Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Anyone running 195 tyres on a VR6?

I have some 195 50 15 Yoko A509s lying round and the Corrado VR6 needs new boots.

Has anyone encountered problems running 195 50 15 rather than 205 50 15 tyres? does the 10mm tread width and speedo reading 1.7% too slow make any difference?

The rims are standard BBS solitudes, 7x15".

I would say that difference in rolling radius is within an acceptable tolerance, after all the VR has the same gearbox output ratio as the other Corrados and they run these size tyres as stock.

As for if it will be ok, you might find that the reduced track means you need to put some air in the tyres but otherwise it should all be ok.

I don't think you'll notice the rolling radius difference, it's tiny (compared to e.g. the difference between new and worn tyres). The other issues: clearly you'd have slightly less grip; and the tyres would need to be rated at least "86V" weight rating to support the front end of the car at 150 mph safely..

You may get away with it, since yours is an 8v converted to a VR, but if the log book said "VR" you'd really be better off running 205s, for MOT test sake if nothing else.

the tyres would need to be rated at least "86V" weight rating to support the front end of the car at 150 mph safely..

Hmmm I'm never going to be doing 150mph.... but a good point the yokos are 82V

You may get away with it, since yours is an 8v converted to a VR, but if the log book said "VR" you'd really be better off running 205s, for MOT test sake if nothing else.

Thats news to me! The cars always been a VR6.... If theres likely to be an MOT issue then I'll sell the yokos and source some 205s. There must be lots of people running 195s on aftermarket rims incorrectly...

Cheers for the input!

Thats news to me! The cars always been a VR6....

Ah, was just your forum name "was8v" I assumed that meant something .. :)

There's lots of people running questionable tyres all over the place, but that doesn't make it a good idea! ;)

IIRC when researching MOT after JonesMark's recent "issues" apparently the MOT states basically tyres must be suotable for teh wheels mounted to.. I.e. Stretch IS an MOT fail.... and stupid.. (All IMHO)

IIRC when researching MOT after JonesMark's recent "issues" apparently the MOT states basically tyres must be suotable for teh wheels mounted to.. I.e. Stretch IS an MOT fail.... and stupid.. (All IMHO)

Stretch has always been an MOT fail.

Although 195s on a 7" wide rim is fine, again it was a stock size for some cars.

185/55/15 or 195/50/15

were standard sizes on early Valver,so the Car manual says right here 8)

anyway we swopped from 185's to 195's as the size is Far cheaper

I got 4 pilots for £220 and you r a cosco memeber you can get them for £180

you might find that you insurance could be null and void if you are in an accident tho..........as VW states 205's for the Corrado VR so therefore you are under tyred according to the manufacturers spec