Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Damn, Hit a car up the A4se

Was driving along behind a Ford Ka in traffic and he suddenly slams on his brakes, Nothing i could do, hit his car about 7mph. :(

Unfortunately my car was lower than his bumper and the back of his car slid over my bumper and hit my lights and slam panel. :(

No injuries to anyone so thats the main thing.

Is it bad

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

I think i need......New Bumper, slam panel, headlight, Grill, bonnet.

Going through insurance and they gave me an option to go and get quotes and then get back to them.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what i;m looking at....

Could it be a write off :(

Beavisjem

just let the insurance pay the third party and repair the C your self............it'll still hit your NCD but as you are repairing the car yourself then it won't get written off

Ahh i see, they gave me option to go and get quotes and sort it myself, i took this option as my excess is £300

Lets see how much the parts are........look out for the wanted post :)

beavisjem

Unlucky. I too went into a Ford Ka at about 7mph, luckily in my old Laguna. Bust the grill on the Laguna but no damage to the Ka! Them damn stupid big plastic bumpers..

Hope you get it sorted..

Yeah its the late style light, tbh its pretty mangled and has no glass in it. The light seem brighter on that side :lol:

Anyways whats the best thing to do?

My excess is £300 :(

So i assume i will have to pay that anyways because of the third party, the problem is its still going to cost me about £500 to put it right, So that means i will be £800 out of pocket if i fix it myself.

Are the penalties against you're NCD etc reduced if you only claim for the third party and fix it yourself?

Another scenario.....If i get it repaired then great, but if they want to write it off then what would i expect to get? (£2000? its agreed value of £3500) If so i would end up with more money if i wrote it of and brought it back and fixed it.

Or wrote it off and brought it back and brought another?

What kind of prices do the insurance company offer it back to you for?

Anyone have any more advice?

Cheers for the replies

Beavisjem :cry:

Shame, I have an early headlight you could have had for free.

I think I'd discuss the writing off procedure with your insurers. If they agree to let you buy it back then you may as well let them write it off and pay out. Like you said, it's going to cost you your excess anyway but that way you'll be able to keep the car as a Cat C/D and have the funds to repair it, plus some change. As long as you don't mind owning a Cat C/D car then you could actually end up relatively unscathed.

Try and think of it as a positive thing...

Now you can get the carbon fibre bonnet, angel eyes, etc.

And a big retractable spike so that next time you hit a Ford Ka - kebab time... :lol:

Cheers for the comments guys.

Looks like i should give the insurers a call.

Just had a price from VW for the parts

bonnett - £355.63

slam panel - £554.08

headlight - £170

bumper - £465.10

indiator - £41.75

grill - £39.32

foglight £87.70

bumper grill - £48.63

splitter - £112.03

Thats £1754 for the parts, how they can charge these prices i don't know.

Beavisjem

Sorry to see that man :(

VW can charge so much for the body panels partly because they were made in relatively small numbers, but also becuase it's usually insurers that are buying them.

Whatever happens though, you're going to have to pay the £300 excess to get the Ka fixed.

If your car's valued at £3,500 and the new parts alone are going to cost £1,754 then they'll say they want to write it off. However, if they're going down the route of letting you get quotes, you should find a good local bodyshop and get them to do you a quote assuming that you either supply the parts or the parts are second hand. That will come to significantly less, so the insurance company will be happy to pay for it.

Only problem is then getting hold of the parts, but hey that's what the forum's for ;) :)

Hi, bad luck on that. I did almost the exactly the same thing happened to me in May. Damaged the same parts from my bumper was ok as I hit the back of 4x4 (the wheel on the back doing all the damage)

Initially they tried to write mine off but I fought it and they agreed to fix it. It took months of wrangling though.

I can only say I hope you get it sorted quickly. If you have any questions I will see if I can help. I was insursed with Ensign via Brentacre.

Right i've had a good think and have traveled around the local garages to get a quote.

At the moments its looking about £2-3K to fix it. Unfortunately i think at this price the insurance company will probably write it off :(

I have 2 options

1 Go through the insurance company and write it off, buy it back and then fix it myself, not too fussed about it being written off as i am not planning on selling it.

- What can i roughly expect to receive from the Insurance company £2000, £1500 i have no idea, its agreed value £3500 but you never get the full amount.

- Just wondering what sort of monies people have got off the insurance company for a G60

- If i go this route i can get the car fixed and spend the extra on mods :)

2 Fix the car myself and not have to pay the excess (£300) and not have the car written off.

- I would be out of pocket £600 by the time i have got the parts and got them sprayed up.

- The car wouldn't be written off

So i don;t know what to do

I'm worried the insurance company will either not allow me to buy my car back or give me a rubbish payout. Unfortunately to find out how much i will get back means i need to make a total loss claim and i don;t know if i can stop half way though the claim process if i decided to fix it myself.

Grrr its so difficult

Do i just get the write off money buy it back and part it out. (its far too good to break)

Can anyone offer any advice?

How much value will the car lose being a CAT C/D?

cheers and sorry for so many questions

Beavisjem

If you hit a car up the arse then you're going to be paying your excess no-matter what, unless you pay to fix that car too.

Have you discussed your options with your insurers? I think that may be the place to start.

If you hit a car up the arse then you're going to be paying your excess no-matter what, unless you pay to fix that car too.

Have you discussed your options with your insurers? I think that may be the place to start.

Thats what i thought but having spoken to my insurance company the have informed me that i only have to pay the excess if i claim for my own car repairs.

Weird

If it is written off - it's a great time to be getting really cheap VR6s. Think about that if it's gonna cost you thousands.

I have been thinking about this so much but i can't just get rid of mine. I have put too much time into it. If i was going to get a VR then it would have to be supercharged :) and a bit special. And to be honest i don't really have the extra cash to buy what i want.

If i end up fixing me car the i will put it away and save up to add some special things.

Cheers for all the advice

Anyone want to p/x Corrado G60 for a VR6 :norty:

Thats what i thought but having spoken to my insurance company the have informed me that i only have to pay the excess if i claim for my own car repairs.

Thats what happened to me too- I clipped a parked car due to someone pulling out in front of me, minimal damage to the passat, but £1400 worth of damage to the little citroen C3. I didnt claim for any repairs to my car from fear of them writing it off (one dented panel, fixed with a £10 wing from the scrappers and sprayed it myself) but the girl I hit went through insurance. As I didnt claim anything for mine I didnt have to pay the excess. Lost that years no-claims but switched insurers this year so still got a cheaper renewal price :)

So wouldve thought if you didnt claim for any of your damage youd be able to repair the C pretty cheaply with 2nd hand parts, certainly much less than £3k! and should be able to negate the £300 excess too.