Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Pete Griff's 'Rado R32 - (Not quite!) Alive at last! :D

Just think of it this way, you are going to be getting and resolving all potential problem I might face so I will know what needs to be done :lol:

:p:p:p

thanks very much for all the positive comments gents - i can assure you it does make a difference! :)

i know it will be done before long - really really looking forward to that first drive once EVERYTHING is sorted as i want it, but that won't be for a little while yet.

i have ordered my new clutch master and flexi line, so i'll get that sorted as soon as i get the car back. it still won't cure my 1st-gear grinding though.

i'm praying that when i swap the end plate on the gearbox the noise vanishes instantly, but somehow i don't think it will...

so have you decided what your doing yet??

personally i would get the vag-doctor to sort out the fault codes, and get him to do the re-map, then sometime next year get it to stealth for its final re-map.

just imagine how p'd of you would be if the vag-doctor gets the faults sorted, then you get it to stealth again for vince to find some more faults pop up??

you understand what i'm saying??

so have you decided what your doing yet??

personally i would get the vag-doctor to sort out the fault codes, and get him to do the re-map, then sometime next year get it to stealth for its final re-map.

just imagine how p'd of you would be if the vag-doctor gets the faults sorted, then you get it to stealth again for vince to find some more faults pop up??

you understand what i'm saying??

thanks buddy - way ahead of there actually - i've already spoken to vince today.

i said i would pay him for his time yesterday and explained because of the potential hasstle that i would just get the vag-doc to map it for me too.

in all fairness (i'm not sure how much i'm going to get shot down in flames for saying this on this forum...) but there's a chance that the vag-doc could well be just as good at mapping if not better in some areas than stealth anyway... (holds breath!)

vince was saying how he's still working on his map for a useable throttle pedal and not one that is all or nothing after a very small amount of travel - the vag-doc has had his working for ages.

also the vag-doc doesn't have to desoulder the chip from the ecu board to remap it like vince said he would have to...

90% of the vag-doc's work is remapping and that includes mostly new diesel cars e.g bmw's, mercs and vag stuff obviously; he spends a lot of money each year in just sorting out kit/codes etc for all the latest cars out and has got contacts to get code from who work for bosch and various other places - like i said before - he seems like one seriously switched on cookie.

i was talking to him all about mapping and getting access to the codes etc that manufacturers don't want you to do. it's one bloody interesting subject of which i personally could barely ever hope to skim the surface, the guy really does seem to be very switched on though. (unless i'm just particularly easy to bull$hit! :lol:)

i guess the proof of the pudding is in the driving anyway! - i said to vince i wouldn't mind popping it up there so he can see how everything has been setup and stick it on the rollers to see if it's making the right sort of figures. he seemed happy with that, so once it's all sorted, i should know for certain :)

All that makes total sence mate, I would totally go down the route you've chosen given your circumstances.

good stuff. Like everyone has said you will always get snags on projects like this. Mine wont even start at the moment lol

We'll get them all sorted man ;)

I'd be doing precisely what you have chosen to do, Pete. Go with the Vag-doctor if he does this kind of thing all the time; and like Karl says, its in the right place for him to sort out all the fault code problems too. I am sure Vince will get his R32 workarounds and mapping sorted very soon, but you'd be mad not to go to the person who is currently leading the way...

BTW, where are you posted to next?

You're not easy to bull$hit Pete, Mark really does know his stuff. He's going to be a busy bee over Christmas sorting out the error codes for you.

Shameless plug, this is vag-docs website - http://www.southwestincartech.co.uk/

no shameless plug there at all Kaz - more than happy to plug Mark's business for the work he's done so far - been really happy with the way everythings gone and the way i've been treated :)

not only has Mark done a great job so far, but he's a bloody nice guy to boot. (i'm sorry to have dropped off such a nightmare car for him :? )

by the way - i noticed he has customers cars on the website. if it would help him, once i've got all the paintwork etc back to the decent standard it should be, i'm more than happy to have him take a load of photos etc of the car when it's shiny so he can use them.

merry xmas by the way everyone :x-mas:

Amazing build thread pete, just read through the whole lot...well done :clap: just hope it not too long before you get it back and fully sorted....it WILL be worth all the frustration when its done :D

Mart

Amazing build thread pete, just read through the whole lot...well done :clap: just hope it not too long before you get it back and fully sorted....it WILL be worth all the frustration when its done :D

Mart

thanks very much for that buddy - just can't wait to get it all back and sorted really...

thought i would do a v quick update -

i've bought a new clutch master and a new flexi line (already got a new slave) as my gear change has suffered since i've done the engine swap - put it down to running squishy silicone fluid, having an uprated helix clutch and an old original master.

hopefully the new bits, plus normal fluid should sort the notchiness out...

also bought a new drive-by-wire pedal (as the one the breaker sent me was broken - typical!) for a mk5 r32 - it's nice and shiny and will fit in well with my existing TT pedals.

also, still waiting on getting the electrical issues sorted - been in regular contact with the vag-doc. he thinks it might be ecu related again, so is going to try and get hold of a known working ecu and see if that sorts things...

also he has a funky canbus converter, so he's going to see if he can sort me with an engine management light and also hopefully get the mpg function working on the mfa... :D

also going to order up a new genuine rad so i can make use of crazydave's rather nice frickin' laser cut fan brackets.

still no definitive news on what's oging on with the gearbox until i can get everything else sorted...

that's where we stand at the mo, hopefully i will have some more news soon.

Pete

:)

Glad you are making some sort of progress! It's been very quiet on your car front on here! Any ideas on when the whole lot should come together?

Yes, exactly... really looking forward to hearing that this is finally sorted, Pete. It seems to have been ages since the engine went in. I'm sure you are even more eager than us to hear it running properly though! :D :D

Keep us updated.

hello again all, thanks for the positive comments - i promise as soon as it's sorted i'll let you all know - i'm getting pretty hacked off with waiting i have to admit. but then it's going to take as long as it takes - the vag-doc has been on it as often as he reasonably can and we are hopefully slowly getting to the bottom of said electical gremlins...

i'm going past bristol tomorrow, so i'll hopefully have some more news on progress either tomorrow or monday...

(although getting internet access at the moment is proving a bit of an issue due to work commitments :? )

anyway, yes as Chris says i may have been splashing the cash AGAIN!!!

i was lined up to buy a set of otteinger wheels at the end of this month, but that fell through.

however, my quest to have a set of summer and winter wheels was soon satisfied when i stumbled across these on ebay... - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0364270717

needless to say i snapped them up at what i thought was an absolute bargain price for a set of brand new wheels still in the boxes! i have to say i actually prefer these to the otty's and they are also fairly rare, so i was pleased! :D

i have 4 brand new proxes 4's sat in the garage to dress these with as well.

they will hopefully clear my brembos when i get hold of them with no dramas, so i can then set about getting my lovely RX's refurbed for the summer.

i've got a new set of eagle f1 gsd3's on the rear of my RX's right now and some horrible nondescipt make on the fronts, which i shall shred at the earliest possible opportunity and replace with some more eagles asap. that probably won't happen until the summer time now though...

anyway, i have a piccie of the nice shiny new pedal on my phone, so i'll do my best to get the posted up tomorrow.

i'm also going to post a big for sale list of random vr6 bits and bobs shortly (redunant from my conversion) so keep your eyes peeled on the for sale section :)

thanks again to all those who have posted positive comments - really can't wait to get it all finished and back on the road now.

the list before then goes:-

- sort electrical issues and get remap

- replace radiator and fit new laser cut fan brackets and new 8" fan

- replace temporary fix for oil pressure sender with permanent solution (likely a oil flexi line with the relevant female end)

- at the same time, rob the oil temp sender off the old vr engine and plumb that onto the same oil take off for the pressure sender - giving me the oil temp mfa function back

- drive the car back up to the place that rebuilt the gearbox and get the horrible rattling issue in 1st sorted

- fit brembo's on front and 280's on rear (if current group-buy goes ahead...)

HOLD BREATH......... ENJOY DRIVING (AND NOT FIXING) CAR AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! :D

well i have a small update - not much has happened to the car since my last post - still waiting for the news.

starting to get a little dispondent now i have to admit - i can't even begin to describe just how much i want it back so i can reap the rewards of my hard work.

even when i get it back, i've still got a couple of small kinks to iron out (no biggie), but what's really pi$$ing me off is the fact the the gearbox is going to have to come out because the fecking stupid garage didn't rebuild it properly like they were supposed to! :bad-words:

on the plus side, thanks to the VAG-doc very kindly found me an acid-free battery on the cheap which is currently setting up home in my boot! :D

i'll try and get some decent pics of it when i'm next down that way...

anyway. below are a couple of piccies for your enjoyment.

there is one of my shiny new drive-by-wire pedal that will be going in when i know exactly where i want it. i have a rough pedal (that works!) to do a mock up with in the mean time, as pedal placement is after all, a very personal thing. the new r32 peal will be going in as soon as i'm happy with how it's proposed postion feels to drive with.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfSD530941.jpg[/attachment:3ozott4e]

also i have a (poor quality phone) pic of the car with the new winter wheels on - very happy with these personally. they are nowhere near as classy as the BBS which is why they will only be winter wheels, but i still think they suit the car nicely and they look like they should hopefully have plenty of clearance for my inbound brembos. :D

Corrado92.pdfPhoto012.jpg[/attachment:3ozott4e]

lastly, saving the best for last! i have been in drastic need of a toolbox for some time now as i have a habit of acquiring tools and have had nowhere to put them until now. vey fortunately a friend of mine no longer needs his box, but badly needs cash. the box is in absolutely awesome conditon and is basically exactly the same as it came out of the factory. i'm paying him less than 1/3 of the original cost from new. i'll let the pics of the box do the talking...

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC_0033.jpg[/attachment:3ozott4e]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC_0017.jpg[/attachment:3ozott4e]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC_0002.jpg[/attachment:3ozott4e]

DSC_0061.jpg[/attachment:3ozott4e]

Cool, loving the Abt's. Looked at them while ago and pretty pissed of I didnt fir them now as they look way better than I imagined.

Dont worry it is worth it in the end.

Hey Pete, looking good there chap, those wheels look 8) perfect for winter wheels, so easy to clean! Toolbox is the dogs bollx, very nice :D

Wish i had a tiled garage like that :(

The best things are worth waiting for :D

thanks for the positive comments gents - really appreciated. wasn't sure i had made the right decision with the wheels until i got them on the car - very happy with how they look! :)

i really do wish that garage was mine! - that's the VAG-doc's haunt! - very very nice a well. he has an absolutely stunning Mk2 there; i had my first good look round it the other day; it's UNBELIEVABLY immaculate! :shock: :notworthy:

wow. excellent work mate. gives me the temptation to try something like this myself. just wish i had the space to do it! you seem to have the knowledge to do it aswell!

i understand the pain your going through Pete, but it will be worth it??

also dare i say it but i prefer the ABT's to the BBS's :shock:

well i thought it was time for another update.

the car is still not finshed. VAG-doc has bentrying his best, but with workshop moves, vans breaking down etc, there hasn't been the time.

i was really really gutted i couldn't take it to UD today, but i had a nice time nonetheless.

anyway - i'm going down to help VAG-doc on weds and he has set the whole day aside for me, so fingers crossed unless anything bizzarre happens, the car will be more or less done by weds evening. Mark has very kindly agreed to help me with the couple of mechanical things i have left to do (as i have currently broken my wrist, so would find it pretty difficult on my own!), so once i take it from his, the only thing that should need sorting is the gearbox issues with 1st. i'm really hoping the gearbox place doesn't get funny with me about their work; at the end of the day it was fine when i took it in there, so they should hopefully just cover it under "warranty" or whatever.

waiting to go on the car now is a nice oil adaptor i made up for the oil temp/pressure senders, the new denso rad with 12" & 8" davies craig fans and CrazyDave's lovely lovely laser brackets, and my new R32 DBW pedal once i've decided where the pedal is going to sit.

also i was lucky enough to pick up a steal on something very very nice at UD today... going to get it sprayed up before long, then should hopefully be at least another 10kg lighter at the front... :norty:

piccies:

I saw that and thought hmmmmm........ Then saw "Sold" and thought.... Oh well....

hey buddy, did you like? :norty:

did you get the chance to pick it up to feel the weight - it's unbelievable! :shock:

also saw your car as i was leaving and got out to have a v quick nose around it! - looks really really nice buddy (loving the wheels), glad to see you splashed out at the stealers the other day - hope you get it all fitted asap :D

defiantly get the bonnet sprayed mate, when i had mine fitted all the local chavs used 2 say was sick bonnet :censored: