80

That all adds up to about £2k a pop, but bear in mind you'd want at least 2 people in each car, so it'd be more like £1,400 each, plus you'd need the best part of 3 weeks off work too...

Friend of mine did that in a ratty passat, did you bump into him?

Hmm, must have missed him

I saw a couple of Scirocco's a Jetta, Vento, mk2 Golf, etc but no Passat! I'll have another look through my photos