Sign in to follow this  
Bolster

Speed Sensor

I have just put my car in for a service and they are telling me that the computer reports a bad speed sensor and this is stopping the car from running. They want to replace the battery (I've had my suspicions about the battery anyway.)

They reckon the speed sensor will cost me about £100 to fit and the same for a battery.

Can all you in the know tell me if I am being led up the garden path?

Many thanks in advance.

wheel speed sensor:-

64810 - Wheel speed sensor - Front left - 27.50

64811 - Wheel speed sensor - Front right - 29.70

(prices from GSF where I bought mine)

if thats what they are talking about then it is the garden path mate. get a part number and have a hunt on GSF and euro car parts.

I changed mine 2 weeks ago, very easy really.

Dunno why that would stop your car running though, so might not be that particular part. check with them again on a part number.

Cheers,

Thera

£100 for a battery?!? Keeeerrrriiisssstttt... Is it gold plated or something?!? :shock:

£67.21 from Euro for a Bosch one, or £50 for a non-named one... takes all of a couple of minutes to fit it too!

I'd guess on a VR that the speed sensor is one of the timing sensors if it's stopping it from running... I'm sure one of the VR owners here will clarify that shortly! :lol: 8) (Kevhaywire?!?)

£100 for a battery?!? Keeeerrrriiisssstttt... Is it gold plated or something?!?

Yep that was kind of my reaction too.

Any more posts on timing sensors on the VR6 - cost or if they can be cleaned etc?

I think I'm going to get the service stamp and retreive my car. They've reported on a whole list of other things that need doing but I won't be leaving it with them to do the work.

They maybe meant the crank speed sensor, not the ABS wheel sensors.

As reported above, battery is a £43 job. Go to GSF and get a 64Ah Bosch Silver. Fit it yerself!

(Even I managed that!!)

Why do you people take your cars to the dealers??? they are just rebodied golfs, they are p1ss easy to fix you know. :?

Why do you people take your cars to the dealers??? they are just rebodied golfs, they are p1ss easy to fix you know. :?

... if you can find the fault... :roll:

I described corrado maintenance as being like a Giant Mechano set to Danger Mouse last night... it's mainly only nuts and bolts to replace bits at the end of the day... :wink: :lol:

Saying that, I once described a computer as only being "burnt sand, plastic and a bit of lead..." puts it in perspective don't you think! :roll: :lol:

Thanks, That helps.

and as for

Why do you people take your cars to the dealers??? they are just rebodied golfs, they are p1ss easy to fix you know.

I know, I know. :oops: However I have a very good full history on the car and wanted a stamp in my book as I will have to sell it again next year when I head back down under (go Wallabies! :D - that's put a stop to the help I get here when we win the cup! :wink: Doh).

I also wanted the ECU interrogated (and have since found a contact for that thanks to this forum)

I'm more than capable of doing most repairs myself, and will be doing them once I know what all those repairs are.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts (and even some of the unhelpful and amusing ones)

The engine speed sensor is actually £140+VAT, so they're not leading you up the garden path.

Do these sensors always fail completely or can they sometimes just need a clean. If it's intermittant (which it would appear to be) then maybe it's a dodgy wire to the sensor??

For any of you with a VR6 I recommend the handbook for the engine by Peter Russek or Russek publications. I'll dig out the ISBN umber of it for you. only £6, and it tells you how to do a full strip down and rebuild.

until then, try reading the FAQ section at the top of the 12v VR6 forum, in the technical section of the http://www.vwvortex.com forums, you'll learn a lot about your car.

Hell, I knew nothing about the VR6 4 years ago. I've since fitted at least 5, and stripped 2 down, done cam swaps, chains, and all sorts, with no formal mechanic training whatsever.

Hell, I knew nothing about the VR6 4 years ago. I've since fitted at least 5, and stripped 2 down, done cam swaps, chains, and all sorts, with no formal mechanic training whatsever.

A man after my own heart. I just need to to find a shop that sells extra hours for my days! :lol:

The engine speed sensor is actually £140+VAT, so they're not leading you up the garden path.

Do these sensors always fail completely or can they sometimes just need a clean. If it's intermittant (which it would appear to be) then maybe it's a dodgy wire to the sensor??

They tend to lose their resolution first, causing lengthy starts and hesitation on part throttle. It's just a magnet and a bit of wire, you'll faint when you see what you get for £140! Scandalous.

You could pull it out and check there's no swarf on it upsetting the signal.

Kev

Bolster, If your spoiler is going up then your speed sensor is working, However it may not be sending the signal to all the correct places!!

For any of you with a VR6 I recommend the handbook for the engine by Peter Russek or Russek publications. I'll dig out the ISBN umber of it for you. only £6, and it tells you how to do a full strip down and rebuild.

there's already a link to that very book in this section :wink: .....somewhere........i take it you found the book very informative?

Bolster , If your spoiler is going up then your speed sensor is working, However it may not be sending the signal to all the correct places!!

That would be a good test for the speed sensors on the wheels. The sensor that is probably causing me grief is the engine speed sensor. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Bolster , If your spoiler is going up then your speed sensor is working, However it may not be sending the signal to all the correct places!!

That would be a good test for the speed sensors on the wheels. The sensor that is probably causing me grief is the engine speed sensor. Thanks for the tip anyway.

The speed senor for the spoiler is the VSS as it is correctly called :lol: and i thinki its in the gear box

someone mentioned these cars being easy to fix... IF you know the fault.

do like i do when i'm stumped. go to the shop you trust the most... tell them whatever's wrong... act like you're going to get them to fix it... get them to find the fault... then when they spring the cost on you say thank you good day and pay them for their time. go home, order the parts online and do it in the driveway and save 1/2 the money for beers and women. :lol:

someone mentioned these cars being easy to fix... IF you know the fault.

That'd be me then!

do like i do when i'm stumped. go to the shop you trust the most... tell them whatever's wrong... act like you're going to get them to fix it... get them to find the fault... then when they spring the cost on you say thank you good day and pay them for their time. go home, order the parts online and do it in the driveway and save 1/2 the money for beers and women. :lol:

Yup... My thoughts exactly! :wink: 8) Problem being the women bit never seems to happen after the beers... :roll: :lol: