Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

retro fitting third brake light

Has anyone done this? If so, how easy is it to do?

'cheesewire' has I believe, in the top of the tailgate trim, better there than the VAG one which isn't the neatest and requires cutting of the tailgate panel and you don't really want another opportunity for rust to start there.

If you select your LED light carefully and cut the upper trim with care it should look pretty good seen a few done neatly.

Has anyone done this? If so, how easy is it to do?

'cheesewire' has I believe, in the top of the tailgate trim, better there than the VAG one which isn't the neatest and requires cutting of the tailgate panel and you don't really want another opportunity for rust to start there.

If you select your LED light carefully and cut the upper trim with care it should look pretty good seen a few done neatly.

Would be great to see photos of the install and the light on. I'll do a search.

Did Henny not do one that was incorporated into the rear spoiler at one point?

Found these in Hennys G60 thread..... a very nice way of showing people that you are stopping!!

download/file.php?id=20142

download/file.php?id=34092

Aye, but you have to bear in mind the high intensity LEDs he used have a very limited viewing angle, so you need to get all of the holes drilled in exact alignment. If you don't, they will either appear different brightnesses to the person behind, or worse, not bright at all.

Very cool though! 8)

I defo want to get a brake light put at the top of the back window this year :)

Like this perhaps?...

Like this perhaps?...

Fair play that looks good. 8) Was considering this on my new valver....

I defo want to get a brake light put at the top of the back window this year :)

Like this perhaps?...

Wow where is that from or did you make it yourself?

I bought a high level light from eBay and then grafted it into the trim around the rear window. Took a couple of days to get it right, but I was happy with the end result, and thanks for the compliment :D

I bought a high level light from eBay and then grafted it into the trim around the rear window. Took a couple of days to get it right, but I was happy with the end result, and thanks for the compliment :D

I'm not sure how long it'd take you to do more, but if you get bored I'd have one off you and I'm sure a couple of other people would too... ;) :lol:

I'm not sure how long it'd take you to do more, but if you get bored I'd have one off you and I'm sure a couple of other people would too... ;) :lol:

Nice try Dom, A+ for effort :lol: The biggest issue wasn't the actual making of the thing though - that was a day or so with filler and a scalpel, and then painting it (and it was a fun, honest, and would recommend it to anyone). I trial fitted it a few times before actually applying the filler, to make sure it pointed in the right direction. Then lots of sandable filler, and lots of sanding to get it smooth. Cost approx £20 (for the light and filler), and then whatever paint you want.

The most character building part of the whole exercise is getting the wires through the 2 or 3 layers of the metalwork of the boot (without cracking the rear window while drilling very close to it), so it can be fed through the rubber boot into the roof of the car, before feeding down behind the c pillar and into the boot so it can be wired into the brake lights. That in itself took me a day or so (yes, I know I am slow).

Ah well, it was worth a shot :lol:

Absolutely, but with the odd jobs I have mounting up I wont be taking on any others for a while. Besides I think everyone should be able to experience the joys of working with filler and sandpaper, before realising it is pointing 90 degrees downward :lol:

Yeah, I've seen enough other people working with the "joys" of filler and sandpaper to know not to try it myself :lol:

NICE JOB! looks factory, wish I had time to do something like this. Still have to fix my sunroof which broke 2 years ago! :( .

Nice to know what can be done though. If you ever fancy making some money, I'd say these would sell very well.