Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

vr6 auto acceleration?

hi , just wondered if there was a diference in the exelaration in a vr6 auto compared to a manual , couldnt find anything in the search, many thanks.

mistrall.

I hope you mean acceleration.. ! :)

Yes, the Auto is slower and does less MPG, as you'd expect, but I don't recall the true figures.

would you say noticably slower? my spelling is bad lol

I think the 0-60 is about 1-2 seconds slower, so yes, noticeably.

The auto is about 1 sec slower - manualis 6.4 to 60 auto is 7.3 iirc, but these are pretty academic. When you're moving believe me you'll give a few people a shock when you kick down.

VR auto's are great, whilst i'd still have a manual given the choice the auto box is good and with the kickdown gives some great torque... engines will probably be in generally better condition to due to the autobox but as matt says they won't be as versatile as a manual and the torque converter will sap some power - I also doubt you'll see the 35mpg average you can get out of the stick shift.

when you say kik down , how does that work exactly? , never driven an auto befor lol .

and also when u choose the manual gear change in 1st 2nd 3rd , do i still have the loss in power?

need somthing reasonably looked after you see but still want to smile like mad when i drive and not shure if the auto will still do that or not.

infact i have never driven anything more powerfull than my valver but would like somthing that has alot more kik , do you think it will be ok auto wize? many thanks lads .

Kick down is bassically a button on the bottom of the throttle pedal, when you floor it it drops a gear and rev's further (depending on what revs / gear your in etc) - it's ECU controlled but fairly basic...

If you want a real 'kick' tho buy a G60 - loads of good ones for sale recently!

been searching for months for a good g60 :( found one but the guy let me down , and i only have 3k to spend , any ideas were i should be looking ? realy need a car atm too :(

would you say noticably slower? my spelling is bad lol

Is that the official VW quoted 0-60 times for the cars? As done by a driver that doesn't use the clutch when he changes gear in a manual car? Aren't all official 0-60 times quoted for manual cars, not just VW, quicker than the average driver can get? I doubt if I could get the quoted 0-60 time out of my G60.

But the official quoted 0-60 times for an auto gearbox car can be obtained by the average driver as the gearbox is going to change gear automatically at the same time whoever mashes the go fast pedal.

So I reckon that in a drag race the auto VR6 will be faster to 60 than a manual car. Cause when you dip the clutch to change gear you lose drive, the auto box car doesn't. Or am I talking out my arse? :)

Hello Steyning! I do love the A283 from the Washington roundabout. A great short stretch of road to drive, even in a slush box car.

I think the auto has 4 cogs making it slower aswell as suffering from power loss. And all manual corrado drivers are distantly related to the stig!

Is that the official VW quoted 0-60 times for the cars?

No. Someone else posted those further down ..

So I reckon that in a drag race the auto VR6 will be faster to 60 than a manual car. Cause when you dip the clutch to change gear you lose drive, the auto box car doesn't. Or am I talking out my arse? :)

I smell something ... ;)

There will be a very short period of time when the manual car is changing gear (of course), but it has several advantages that more than offset that:

- lower gear ratios giving more torque at the road in any given gear (5 vs 4 cogs .. )

- direct connection between crank and wheel gives the engine something to work against

- lower drivetrain losses - the auto is slipping all the time, all that slippage translates directly into lost energy

It would have to be a pretty ham-footed driver to make the manual car slower than the auto one. Plus on the VR6 there's only one gear change from 0-60.

Ok how easy is it to change an auto to a manual ?

Whats needed,gearbox Ecu ?

Why bother? A just buy a manual VR6 and enjoy the benefits of a manual box fron day 1.

Is that the official VW quoted 0-60 times for the cars?

No. Someone else posted those further down ..

I smell something ... ;)

There will be a very short period of time when the manual car is changing gear (of course), but it has several advantages that more than offset that:

- lower gear ratios giving more torque at the road in any given gear (5 vs 4 cogs .. )

- direct connection between crank and wheel gives the engine something to work against

- lower drivetrain losses - the auto is slipping all the time, all that slippage translates directly into lost energy

It would have to be a pretty ham-footed driver to make the manual car slower than the auto one. Plus on the VR6 there's only one gear change from 0-60.[/quote:1q9v95ca]

dr_mat, I admire your knowledge but to save an arguement I reckon there's only one way to prove which type of gearbox is quicker to 60. Well probably quicker over a 1/4 mile. Has there ever been a drag race between an auto and manual? If not I feel there should be one. That would prove it one way or another. :)

dr_mat, I admire your knowledge but to save an arguement I reckon there's only one way to prove which type of gearbox is quicker to 60. Well probably quicker over a 1/4 mile. Has there ever been a drag race between an auto and manual? If not I feel there should be one. That would prove it one way or another. :)

I'm sure there will have been, and I'm sure the manual car will have won .. ;)

But I wasn't there if there was and nor am I particularly bothered .. after all, if you take two seemingly identical Corrados completely at random and at 12 years old you can bet that the performance difference between them will be noticeable before you even start factoring in the driver's skill.

(BTW: the auto box loses out more and more as speeds increase - there's no doubt that 0-30 in an auto is going to be quick even if the driver is a four year old mongoose, and that it requires a lot more skill to get the same performance out of the manual car, but as speed increases .. e.g. 60-90 in the manual will have a big advantage over the auto box.)

The auto is working in hydraulic transmssion from gears 1-3 so there is a huge power loss there. Its only 4th gear that is direct drive. I had the same issue witha 330 beamer recently - managed to keep up with him, but not get past although i was at 6000rpm, simply because it was in third. A manual would have taken him comfortably.

All you have to do is look at auto to manual performance figures of any car excluding the most up-to-date dsc tiptronic stuff. Manual is always significantly faster and could even win with a bad gear change.