Sign in to follow this  
davej

rear light tinting

anyone on here tinted their rear light clusters to avoid spending 100 quid on tinted or clear replacements? i'dideally like smoked rears, but was wondering if i could tint the orange section red?

I'm aware tinting often looks a bit shit, so wondering if anyone's done it well?! :)

anyone?

I followed the guide, my best tip is take your time. Mine are well over a year old now and they havent faded at all and really dont look like they were painted..

Use plenty of laquer at the end..

I'm gonna attempt this soon, got the spray tint, got the wet and dry, just gotta get the laquer.

Goldie what laquer did you use? Any tips on which is best? Also, what did you do with the bulbs? Green glass paint? Or replace for led bulbs and a resistor?

Cheers, and sorry for the hijack! :D

no probs! :D

never seen that post before, bloody fantastic! will give it a go soon when it's not pissing it down outside!

Make sure you have some nail varnish remover to get rid of any mistakes- works a treat on the tint if you go wrong.

Don't worry if the laquer still isn't totally smooth/clear even after several coats. When the laquer has hardened properly (I'd leave it a few days to be sure) give it a really good going over with some very fine wet and dry e.g. 1200 grit.

Then use a cutting compound (safe cut, Autoglym paint restorer etc) to bring out a really smooth, shiny factory finish.

:lol: i nearly mentioned tinted lights to you the other day! saw you got the wheels on. looks smart.. 8)

i've got some all red in-pro's ive been meaning to tidy and put on the bay, you might be interested?

http://www.corrado-club.ca/

Check here out as well for a really good tinting uide in the technical section. I used this guide to do my last white rado's tailights and they turned out really good. Unfortunately, they got sold with the car. See here:

DSC01060.jpg

This website also has a lot of other great info on other DIY projects.

I have a spare set of crystal In-Pro's that I am going to fit the set of red empire grafix overlays to create an all-red crystal set of In-Pro's. I also have another set of standard rado rear tailights that I am going to top-tint as per the corrado club of Canada guide, like on my last rado. And I also have another set of Smoked In-Pro's currently on the car, so I will have the full set if I fancy a change ! (although reckon these may be up for sale soon, 3 good sets is just greedy ! ;-))