Sign in to follow this  
Danger Mouse

List of repairs

Hey everyone

Just curious here...

Iv got a load of repairs that I need to get done and have had a rough quote of how much it could cost. The guy at the garage said "ill try and keep it under £1000". Just wondering if this is reasonable for all these repairs, can someone help me.

1) Off side wheel bearing

2) Off side CV boot

3) Front engine mount replaced

4) Steering set up

5) Driveshaft replaced

6) Ignition switch replaced

7) Oil change

8 ) Brake fluid change

Another couple of things hes going to look at and tell me his opinion too.

Cheers

DM

not that i get much of my work done by garages but i would have said way over the top and i would be thinking even half that amount was still a little to high

funky

Definitely too high. I had much of that done on my first C, and it didnt come to all that much. It was under £500, although i didnt have the driveshaft / ignition switch done, there were other jobs done, and it wasnt that expensive. dont get ripped off. find another garage geezer.

Mate, thats way sky high...you could drive to london get the work done by me and it would still cost you less than £1000!

offside front wheel bearing £16 or £8 if it's a rear

outer cv boot £6

front engine mount £32

steering tracking £20

driveshaft under £100 ( cant remember the price off the top of me'ead)

ignition switch £15 as henny said

oil filter £10

oil £15

2 litres of dot 4 £6

total parts cost £220

and then £200 max for labour he should be saying that he is trying to keep it under £500 not £1000

most of that stuff is really easy to do the driveshaft would take an hour and while you were at it you would change the cv boot anyway! oil and filter change 20mins ignition switch 30mins front engine mount 10mins wheel bearing 1 hour at max if its a front 30 mins if it's a rear. I would think you could easily do all this in under 3 hours at the going rate of £35-£45 an hour. So your friendly mechanic is overcharging somewhat in my honest opinion!!

phone star-performance and get them to quote you for all that work,i'm sure like biggrim you'll be pleasently surprised :wink:

... and what about the pricing for genuine parts?

Didn't someone mention the driveshaft was over £200 notes from VW??

That from Bedrock? Does sound a bit much. Probably a Vibratech front mount if it is, £120 on the vr's, not sure about g60's.

Yeah from bedrock, they are SH*t hot in their work but I really cannot afford that.

I need the work done but dont want my pants pulled down over the price.

Doubt ill be going on the rollers at Star on the 30th of this month unfortunately

I would love to, but I dont think my C if safe to go on rollers

DM

Just thought id let people know that I phoned Star to see what they would charge for the exact same list of repairs....

Guess....

Around £350-£400

Woo hoo.... might be going on the rollers afterall

DM

Are you booked in? My car wont be making the rollers as Star are mobbed for the next fortnight. :(

There getting to do my clutch as they quoted me £235 compared to £550 ish from Bedrock, dunno what thats about.

They said bring it on Thursday when Grim takes his and leave it with them.

The alternator I bought is at star already so hopefully ill make it there on 2 fully charged batteries.

just done the CV boots on my C today, its easy enought to do it yourself if you have a couple of hours free and want to save yourself some money! let me know and i'll be happy to explain :)

cheers mate, i greatly appreciate the offer

Star quoted me something very little for parts and labout for the cv boot and iv got a load of repairs anyway

Thank you

DM