Sign in to follow this  
Dee-Vub

The 2.8 into a rado.

Right since my engine went down the pan, i am sourcing a replacement...or a temp replacement till i rebuild the 2.9(to quite a crazy spec :D) I have found a 2.8 engine from a 98 golf with only 48k on the engine. It was rear ended and i am being offered at a decent price considering the mileage. I have been told by others that the vaery later 2.8's seem to be pushing 190bhp+ and not the usual 174bhp.

So i am quite interested in this route due to the engine being such low mileage. Speaking to storm developents also, they say all i'll need to change is the inlet manifold for it to drop straight in, and others have recommended keeping the 2.9 throttle body. Now i have hear people doing OBD1 to OBD2 conversions......can anyone tell me, do i NEED the loom and ecu etc from the OBD2 to make it work?

What do you guys think of the plan? some people are saying go with the 2.8, some are saying stick it out till i find a 2.9.

Cheers, phil

I imagine you would need the loom and ecu etc to use the 2.8 because of it being OBD2 and the rado being OBD1. I think it would be a lot of hassle although if you put the effort in now then eventually when you put your rebuilt 2.9 back in you could convert that to OBD2 and have a better setup.

It's the OBD2 2.8s that consistently make around 185-190hp. It's my favourite 12V engine. I'd drop in one into a Corrado no problem. It has a more solid, robust, reliable and smoother feel to it than the 2.9. Really late 2.8s (1998/99) have single upper cam chains, which makes them a bit quieter than the older engines.

Anyway, moving on.... forget the OBD1 2.9 and 2.8 throttle comparisons, there is ZERO performance advantage with the 2.9 TB. It has exactly the same throttle plate as the 2.8 TB.

I prefer the 2.8 throttle as it has a ramp in the throat to make it more progressive and a lighter spring.

To install OBD2 is a bit of a ball ache. You need the following:-

Key, transponder, immobiliser box and loom

ECU

Main harness

Electric Throttle

Manifold

3 bar fuel reg

Lambda sensor

MAF sensor

To get it in the car you need to remove the brake servo and the loom needs shortening and lengthening in places, aswell as removing duplicated wires for neatness.

It's a job and a half....

I think Trig did the OB1 kenobe to R2D2 conversion and it took him a life time if you can find his thread.

he had it done but i think vince did most of the work from what i remember.. he was very happy with it though..

more recently i think vrtrickster did it himself?

Speaking to storm, they are leading me to bleieve i can just change the injector rail, inlet manifold and throttle body and it'll drop straight in and hook up to my original loom?

This true?

The engine is from a 98 mk3 golf

Speaking to storm, they are leading me to bleieve i can just change the injector rail, inlet manifold and throttle body and it'll drop straight in and hook up to my original loom?

This true?

What about changing the ecu from 2.9 to 2.8?

or wont you need to?

This true?

This is correct but you wont be running OBD2 as Corrado's only came with OBD1. The TB and inlet can both be swapped on a OBD1 car and will give marginal gains but the real difference as already stated is the 24pin chip in the OBD2 ECU..... OBD1's only have 12pin ECU's.

C. Will Corrado G60 2 if thats a standard 2.8 with a Vortech/Zed charger then those are very good figures :)

C. Will Corrado G60 2 if thats a standard 2.8 with a Vortech/Zed charger then those are very good figures :)

The block is standard but it's a stage 3 set-up and I have a schimmel short intake also. Makes for a smoother delivery. Very happy with teh results though. :D :D

The block is standard but it's a stage 3 set-up and I have a schimmel short intake also. Makes for a smoother delivery. Very happy with teh results though. :D :D

Doh.... I should have just read your sig! :lol:

he had it done but i think vince did most of the work from what i remember.. he was very happy with it though..

more recently i think vrtrickster did it himself?

It did have a few odd charictoristics after the conversion though, it has to be said.

This is correct but you wont be running OBD2 as Corrado's only came with OBD1. The TB and inlet can both be swapped on a OBD1 car and will give marginal gains but the real difference as already stated is the 24pin chip in the OBD2 ECU..... OBD1's only have 12pin ECU's.

Sorry to be a University challenge know it all arse wipe, but OBD2 have 'postage stamp' 42pin chips and OBD1 has a normal 24pin Eprom.

To be fully OBD2 you'll need the ECU, lambda, MAF and throttle body as mentioned earlier.

OBD2 is king. It has 75 seperate maps compared to OBD1's 30 odd. It's the management of choice. Well worth the retrofit imo and it's a lot nicer to map than OBD1 for future mods.

Sorry to be a University challenge know it all arse wipe, but OBD2 have 'postage stamp' 42pin chips and OBD1 has a normal 24pin Eprom.

To be fully OBD2 you'll need the ECU, lambda, MAF and throttle body as mentioned earlier.

OBD2 is king. It has 75 seperate maps compared to OBD1's 30 odd. It's the management of choice. Well worth the retrofit imo and it's a lot nicer to map than OBD1 for future mods.

By the by Im breaking a 1998 Mk3 golf vr which is obdII

Fuck sake i am uber confused now!!!!!

So if i was to use an OBD2 ECU, surely i would need the OBD2 loom to hook on to that ECU or the connectors wont hook up?

I'm not massively bothered about future mods etc because the 2.9 is going to get rebuilt and then put back in. Aslong as i will still see my 190+bhp, with the throttle body and inlet manifold from tthe 2.9?

sorry to be a complete noob,but whats the MAF?

And so if i am to go OBD2, what is everything that i will need?

Loom, ECU, MAF, lambda, and throttlebody? Anything else and will that all drop straight in?

Only thing is, as standard these engines are meant to produce 174bhp...not so keen on that considering the 2.9 pulls 190bhp as standard! What parts would i be best using from the 2.9 to use on the 2.8? Obviously the inlet manifold and the injector rail? What else?

@ Bigpants baby, i might take you up on that....what mileage is the engine?

And so if i am to go OBD2, what is everything that i will need?

Loom, ECU, MAF, lambda, and throttlebody? Anything else and will that all drop straight in?

Only thing is, as standard these engines are meant to produce 174bhp...not so keen on that considering the 2.9 pulls 190bhp as standard! What parts would i be best using from the 2.9 to use on the 2.8? Obviously the inlet manifold and the injector rail? What else?

@ Bigpants baby, i might take you up on that....what mileage is the engine?

What you could do is just use the 2.8 engine in your set up & keep it obd1 using all the corrado bits,not too sure if you would have to change the ecu?

To change to odbII youll need:

Part of the main car loom yes

Engine loom yes

Inlet mani & throttle body inlet

Ecu no

Mass airflow meter yes

Lambda sen no

(ive put yes & no on the side of the parts as its what I have left for sale)

Sorry engine sold,but have a few 2.9 engines

right since this engine is just a temp thing i am going to leave it OBD1 for simplicity. The 2.9 will be getting rebuilt and put back in anyway, so its not a major deal. Aslong as the power is still roughly similar.

I'v hear that the later VR6 engines are still stated at 174bhp but tend to push out ALOT more, nearer the 200bhp mark :D