Sign in to follow this  
storm_warning

"Like following a diesel"... erm, suggestions?!

After racing, sorry, driving well within the limits, the other night against my mate's M3 (yeah, I like a fair fight!), he said every upshift was followed with a puff of smoke which he said was like following a diesel. Black or blue was answered with I don't know.

I have a VR6 with 180K on the clock. It's not had a good life. It was a Blue Arrow lease car (a Storm!!!) for five years, then I bought it from Four Marks, took it back to them damanding my money back due to it's (very) poor state which became apparent in the first week (like 3 litres of oil a week...) which they said they'd fix. 5 weeks later I got a car which I then took to a VW garage and paid to have repaired, but the engine had had a lovely tapping ever since. But, it's always pulled nice and hard and only let me down with broken clutches, blown fuses and leaking water pumps in the 6 years I've had it, so I shouldn't complain.

But now this and it worries me. Before I go mad with worry, should I start looking for a new engine, or are puffs of smoke when pushing the engine hard normal?! Can't see anything from the mirrors.

I love my car and never want to lose it. :(

Best to know the colour of the smoke to determing overfuelling - black or oil burning - blue.

A compression test would probably give you a good idea as to whats causing it.

With the mileage,and history id lean towards oil burning meself.

Neil. :)

A puff of smoke on gearchanges when you're pushing it hard isn't really a surprise. Be concerned if the car is failing MOTs due to emissions, or if it's using significant quantities of oil, but otherwise just ignore it.

If it's drinking anything less than 1litre of oil every thousand miles, then ignore it.

Otherwise I'd suspect that it was a valve stem oil seal that got replaced previously - it would explain the tappet noise that I'd guess is also an easier job than the other 2 options...

Worn piston rings could be causing smoke too and to fix that you have to take the entire engine apart to get the piston out, replace the rings and put it all back together again.

The last option is worn cylinders, which is not un-common on high-mileage VRs - essentially the pistons wear to a slightly oval shape, so you don't get a good seal between the piston, rings and cylinder. If that's the case, it's new-block time. So take the engine entirely apart, replace the block, rebuild it from scratch (or more likely just get another engine).

So none of them are pleasant options, but as I said - anything less than 1litre of fuel every 1000 miles don't worry about.

A litre every 1000 miles either means wrong grade of oil, a leak or an engine that needs some attention soon!

VW stick that in the manual to cover themselves while the engine is running in, IMO a good engine should use no more than 1/2 Ltr every 3-5k's and 1Ltr per 3-5 max.

mine did that at 111000 milage numbers 1 and 6 cylinders were shot

I think new engine or rebuild or 24v transplant

speak to Andy at PSI Tuning or Vince at Stealth

PSI definitely do the whole shebang and did Stan 24v's car.

They can source all the bits for you but it's considerably more than £3k to get it done.

definitely speak to Andy at PSI he can put anything into anything - he has an Audi S3 into VW Caddy

S4 V8 4.2 into A4 TDI like it was factory

24v into Corrado - he's doing another one now

S3 into Golf Mk1 and Mk2

He services all my cars which are at present

Audi S3 270bhp

Corrado VR6 223 plus bhp

Fully restored Golf MK1 Gti Campaign don't know bhp but has Supersprint exhaust manifold and full exhaust otherwise standar but is booked in with Andy very soon

Speak to Vince also cos his engine rebuilds are second to none

Do it, do it! Save up your pennies for a 24V, you won't regret it :D

All in, how much do you think your conversion cost? Also, what does the 24v sound like?!! I absolutely LOVE my VR6 with it's induction kit, regardless of how long I have owned it, the noise still puts a massive smile on my face... :nuts:

Do it, do it! Save up your pennies for a 24V, you won't regret it :D

All in, how much do you think your conversion cost? Also, what does the 24v sound like?!! I absolutely LOVE my VR6 with it's induction kit, regardless of how long I have owned it, the noise still puts a massive smile on my face... :nuts:[/quote:1bkvwntc]

You'll need to speak to Stan about how much it cost as I bought the car from him. I think he got it for a very reasonable price as it was PSI's first one. In saying that the 24v engine may be a bit cheaper now though? Try giving PSI a phone and see what Andy says price wise.

As for the sound, I absolutely love it :D . I used to have a Storm with a PiperX viper kit on it and I reckon the 24v with a K&N is way nicer than that 8)

the 24v with a K&N is way nicer

Record it and share!!!!! Maybe I should start a new thread looking for the best sounding Corrado....[/quote:141le22z]

I'll see what I can do at the weekend :wink:

went to psi last saturday he has just sorted my mk1 golf gti and has done another 24v conversion into a c vr6 which looks like it came out of the factory like it -- absolutely immense!! The owner is absolutely very happy and the car sounds fantastic