Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

VR6 absolute musts

After two years of bringing my valver up to scratch I finally killed it by reversing into a wall whilst stupidly hung-over. I'm now stripping and selling it to make way for a VR, although I learnt a lot about tuning 16v's I'm starting from scratch again now so I'd just like to know what bit's to look out for and what not.

I know this subject has been covered a million times so to cut it short I just have a few questions...

Do the inlet manifolds respond well to gas flowing?

I've been offered a gas flowed tb off a 2.8, shall I bother or just stick with the 2.9?

6 branch's, chip's, power boost valves...waste of time?

Anything else I should either definately do or any mods I should avoid like the plague?

The more bits I can sort whilst on the look out the better, I always prefer doing all the work at the same time as you feel the difference a lot easier.

1. Buy one

2. There is no 2.

3. Why are you still reading?

VR6 absolute musts

1. Buy one

2. There is no 2.

3. Why are you still reading?

Sounds simple enough, I'm coming from owning a valver where I'd buy it a bloody bunch of flowers and box of chocolates if I thought it'd make it go any quicker.

Sounds simple enough, I'm coming from owning a valver where I'd buy it a bloody bunch of flowers and box of chocolates if I thought it'd make it go any quicker.

Well if you're the unsatisfied kind you'll never be happy. Buy a Veyron and have it chipped.

How fast you want your car to go depends on how much cash you have to spend.

Buy a Veyron and have it chipped

I already have but I prefer the pop-up spoiler on the Corrado

How fast you want your car to go depends on how much cash you have to spend

Not enough to justify forced induction but enough to spice it up a bit.

Performance wise, a very simple and cheap mod, with decent results is a decat. I'd also recommend a BMC CDA.

The VR6 doesn't respond particularly well to gas flowing, unless you're going down the forced induction route.

You could go for a Schrick or VW VSR manifold (if you can find one!). Won't give you huge gains, but will change the characteristics of the power delivery. If I had the money, I wouldn't bother- I'd put it towards a Rotrex charger instead ;)

Remaps will only give 5-10bhp on the VR6.

Coilovers are a must for the handling.

288 brakes are also a worthwhile mod- will do this to mine eventually.

De-cat, miltek, 6-branch and CDA for 750 quid or so = THE BEST SOUNDING VR IN THE WORLD!! :)

sounds good does that, might have to look into getting a miltek over a magnex, Ive read a few people had issues with the magnex, but with the ones i have sold for various cars. ive never had or heard a problem! decisions lol

Thanks for the advice people, I know it's been covered loads but I thought I was being specific enough to not warrent spending an age searching.

Looks like a CDA is on the cards then.

Been on the awesome site and seen a power gasket and set of Neuspeed lightweight pullies, worth the notes or just a gimmick?

The gasket is supposed to reduce inlet temperatures, giving an approx 5% increase in power, thats about 9bhp which sounds a bit unlikely IMO.

Pullies apparently draw less power from the alternator which in turn gives 5bhp, I love Neuspeed products as a general rule but again for £200 I'm thinking this is a waste of time.

Thanks for the advice people, I know it's been covered loads but I thought I was being specific enough to not warrent spending an age searching.

Looks like a CDA is on the cards then.

Been on the awesome site and seen a power gasket and set of Neuspeed lightweight pullies, worth the notes or just a gimmick?

The gasket is supposed to reduce inlet temperatures, giving an approx 5% increase in power, thats about 9bhp which sounds a bit unlikely IMO.

Pullies apparently draw less power from the alternator which in turn gives 5bhp, I love Neuspeed products as a general rule but again for £200 I'm thinking this is a waste of time.

I wouldnt bother really mate, people have tried the power gasket and not really noticed any difference. Not sure about the pullies but highly unlikely to make much of a difference really.

If i were you i would just save up, upgrade the suspension and brakes (288mm golf vr6 brakes are a great upgrade) and then just enjoy a nice driving corrado vr6 whilst you save and then whack a supercharger on it, easiest and cheapest way to get proper power from the VR6 engine, and from then on you can just upgrade parts and add more boost as funds allow and you could end up with 1 seriously quick corrado.

Pullies could give 5bhp, they do affect performance of Air-cooled flat-4's

But really 5 brake on a VR would you notice it without getting it onto rollers?

Erm No...

Pullies could give 5bhp, they do affect performance of Air-cooled flat-4's

But really 5 brake on a VR would you notice it without getting it onto rollers?

Erm No...

Exactly, pointless really!

Yeah I know it's pointless but it all counts in the grand scheme of things.

As I said earlier I was going to collect a few choice tuning parts, so that when I put them all on at the same time I feel the difference, still £200 for 5bhp is steep. If it was a jap rice rocket 5bhp would cost me about 25p :)

Unless it has already been done recently, a new set of plugs (standard NGK are perfectly adequate and can be had for about £4 each) and leads and maybe even a coilpack. Give the MFA wire a good clean with brake cleaner and some contact cleaner on the connector block. Throw in a new air filter element. These things deteriorate over time, you don't notice it until you sort them all out. The best £200 you'll spend, and your fuel consumption will benefit too................

Best wishes

RB

Looks like the order of the day is just good upkeep then, and a supercharger when I finally get bored of the power.

It's so much easier when you start off with 190bhp compared to 136 isnt it

I'd start off with a pair of cams and a chip. Those two mods will give you real world horsepower...instead of just noise from an exhaust system.

You can order a pair of Autotech 262 cams for around 240usd. With the falling US dollar...even with the shipping will probably be cheaper than any place you can find in the UK.