Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

VR6 4WD Gearbox?

Im needing to change my gearbox, and Im also wanting to do a 4wd conversion. So are there any gearboxes suitable for a vr6 that will allow for the conversion at a future date? Will I need to lock the out put shaft to the rear?? Saves me having to remove the gearbox numerous times.

Which cars had them and how much are they generally?

Thanks

anything a bit closer to home? or is germany the only option?

also, if I used a g60 4wd box what what be the problems?

the g60 4wd box wont physically fit to the vr6 engine,

you need either a vr6 syncro gearbox or 02m from a r32

Anyone know if their are different types of r32 gearbox and is a straight swap for a vr6 box? thinking about this box as its 6 gears too.

im guessing its not

i think i missed out on a bargain. on ebay a r32 box went for slightly over £100. maybe it wasnt an 02m. if it was, damn!!!

any idea how the shafts have to be changed? and what needs to be done to make a gearbox mount? I can get it done but want to know whats involved so can judge time it will take to do the work.

is there a link to a how to..?

hi

R32

02m 6speed , flywheel, clutch, starter, slave line, shifter & cables off of 24v r32 maybe audi tt 3.2 but not checked

Modified front mount

Custom axles

24V 02m slave cylinder line (you can't just connect your existing slave line to the o2m.)

Flywheel to crank and clutch bolts (24v o2m)

Don't forget to get the harness/plugs for gearbox speed sensor and reverse light

i can get the drive shafts made for you custom you would need o2m inner cvs and your vr6 outs can be used but i would replace with new for peace of mind im getting 2 sets of front shafts price at the moment if i was to add another set maybe cheaper

i can also supply the o2m gearbox mount , i do have a front gearbox mount that i can take some pics of and you can copy

are you wanting to run 4wd eg r32 setup ? or do front

then do rear later as i have some parts to help with this eg beam,syncro floor etc

you could run gearbox on its own without prop etc i no some one who did this for 2 mths with out probs

http://www.corradosyncro.co.uk

cheers corradosyncro. Ive put plans on hold as I need to use the car daily for now. What Im thinking of doing is getting all the parts together and do the conversion done over a weekend. The major hold up are the gearbox mounts, I would need to copy someones, or get one done. If you could find out the price of adjusted shafts that would be good.

Just to make sure, this is for a vr6 conversion.

no worries i have mounts that you can copy etc are you wanting to use 6speed r32 box for future 4wd conversion or just a fwd box 6speed

does not make huge different just the drivers shaft will be shorter

forgot to mention the down pipe will need some magic doing to it etc

thanks paul

have you got any pics of the box installed, would like to see how much change i need to do for the mounts. I work in the engineering trade so shouldnt be too hard to copy yours and the shafts. May even look into making a kit for other rado lovers.

There's a thread on doing this on Vortex somewhere, but can't remember the link. It looks like you need to move the mounting point about 3" back on the crossmember in order to clear the output shafts. You then use a dutchdub or similar L-shape bracket to bolt the 'box to.

cheers for the link. some how I dont think Ill be doing it easily over a weekend. I suppose if I built up the mount on a spare subframe then its posssible as a weekend job.

corradosyncro

I've got a R32 engine which came along with a DSG box, which I intend installing in my VR. As I don't have all the DSG bits, I've decided to use a manual 02m box, I don't have the driveshafts, did you get new ones fabricated if so who off and how much were they, or did you use the original R32 shafts and get them re-machined. Also unsure if I'm going to go 4WD or stick with the 2WD at present.

Andy

Moab, Utah is the Mecca of the 4WD world with over 30 trails to choose from, most within a short drive from town. These trails cover some of the most rugged and scenic country you will find anywhere.

------------------------------------------------------

pandreson

Used Cars

Intresting reading this id love 4whl drive ive always had in the back of my mind but dont no if ill ever get that involved, well not at the mo