Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

So..........this timing chain noise???

Just bought my VR6... how noisy should the timing chain be?? I didnt really notice it on the test drive but after spending the weekend in the car (not literally, i got out when i had to pee :D ) you can hear it quite faintly from inside the car when your driving along. Its not to noisy, but you can hear it a little. is this normal or is it in need of the tensioner thing doing??

thanks

Your VR6 has almost no miles on it. It probably still smells of the factory, thinking the chains need doing is just mad!! And if you're trying to rub it in, don't!! :(

However, if you really want a VR6 with chains that rattle, I'll happily swap you for my all-black with black leather VR6...

it has 80k on it which is (according to many on this forum) when the chain noise starts?? i just wondered to be honest cause i dont know what it should sound like.

it yours pretty noisey then?

(sorry wasnt rubbing it in)

i must admit, mine has a bit of a chain rattle (well i think that's what it is) faintly audible inside the car up to about 2-2500rpm. Seems to do it slightly more when cold too. Normal??? The car has done 63k now.

You might get some whirring and camshaft rattle first thing in the morning for a minute or so, but when hot, there shouldn't be any loud noises eminating from the gearbox side of the block/head.

When you do hear this noise, press the clutch pedal down and see if it goes. If it does, it's clutch/gearbox bearing related.

The tappets can also make a lot of racket, especially if you're using really thin oil.

As a rough idea, I checked my upper tensioner at 83K and it was only just showing signs of pitting on the plastic strip. Some wear so bad that the rivets break off and the plastic strip ends up in the sump. I've got around 20K left before the tensioner needs doing.

Kev

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I thought I'd have a root around before posting a new one. My VR has a constant timing chain rattle, not overly loud, but starting to get a bit worrying, (101k btw). Is it just a case of getting both tensioners replaced or should the chains be changed too? How big a job is it (I'm thinking in terms of garage labour time). Is there anything else worth checking out at the same time, while the engine's in bits?

Cheers,

Robbo

Hold the rpm at 1200 rpm and listen for distinctive and loud chain slapping noise. Put a metal bar on the alloy housing next to the aux pump and stick your ear on the end of it.

Well it's a gearbox off job to change either of the tensioners so you may aswell do the lot whilst it's off. I think all of the parts come to about £200 but the chains are the dearest parts. They never snap, so it's your call really.

Put a fresh tensioner bolt in too for good measure, they're about £23.

You're looking at at least 8 hours labour.

Kev

I've got a sound recording of a VR6 in need of it's timing chains replaced. I think it's on it's last legs, as the thing sounds like a diesel!! I can put it up if you want?

Ooopps!!!... quick update, had a listen to the engine close up as you suggested Kev, & it turns out the tapping is coming from the opposite side than I originally thought (the serpentine belt end, LHS), no noticable noise from the timing chain end after all! Is this then, likely to be the belt tensioner on it's way out or is it just my noisy tappets? (which are very noisy btw & due to be replaced before too long).

Cheers,

Robbo

Ooopps!!!... quick update, had a listen to the engine close up as you suggested Kev, & it turns out the tapping is coming from the opposite side than I originally thought (the serpentine belt end, LHS), no noticable noise from the timing chain end after all! Is this then, likely to be the belt tensioner on it's way out or is it just my noisy tappets? (which are very noisy btw & due to be replaced before too long).

Cheers,

Robbo

Yeah noisy tappets can be the culprit, they're never really vey quiet on the VR anyway, even when renewed. Thicker oil might help. Do the stethoscope trick on the rocker cover too and you'll hear them banging away under there.....

You can check the belt tensioner by slackening the belt tensio by screwing a long 8mm bolt (13mm head) into the little hole in the tensioner spring hosuing adjacent to injector no 1. Spin the tensioner by hand and if it's wobbly and grindy, the bearing is knackered. PhatVR6 has provided a bearing replacement guide in the Servicing forum, which saves you having to pay 80 odd quid for a new tensioner assembly.

Oh and the thread for the tensioner pulley is reversed. I.e. Clockwise to slacken it.

i'd be interested to hear the sound file.

I'll try and get it up tommorow. Will need the help of my friend as i'm not too hot on computers!