Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

An RS4 made my VR6 look like it was standing still...

If I could afford an RS4, i'd have one in a second.

I love the Corrado for what it is but if the funds permitted, i'd drop it in a heartbeat for something more exciting make no mistake! The Corrado has soul that cars in this price range do not have.. but I fully believe that big Q cars like BMW M's and RS Audi's have just as much as the Corrado has!

don't try and convince me that it's quicker than am RS4, a Boxster S or even a Golf R32 because it isn't.

I don't need too because mine was !! ;-) :lol:

Boxster S was a piece of p*ss to beat ;-)

Never raced an RS4 but I did beat a 996 Carrera 4S on the way to the 06 E38 show though ;-)

Sorry John.. 8)

Ben

There are always exceptions to the rule. Last I heard...Corrados didn't come with 340 hp and AWD from the factory. ;-)

hehe ;-) :lol:

Don't think there would be a chance that a VRT (unless it has something silly like 500BHP and 4wd) would beat a current B7 RS4 TBH. Audi figures are 0-60 in 4.8secs, but apparently several independant tests have shown it can achieve it in around 4.2secs, and if de-limited can push 180MPH+.

Define beat though? If you're talking from a standstill, then yes, the Audi would very obviously pull away, but the gap would not be there for long.

In terms of top speed beating, well, again yes the Audi wins because VR6's need 7000rpm to realise 173mph in top gear. Change 5th gear though or fit an 02M and top speed no longer becomes a problem, although I'm not sure how stable a C would be at those speeds and you'd need 180+ capable tyres and 180+ capable suspension too, not cheap.

My definition of 'beat' is a show of grunt in the real world. Real world 50-70s, real world 30-60's, real world 70-120s and so on.

And I can tell you this - with my VRT running 11psi of boost, I have already beaten a V8 M3 and a current RS4 in all the key incremental acceleration times.

You have to remember that both the Bimmer and Audi are lard arses and their engines produce low torque in comparison to their power and you need a lot of revs to get to that torque....albeit lower in the case of the Audi versus BMW.

I'm not knocking either car, I'd own them both in a shot and as impressive as the Audi and Bimmer are on paper, it's guys like us out on the streets who are gathering the REAL data. I'm not saying VR6 turbos are Supercar smashers, but until you've experienced a well prepared one, you have no idea how fast they are, in the real world.....

Comparing it with a turbo'd Corrado is just pointless, as a modified RS4 would just dust even one of those all over again.

You'd need to get rid of the RS4's K04 turbos for a start. Put some GT2871RS on there and you're talking my language, but with only 1.35 litre per bank, you will be talking lag city.

Personally, I'd junk the twin turbo setup and run one GT35R. That'll give you 650hp easily, well over 100 more than the pair of K04s are capable of and the 35R won't break into a sweat either.

I doubt the biturbo motor is strong enough to take it and the transmission may have question marks too.

We KNOW that a VR6 can make 600hp with no internal mods and it has a 300cc capacity advantage, so will have the high rpm legs on the Audi. So although a modded modded RS4 (already modded by Audi once already) may well beat a VR6T, it would cost a massive amount more to achieve for the Audi owner.

Define beat though?

My definition of 'beat' is a show of grunt in the real world. Real world 50-70s, real world 30-60's, real world 70-120s and so on.

Couldnt agree with you more about that.

And its exactly times like that when my VR6 (even without a Turbo) comes into its own.

Its not just about figures on paper and horsepower and thats what a lot of people (not neccesarily on here, but people who "think" they know about cars) can't seem to understand.

And thankfully for a change this week i have been using mine a hell of a lot more than the usual boring trip to work. Been to Manchester, London and Dudley (of all places) all in the space of a week and can say (apart from that Audi! lol) nothing has troubled me or got in the way and its still a buzz to drive.

^^^

brilliantly said.

Those mph targets times are where most of us spend our time driving(a and looking for speed cameras).

I for one want something that is responsive in those mph ranges.

I think thats whats going to bring the most pleasure.

Well I guess it's what you define 'beat' as. Kev's already said his way of it, but there's many more definitions of 'beat'.

Exactly. You could beat the Audi cross country, beat it across a tesco car park, beat it from 0-376mph, beat it on a 1/4 mile track, beat it at a game of chess or even get out and beat it do death with a sledge hammer.

As dirtytorque says, 'beating' for the majority of us means the battle ground is on public roads. You can't do 0-60s on public roads with strangers, so the in gear acceleration times are as good a measure as any. The grunt the Audi had from 70mph compared to Del's standard VR6 was plain to see. What I'm trying to say is that in situations precisely like that, it would not pull away from a VR6 Turbo :-)

If other people prefer to define a beating on a 1/4 mile, that's fair enough and I would put my money on the RS4 beating pretty much any FWD corrado with up to 350hp, mainly because of the traction advantage. That said, 4WD on a 1/4 is purely to aid traction off the line. A FWD car with slicks will be hooked up by 3rd gear and will claw back the couple of car lengths very quickly.....but in plain B & W....who can get to the end of the track first is also a good demonstration of grunt and grip.

As an overall, complete package of beatingness, nothing beats the good old A to B test and the RS4 would score well there. But again, you can't exactly ask the driver in front in his Focus ST if he fancies a race to Shropshire via the A3434 and B6667.

Im glad we have some realistic comments in this post as opposed to paper figures.

I DO think its worth comparing a modded 10k car to 35k+ cars because it goes to show you can have just the same fun and speed experience without spending stooopido amounts of wonga.

Clearly if we were the sort of people that could afford to lose 40k on a car car outright then mod it further we wouldnt be on here. :lol: ...or maybe we would if we were overtaken by a 500bhp Corrado on a dual carriage way race :lol:

Clearly if we were the sort of people that could afford to lose 40k on a car outright then mod it further we wouldnt be on here. :lol:

...or maybe we would if we were overtaken by a 500bhp Corrado on a dual carriage way race :lol:

Very true :lol: