Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

lowering / better round corners / suspension.

I've had my VR for a few months now, and always thought it sits a little but high, and feels too heavy and sloppy around corners. Whats the best thing to do to make it stiffer on corners and not get a too harsh ride from it? One of the guys from the owners club recommended to lower it about 30/35mm all round. What experiences do other owners have? Cheers. Del.:roll:

Lowering 30 to 35 mm all around on a good set of coilovers (adjustable damping if you're feeling flush :lol: ) is definately the way to go with the suspension on a 'rado. Makes one hell of a difference and if you get a reasonable kit and get it set up properly, it won't screw the ride up too much either and will put one hell of a grin on your face... 8)

Coilover suspension is very exspensive though- you can lower the car by the same amont using standard shocks and a good quality set of lowering springs- id go for FK or Eibach which would be far sheaper with the required effect of lower appearance and much better handling. But if youve got the money i suppose go for coil over but be prepared to spend at least £500 + fitting.

If the shocks on your motor are ok your looking at about £130 + fitting going for the lowering springs.

Hmm.. havent got £500+ to spend on it :x . Thanx for the advice. Wheres a good place to get the springs from? Has anyone used a place called potn.co.uk? Thanx again for the helpful advice. (Corrado owners are well helpful! :D )

Dels boy,

Think hard mate!!!!. When i bought mine it had been lowered approx. 40mm all round. The springs were Eibach and the ride was far to hard, and having 17" wheels on, the steering was very stiff. I have recently put the standard springs back on and it still looks well and handles fine. Granted it looks better slightly lowered, but the ride was not as good, especially on Stoke-on-Trents shitty roads. Furthermore, the guy that did mine didn't set the tracking up properly, meaning that i have had to pay out for Opti-flex and new traking rods, cos the penis didn't do it right.

If i was you think carefully. Just going off my experienceand if you do decide to do it, do it properly. I would if i had the money.

:cry:

Guys at Stealth recommended the H&R springs as they were a bit more 'refined' than the Eibach ones. Twinned with a set of Konis......

Thats my plan in the new year

Guys at Stealth recommended the H&R springs as they were a bit more 'refined' than the Eibach ones. Twinned with a set of Konis......

Thats my plan in the new year

I wasn't going to comment on this because I think putting uprated springs on standard dampers is dangerous, but I didn't want to cause an argument. But as you have mentioned H&R and Koni, I'll stick my oar in as that's the kit I use, along with a Neuspeed rear ARB.

It's my personal favourite setup, used that alliance for years with good results. It's a little harsh over rough urban roads but only slightly more so than standard, but it's out on the open road where it all gels together beautifully. The rear ARB takes care of front wheel pitching and the konis and H&Rs keep the bodyshell in check and planted to the road.

It's a dependable setup that gives no nasty surprises. Think carefully about this setup if you plan on fitting 17s. It works best on 15s imo.

I would also replace all of the suspension bushes whilst you're there. It's no use fitting quality dampers and springs if the the bushes are knackerered. If you want a crisper and more responsive turn in and stronger braking, try some vibratechnics rear wishbone bushes.

Kev

Indeed, proper schocks and springs, ARBars and good bushes cam make a real difference. Certainly when accompanied by some really good tires.

I have a Bilstein PSS coil over kit, coupled with Eibach ARBs and Powerflex bushes. Tires are Pirelli P7000 or Bridgestone Potenza s-03.

I am now testing a 205/40/17 at the rear and 215/40/17 up front. First impressions are good, but I need to take it to the track to really test.

As far as the ARBs and Bilsteins I wouldn't want anything else. If you don't want to spend your pounds on coil overs get some Bilstein "Sprint" dampers and Eibach or H&R springs.

But be shure not to forget your tires!!

If your car feels heavy and sloppy round corners, it may be that you still have the original suspension fitted.

This will be well knackered by now (sorry for using "technical" terms...).

A new set of bampers and suspension bushes by just about anybody will improve things a lot.

Important point to emphasise - fit new tope mounts all round when fitting new dampers - the old ones will be shot by now...

Ok... One other factor 'thrown' into the equation is that the spax kit is £250 brand new, but for a further £100 you get the top adjustable shocks. Im told that its worth the extra ton as it enables you to set the car up more to ones own taste. Anyone got any helpful comments?

Del, where is this kit from???

Can anyone get it at that price...

I think mine are on the way out but I have not got the budget for the £££ coilovers!

From past experience, I'd choose a proper set of uprated anti-roll bars and quality polyurethane bushes over a cheap lowering kit anyday.

Unless you dampers are knackered, do the ARB's and bushes before you buy a suspension kit. Then save up for some Bilsteins or H&R, some quality kit.

Don't even consider a set of cheap springs.

Can I just add that the ride with AVO or Supersport coilovers is unbearable....

Can I just add that the ride with AVO or Supersport coilovers is unbearable....

I have to disagree with you there... :? I'm exceptionally happy with my supersport coilovers. Their ride is slightly firmer than standard, but isn't harsh or crashy and is very easy to get on with... Then again, any coilovers get VERY hard when you drop the car onto the floor, which is something I'd never intentionally do...

Del, where is this kit from???

Yes Pete...

Halfords sell it. Its a SPAX springs and dampers kit, and its £349 for top adjustable, or £249 for the non adjustable kit. It includes four lowered springs and four shortened dampers, and it lowers the car by 40mm, and its made for the VR6 specifically.

Now im all confused about the anti roll bar. never even thought about that. How much? Where? How? your thoughts please.

Cheers.

Del.

hi

i have a fully adjustable set of avo coilovers and they are crap! the last owner fitted them, they are very hard and i have allread gone through 2 units on the drivers front side because they leaked. i am now also thinking of going for normal springs and dampers

Halfords sell it. Its a SPAX springs and dampers kit, and its £349 for top adjustable, or £249 for the non adjustable kit. It includes four lowered springs and four shortened dampers, and it lowers the car by 40mm,

That's very good value!

and its made for the VR6 specifically.

Unlike the Konis which are a generic A2/A3 platform damper!!

Now im all confused about the anti roll bar. never even thought about that. How much? Where? How? your thoughts please.

Anti-roll bars are an excellent mod.....and speaking from personal experiences, a kitted and roll bar'd Corrado is one of the best handling affordable cars ever.

My recommendation is Neuspeed. They work out at around £300 for the pair or you can use Eibach which are about £50 cheaper. The other option is to just go for a Neuspeed rear as it's that one that has the biggest effect on handling. You can always add a front Neuspeed as and when. Fitting the rear is DIY. The front one is more tricky.

Awesome GTI and C&R Enterprises are the main UK importers. Both have excellent mail order services.

Kev

Is the SPAX kit a fitte price???

Anyone here got experience of this kit?

Also I have speed bumps on my street, would a 40mm drop make it bottom out?

Is the SPAX kit a fitte price???

Anyone here got experience of this kit?

Also I have speed bumps on my street, would a 40mm drop make it bottom out?

I've driven CrazyMarcel's VR6 which has Spax on it. Felt a little harsh but he had 17s on it when I drove it, I think it would be OK with 15s to be honest.

No 40mm won't bottom out on speed ramps. Mine is lowered 35mm and it doesn't hit anything at all...and I've got the earlier 95mm spoiler, you've probably got the later shallower chin spoiler (as yours is a 96) so definitely no cloutage problems in your case.

K

Yep Kev is right the spax are quite harsh with 17s on, It was nice with 15s but i do intend to change the suspension on it in time.

My cars low and the chin spoiler can scrape as can the guard bit around the cat. Speed ramps are a nightmare

Cheers guys!

Mine is in for a service this months and I think they may find the shocks are gone.

I think the SPAX kit wins on value!