Sign in to follow this  
fla

Coolant type

I kow we should use G12+ in teh system, but if the system is drained completely, rad flushed out and the block fluched, would there be any reason not to use a generic coolant in the same ratios as the G12+? I would imagine that any G11/G12 previosuly used would be cleaned out so there would be minimal risk of any sludge etc forming? Thoughts?

We have gone over to G12+ completely, just keeping G11 and G12 for topping up systems. If we do a change, we go over to G12+ and mark the coolant tank to show this has been done. G12+ can mix with G11 but G12 can't.

No point using anything else really, it's no more expensive than the generic stuff, same with the screenwash - the VW stuff is actually cheaper than Halfords...

It is alleged that G12+ lasts much longer without changing. Depending on what you read this ranges from 3 years up to life of car. :?

For the past 30 years in my experience, changing of coolant has had to be about every year or two, so this news about G12+ is very welcome. However, scepticism about such claims is never totally diminished until we have several years experience of the new thang. I recall oil changes at 3k miles and many keen people - some of 'em on this forum - probably stick closer to this than the 10-20k type intervals that are so well known now.

Anyone know the VAG recommendation for change intervals for G12+?

VAG say G12+ is for life (there used to be a coolant called Forlife) which really means ten years. As most modern VAG products run the cam belt on the water pump, it will get changed ever four years anyway, hopefully!