KIPVW

Kip's Members Thread

James yes i'll be using the standard issue sealant which you can just brush on or use with an airline and schulz gun. part number is D003 500 exactly the same stuff the factory use, build it up with a few layers to required height ie same as surrounding area then simply spray over if required, no primer needed. :)

Chris, yeah was pretty goo around the studs mate and also had the white clips off completely on the other side too to look at those, was only the most rearward 2 posts that needed slight attention, again due to the lack of heat in that area i'm guessing.

Yeah there's a few areas in the arches that need a little look at too but very minor.

I'ts a slow steady progress but my motto to the lads under my wing at work is if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right! OR Do it like you'd do your own! :lol: they love me really.

Wow remember that meet :) what you wanna see in particular? i'll get shots for you and upload em, am currently scraping off any suspect underseal at the moment too as i have a few areas that need treating.

Was a bit hacked off about this to be honest but it is only superficial and easily sorted but it is making me wonder about some of the so called mint cars out their that are rotting away as i speak, it looked fine until i cut the sealant away Gulp :lol:

Exactly what i've been going on about.

i'm doing quite a lot of work on mine, similar to what your doing and it made me wonder about the "mint" cars and the "rust free" ones.

After exploring mine with a chisel and taking off underseal in places that looked fine, i don't believe there are any rust free examples unless they have looked properly.

Glad i caught mine now, as it looked rust free until i got the wings off and took the underseal off.

And that's why it's a good idea to clean underneath your 17+ year old car... so you can see tiny areas of damage to underseal and investigate further. :)

I've done the easy to see bits but know all the brake lines, exhaust shields posts etc need looking at very closely.

Thanks for the help on the underseal Paul. Is it easy to brush on (does it require "letting down" with thinners etc) ? How much coverage do you get out of a can (how many cans for going over the entire floorpan)?

The stuff goes on quite thinly mate so you'll need to build it up a fair fey layers to get the same thickness as the factory so all the underside would easily take 6 or more tins.

No thinners required but you need to do small-ish areas at a time as it starts to go off pretty quickly. It really is great stuff to work with :)

Well a little more progress today and recently, the underside had a few issues with sealant peeling away so decided to really get to the heart of it and take it right back to bare metal. This was done with several drill attachments but found the wire wheel brush the best :) just rips into the sealant and eats away any corrosion near it, i went up till the corrosion bits were well inside the sections where i've cut/wire brushed the sealant away then treated it all to a liberal coating of jenolite then it'll be etched primer then some of the brush on sealant to finish the job off.

As i needed to get the exhaust off to get the rear brake line and around the heat shield sections thought i may as well buff up me boxes so did that with the DA, effortless :lol:

Also pressed in the cross member bushes ready to go on soon.

Some pics then :)

P7140340.jpg

P7140346.jpg

P7140345.jpg

P7140342.jpg

Edited by KIPVW

Oi, that's the lounge carpet and theres no sheet down (yes I know it's all clean but still....!!)

:hitler: :lol: Busted!

Great work Kip, I will have to think about doing this soon, maybe next year once the respray has been forgotten about by the wife :o

:) it's, all new though lol! Tis a bit of an effort mate but I know it'll be worth it when its all done.

Edited by KIPVW

:hitler: :lol: Busted!

Great work Kip, I will have to think about doing this soon, maybe next year once the respray has been forgotten about by the wife :o

Took the words out of my mouth bill

Lol.

Amazing stuff as usual, pics looks great, do you use some sort of torch while taking photos?

Will be doing those bushes on front crossmember very shortly, am sure you made a thread about your technique/tool you made for the job, i will have to find that and copy you :D

Amazing stuff as usual, pics looks great, do you use some sort of torch while taking photos?

Will be doing those bushes on front crossmember very shortly, am sure you made a thread about your technique/tool you made for the job, i will have to find that and copy you :D

I usually have a floor level halogen around but the flash on the camera usually pics them up nicely. you can see my special tool in one of the smaller pictures too. easy to do with this contraption and can do all 4 in about 20 mins now :)

Looking at your pics i think i'm going to have to take my rear beam off (again) and the fuel tank :(

I noticed quite a bit of surface rust around the beam mounting brackets where they bolt to the body of car

Keep the pics coming, very helpful to me.

great minds!!

I would love to go to the detail you are going into. All your work looks AMAZING!

Thanks! I have to say though i've wanted to do this little project for years now and have been saving a few bits to one side ready but nothing could have prepared me for what i've now spent on it :lol: i am loving doing it though now as the pressure of trying to get it done earlier has passed and i just dabble at it when i want to.

Had a good few hours today too and got the front engine support back on and a little more cleaning along the way as you do.

Also fitted a couple of little bits that make all the difference to me when i look at the car closely. ie the little power steering pipe support :)

P7170350.jpg

P7170355.jpg

Plus a bit more nylon coated goodness added for good measure :lol:

Few pics then :)

P7170365.jpg

P7170366.jpg

P7170357.jpg

P7170362.jpg

P7170364.jpg

P7170369.jpg

P7170368.jpg

Edited by KIPVW

you can see my special tool in one of the smaller pictures too.

Please do not post pictures of your "special tool" :o.

Please do not post pictures of your "special tool" :o.

:lol:

You sleeping in the garage at the moment ? You'd think so with all this work you're putting in. Good show.

Right then, had a little dabble with the VW underseal and a paint brush last night an am very pleased with the results :) I'll be going over it all again with a thinner coat just to build it up a bit more and keep the finish consistent with how it looked originally.

I'll then be giving it a quick blast of body colour to tone it down a bit too then it'll be a good clean up and fuel tank off to check behind there before the rear axle and everything else goes back on :/

P7200382.jpg

P7200383.jpg

P7200388.jpg

P7200386.jpg

Edited by KIPVW

How was it going on Paul ? Is it possible to "let it down" with thinners for easier use ? Or is it brushable straight from the can.

Called in at VW and they want £20 a can for the OE stuff. Looks like I'll be buying Indesa or 3M at those prices though.

Yeah it goes straight on outta the can mate, then starts to curdle in about 20 mins or so, i love the stuff to be honest :)

Been doing mine this weekend and was suprised to find my schutz is black, its not the VW stuff, but i've chucked some on anyway. It doesn't feel rubbery like the original stuff its like rock hard and feels like coal :lol:

Have done it over two layers of POR15 paint, so hoping thats just as good

Bit more progress this week as on holiday so why not spend it laying under the car :lol:

Tidied up the underseal and gave a few sections a bit of body colour for extra protection plus a squirt of cavity wax to keep the water at bay.

Blinged up the brakes too so hope they go on without issues. Also fettled up under the rear arches with a bit of paint & laquer.

Got a new heat shield too for over the back box which looks lovely :)

Fitted some new hose clips too for the fuel lines and what a difference they make, remind me of Vulcan Bombers lining up ready to go and bomb the Faulklands airstrip :)

Fuel tank should be back on this weekend and maybe a start on fitting the rear beam too if i'm lucky.

P1010406.jpg

P1010410.jpg

P1010415.jpg

P1010416.jpg

P1010431.jpg

P1010433.jpg

P1010421.jpg