Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Wheels Rubbing (Conflicting)

Right, I've spoken to the 'experts' and I'm still non the wiser. My cars 40mm lower than standard (93 VR6)

Rung up Awesome (my cars there now) and asked if I put 17" wheels on, will I have problems with the tyres rubbing/catching etc?

No! They said.

Spoke to PSI, same question,

Yes! They said.

Rung up JBS, same question,

Not sure!

I'm useless when it comes to tyre/offset stuff, TBH I don't get half of it! All I want to know is if I'll need to roll the arches or something similar?

These are the wheels I want, http://www.modifiedcarstore.co.uk/p1033500.htm

Thanks!

I have ran the same as well with no rubbing issues with mates etc, only a very slight on inner arch full lock but how often you drive on full lock?

So long as you keep the right offset you will be ok.

Do you know what width and ET they will be.

most places will say that you MAY need arch modifications to cover there own arse,

there will of been people who have done it and had no problems and people who have done it and had problems, only way to find out is bite the bullet and try it :D get stealth to do it if they say you wont have problems! but nobody can guarantee it! :p. the differences of car even ones on the same production batch can make the difference :)

If the replacement wheel+tyre combo are the same exterior size and the same offset as the originals, then no they won't rub. That means you need 205/40/17 tyres ... Go wider and you might have problems...

I was running 17 on a 40 drop and i only foung them to catch at the back slightly on rough bumps at high speeds not sure on what size rubbers we but the slight bit of rub wasnt too concerning think it was only the plastic gaurd or the lip inside the arch which im going to get reduced when i get the car painted.

RH wheels are mostly 5 x 112 Andy, and as that site doesn't state what the offset or PCD is, budget for adapters aswell (+£145).

This annoys me about 90% of wheel retailers in this country. They just slap wheels on their websites with bugger all [vital] information. No wonder people always run into fouling issues.

So, assuming those rims are designed for adapters, they'll be offset 60. Then you get the RH 25mm adapters (5x112 to 5x100) which pushes the ET to 35, which is where it needs to be for the VR6.

Bear in mind they are 8J aswell, and heavy, it'll feel like a lethargic tank round tight turns and acceleration will be blunted. They will definitely foul the rear arches over bumps and when laden, but will be slight and mainly the driver's side one. You may get the odd brush on the inner arch on full lock.

I know all this because I had 8x17 RH wheels a couple of years ago. As nice as they look, they don't suit the Corrado's chassis dynamically.

Ah right! Cheers, clears things up a bit!

It's the Porsche Turbo (the angled type alloys, directional???) type wheels I really like. Did biggerben have some proper ones on his? Can't remember now.

The RH wheels are the only ones I could find that are like that. :(