Sign in to follow this  
fla

removing engine

I'm getting an angine support this afternoon, but no crane. Whats the best way of removing the engine without a crane? I was thinking of rollering it out on some boards or something similar? Any advice here please?

Easiest way by far is to remove bumper, rad and slam panel and use and engine crane that's on wheels. Or you can use a ceiling mounted chain hoist and roll the car backwards.

How are you going to do it without a crane?!

Dont know. I thought it could be lowered onto something to allow it to be pulled out. Looks like i need the crane then. Best place to get one?

I have done 3 without a hoist. Remove the whole front of the car. Support the engine under the gearbox, rear engine mount and power steering pump and roll the car off the engine. We found it easier to lower the front of the engine a bit and remove the aux belt with a smidge of left hand down. Very cowboy but really simple. just move the car gently.

Can quite easily be lowered onto something without a crane!

I removed the slam pannel / bumper etc. Put the front of the car up on axle stands. Disconnected the driveshafts and everything else going to the engine. Unbolted the the engine / gearbox mounts, then stuck a big fat tyre under the engine and lowered the car back onto its wheels. with a bit of shoving the engine sat perfectly into the tyre and the car could be rolled back to leave the engine clear. Or the way I did it and just dragged the engine clear ontop of the tyre itself.

Bit of a bodge. But worked perfectly and allowed me to save the money I would have had to fork out on crane on something more interesting! 8)

Sounds good. I've got a load of wooden pallets i can lower the engine on to. Plus i picked up an engine support beam yesterday. Is refitting 'the reverse of removal'? How do you remove the driveshafts and gearbox etc? Doesnt look too complex but i KNOW i will miss some bolts and will not be able to find out why the thing is not moving. What about the power steering circuit and brakes etc? How is this disconnected? because mine is an auto AND has aircon the bay is very congested despite having removed some of the bits and pieces already.

The best way I can describe the way I fitted the new engine is "ancient Egyptian style" :lol: :lol: I pushed the new engine into the empty engine bay on-top of a pallet. Pulled it upright and jacked up each side by about 1cm with a pair of trolley jacks, and stuck a plank of wood between the pallet and the bottom of the engine. Then jacked it up a bit further and stuck another plank underneath, and just kept on repeating that. Took a while but eventually I got it lifted high enough to start bolting all the new mounts back on!

Easiest way I found was to remove the entire engine with the gearbox still attached. I'm not sure about what differences the auto box would make though?

Driveshafts require a small star head socket attachment to remove the six bolts on either side. They can be tricky to access the bolts themselves, but you see extended socket attachments for the purpose on Ebay the whole time!

I removed the pas pump from the engine itself, and actually kept the entire power steering mechanism intact while removing the engine. then just bolted the old pump up to the new engine.

Ive just taken my engine out and replaced it the last couple of days, hired an engine crane from HSS. Took 5 mins to take out and another 5 to put back in for the sake of £25 it was well worth it and made the job so easy!

I tend to use a tractor. Not terrible fine control at times though ;)

did you pick it up on ebay..?

Sorry.

Been drinking.

I'll get my coat.

I removed the pas pump from the engine itself, and actually kept the entire power steering mechanism intact while removing the engine. then just bolted the old pump up to the new engine.

Dec? I unbolted the power steering pump off at the weekend, but it didnt want to come out. It was loose but didnt slide out. Anyway, i removed one of the pipes from the bar in fornt of the cross memeber and i'll probably pull theat through to get teh cross member off. Apart from that, is there any other way to open up the front end? Thanks