mic_VR

VR6 Spark Plugs

Quick questions.

I'm hoping to give the old VR6 the once over tomorrow and now I've got a lead tool I can finally get at my spark plugs to check those to make sure all is well.

So my questions, 1.) what should the spark plug gap be on a standard VR (or what gaps have people had good results with?)

And, 2.) If mine are looking in a bad way what replacement plugs do people recommend?

All help/advise appreciated as usual. :D

Just stick some NGK BKR5Es in mate, with the 'out of the box' 0.026" gap :-) They're cheap as chips and you can get them from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk

Contrary to popular believe, the VR6 does not need expensive platinum or Iridium plugs. All they do is extend service life. They don't improve spark energy, which is a common misconception.

Cheers Kev, once again there to help me out! :lol:

I'll get down to my local motor factors this afternoon and get a set of those plugs. Don't know what kind of condition the olds ones are in but definitely haven't been changed in a few years and at that price it'd be silly not to.

spark plugs, and de-cat pipe mic :) you trying to get as much power out of the car at the stealth rolling road day then????

Damn I'm found out! :lol:

The decat is in it for a power gain, but the spark plugs are to try to cue my dodgy running issues. Want to get all the little bits and bobs sorted before going for big power.

So I managed to get the spark plugs out over the weekend and was pleasently surprised at how good condition they were in. All 6 plugs looked like this...

12112007102.jpg

All nice and clean, minimal deposits and not oil/fuel fouling so I just put them all back. :D

Only thing I don't know is... due to the style of the electrodes I couldn't check the gaps to make sure they were ok, and they were bosch supers r6's so not sure if they were the right ones for the motor. But since they looked ok I'm guessing that they're fine? I'm sure if not you lot will put me straight. :lol: