Sign in to follow this  
was8v

VR6 Water leak left side nr sbelt PUMP FAILED AGAIN & AGAIN!

The next issue in my VR6 saga is a new water leak, actually its more like a monsoon.

Water is covering the serpentine belt and flicking around.

Before I start taking things apart is the only water component the water pump on that side of the engine?

Is it likely to be anything else? The pump bearings aren't complaining but but the water is sure coming from somewhere so the seal must have gone on that I guess?

Sounds like the water pump to me. I believe it's designed to leak when it's shot so you know thats where the problem is.

Yup, the pump will leak when the seals go, so that the bearings are protected and you can finish your journey/won't have a issue with your tensioner belt getting chewed up.

You can replace the pump by removing the engine mount bolts and jack the engine up. Would be worth fitting a Gruvenparts alloy tensioner pulley while you're at it and a new belt.

Well the eurocarparts CIRCOLI water pump (£20) has failed on me.

Noticed a similar leak today, whipped the airbox out, undid mount bolts, jacked up engine, detensioned the tensioner, whipped the pump pulley off and there sat grinning at me was the 3 month old water pump. I gave it a little spin and water came out of one of the little holes in it.

There must be some kind of valve behind the holes? Is a waterway blocked?!! or is it just an cr@ppy waterpump?

As Toad says thats how they are designed - to fail safe (ish)

ECP sell some absolute rubbish - the VW part might actually be cheaper, I think I paid £19 + vat (trade) for a VR one last year and if that fails within 2 years (it won't), VW will change the part AND take care of the labour even if they didn't fit it!

Make sure you use plenty of silicon sealant when you put the new pump in as well to help it seal properly.

Yeah I did last time, but this pump has failed - water is coming through one of the condensation holes.

As Toad says thats how they are designed - to fail safe (ish)

ECP sell some absolute rubbish - the VW part might actually be cheaper, I think I paid £19 + vat (trade) for a VR one last year and if that fails within 2 years (it won't), VW will change the part AND take care of the labour even if they didn't fit it!

I have picked up a new pump from the motorfactors this morning as I don't have time to order in one from VW. This is another brand again, hopefully better, I'm hoping to get it changed in my dinner hour (and a half) as I have a journey to make tonight......

How do people manage to get trade prices at VW? I guess you are in the trade? They never give me any discount even though I'm there buying parts every week and am a member of clubgti, corrado club, forums etc etc.

Eurocrapparts strike again :roll:

Eurocrudparts supplied tappets are responsible for this mess. My nice cams destroyed in 6000 miles :?

Reason, the tappets were too tight in their bores when hot and not twisting as they should (the cams turn the tappets as they press them down to even out wear)

Avoid MEYLE tappets from Euroutterjunkschittparts at all costs. Use only INA.

On the water pump, it does indeed have a relief valve which opens when there is too much play in the shaft.

I don't trust pattern aparts at all, and it's no wonder when stuff like the above and your pump happens, but I must admit, the GSF supplied water pumps have done me well over the years. The OE one has a plastic impeller, which i don't like much personally.

Is it the GSF one that comes with a metal impellor??

The original VAG one I took out of my engine had a metal impellor and the ***//%%$£ CIRCOLI EuroCarParts water pump has a metal impellor which is why i thought it was reasonable quality. I now notice ECP also sell a more expensive one too.

Its now replaced with another metal impellor pump but I can't remember the brand, from my local motorfactor (£33). Took all of 40mins in the work car park, I've just got to go out and fill it with coolant when the sealant has gone off later this afternoon.

The moral of the story? Go to VAG, at least for critical or time consuming parts.

EDIT: Heads up for anyone doing this, FEBI (usually excellent quality, actually OEM quality stuff) pumps from http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=586 are only £22

On the water pump, it does indeed have a relief valve which opens when there is too much play in the shaft.

This is what must have happened - the bearing in the old (recent) one still feels "stiff" like it is full of grease, but does have a bit of play. I just only hope they will actually refund me..... I just noticed in their small print that they may pay labour to replace faulty parts, too late now and I imagine thats quite unlikely.

Not again!!!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFK

The motor factor supplied pump has now failed (coolant coming from the valve).

Unfortunatly I am doing a track day at Oulton Park on weds, so no time to order in a VW one.

Going to have to lump it and take it back to the motor factor for another crappy replacement.

Expect another update in 3 months time. This will be my 4th water pump in 8 months.

BUY WATERPUMPS FROM VW FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!

Water pumps appear to be simple components mechanically.

So many failures in a short time? My suspicions would be that something in the cooling system workings is causing them

to fail.

Don't ask me what :shrug: - excess pressure of some kind?

Water pumps appear to be simple components mechanically.

So many failures in a short time? My suspicions would be that something in the cooling system workings is causing them

to fail.

Don't ask me what :shrug: - excess pressure of some kind?

My thoughts too. However surely it would pop a hose (all seemingly original) or crack pipe (the original is on and worries me) before a water pump?

The header tank doesnt seem excessively pressurised when removing the cap, certain never when cold (HGF) and no more so when hot than any other time i've done it on other cars.

The temp guage never goes over 100 degrees for long either.

I did however use cheapo coolant in the system last time I did it as it was all I could get hold of at the time. I have some VW pink stuff in the garage for this time round. Maybe the cheap stuff doesn't have bearing lubricant in as it should? Who knows.

Not again!!!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFK

The motor factor supplied pump has now failed (coolant coming from the valve).

Unfortunatly I am doing a track day at Oulton Park on weds, so no time to order in a VW one.

Going to have to lump it and take it back to the motor factor for another crappy replacement.

Expect another update in 3 months time. This will be my 4th water pump in 8 months.

BUY WATERPUMPS FROM VW FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!

You don't learn mate do you :tongue:

It's likely a VW dealer in your area will have one on the shelf, FFS take you own advice and buy a proper one!

You don't learn mate do you :tongue:

It's likely a VW dealer in your area will have one on the shelf, FFS take you own advice and buy a proper one!

LOL :lol: no I don't seem to learn, I'm always in impossible deadline situations, e.g. this time a track day tomorrow and there was no possible way I could have got to a VAG dealer today at an hour it was open even if they had one in stock! :mad2:

Another piece of advise: DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO :lol:

I'll be ordering a VW one and keeping it on the shelf so I wont be complaining again. But FFS how does a company make money selling poor quality parts?!!

EDIT: Guys on CGTI seem to agree its the poor quality pumps - http://www.clubgti.com/FORUM/showthread.php?t=168682