Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Cars not selling. Reasons?

Hi

I am trying to sell my VR6 and its not going as well as I thought. Is it just the time of year, should I wait a month or so? Is there any other factors you guys can think of?

What sort of price do you guys is reasonable for my car? I thought it was one of the better ones? http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 12&t=65204

Is it better to play the waiting game? I am in no real rush just like to get a general feel for the market.

Thanks

I'd say i would be the time of the year mate. Most people will still be recovering from Christmas. I'd hang fire for a month or two....

I'd say there are few things working against you.....

The price of petrol - VR6s are thirsty feckers, lets be honest.

The price of everything - People just have less disposable income these days.

The car's price - I know the car well and how much Gareth spent on it and how well he looked after it, but despite that, £4300 is at the thicker end of what people are prepared to pay these days. I usually see similar VR6s going for between £2 to £3.5K.

Maybe the fact it's had a few owners over a short period is putting people off? It raises questions unfortunately....

I think it will go, you just need a little more patience 8)

Having driven her when GradeA had her I know she is a well looked after car, but am I right in saying that the car was nearly written off by your insurers last year?

This would pray on my mind.

I find it amazing that people often think that their car will sell as soon as they advertise it. It's only been for sale for 3-4 days and you're panicking about a lack of interest?? :lol: Did you genuinely think that you'd sell it instantly?

The only cars that sell within a couple of days of being advertised are the true bargains, where sellers just want rid of their cars so price them accordingly.

Having driven her when GradeA had her I know she is a well looked after car, but am I right in saying that the car was nearly written off by your insurers last year?

This would pray on my mind.

This is true, although the insurance company never actually saw the car, they just sent me a letter saying it wasnt worth repairing (again although not having seen the car or heard about what had happened). I spoke to them and they agreed that it was worth repairing. The letter seemed to be a standard letter they would sent to everyone with an older car. The only damage was bonnet, slam panel and headlight, no damage to the engine bay or anything in it. It has been repaired to a very high standard and I challenge anyone to show me where it was repaired! :lol: I did mention it in the ad as I beleive in being honest. I will happly take any pictures etc to show people, I really have nothing to hide. 8)

A few cars have had the odd bump etc, at least I am being upfront about it! :D

I find it amazing that people often think that their car will sell as soon as they advertise it. It's only been for sale for 3-4 days and you're panicking about a lack of interest?? :lol: Did you genuinely think that you'd sell it instantly?

The only cars that sell within a couple of days of being advertised are the true bargains, where sellers just want rid of their cars so price them accordingly.

Point taken :lol:

I think I am just worrying about nothing.

Thanks people.

Point taken :lol:

I think I am just worrying about nothing.

Thanks people.

If you want some more reassurance, if I were in the market for a VR at the moment - which I'm not - I'd definitely have taken a look at yours. It's pretty obviously a nice car that's had most of the major stuff sorted all ready. You just need the right buyer to come along, so take it easy and be patient.

Remove the BMC filter and the rear lights and put the OEM parts back on. You'll increase your market opportunity as many people will just walk away from a car that's "obviously" modified.

And without wishing to upset you, £4300 for a 93 car with average miles is ludicrous. 96N Storms have been Autotrader for less than that recently, with far fewer miles. I think you'll do ok to make £3500 frankly, and that's what I paid for my own '93 car two years ago.

afraid i can only agree with what others have said re: the price.

long time since vr's have gone for that money and with that mileage i'd be very surprised if you even came close.

I think the entire car market is suffering at the minute. There is supposed to be a further 2p going onto the price of petrol soon, which isn't helping matters.

And for me, personally, i think VR6's are over priced. I mean the difference between a tidy VR6 and a tidy 16v is around £2.5-£3k.

As a 'drivers car' they're also over priced. A very tidy VR6 with around 100k on the clock will set you back £5k. Now just take into consideration the Honda Integra. £5K gets you a very good example, with around 50k on the clock, and they're blooming fast, and around 3-5yrs newer too.

But i just think the time of the year and the economic climate isn't helping

And for me, personally, i think VR6's are over priced. I mean the difference between a tidy VR6 and a tidy 16v is around £2.5-£3k.

Hmmm, have you driven a rado VR6? :lol:

At the moment I think C's are worth more in parts than as a proper car.

Tried selling mine a few weeks ago and the best offer was around £1100. Which is a bit poor considering I could have got more money with the offers that came in for certain bits off it, such as the leather interior, VW reg plate, alloys and the supercharger. :(

Just the wrong time of year. Everyone skint after Crimbo or paying for this years hols. Oh and with the current weather a boat or sledge might be more suitable as a mode of transport for some.

Hmmm, have you driven a rado VR6? :lol:

I have. Have also driven a Honda Integra, hence why i used it as a comparison :D

I wasn't doubting the comparisson with the integra, I just found it suprising that you think that VR6's are over priced at the moment and that they're not worth that much more than valvers, IMO - the VR6 is a completely different car to the valver and vastly better :)

I wasn't doubting the comparisson with the integra, I just found it suprising that you think that VR6's are over priced at the moment and that they're not worth that much more than valvers, IMO - the VR6 is a completely different car to the valver and vastly better :)

True, they are completely different and vastly better, but are they £2.5k better?

I might just be suffering from VR6 envy though, if i'd bought one instead of a valver i'd probably be defending it to the death :lol:

Two reasons why cars dont sell imho.

One is crap condition.

Two is Overpriced.

Yours is obviously not the former so it must be the later.

True, they are completely different and vastly better, but are they £2.5k better?

I'd agree with you! Neither the 16v's or the Vr6's are really a "fast" car considering what's out there...so I wouldn't be buying one for outright speed, just the cars style and handling. Valvers will handle as well (if not better due to less weight upfront) than a Vr6, and look pretty much identical.

Yes there is no doubt that given a straight choice between a valver and a Vr6, I'd have the Vr6......but.....for roughly the same amount of money, I know what I'd take if I had a choice of taking 3 valvers or 1 Vr6 in the same condition!!

Remove the BMC filter and the rear lights and put the OEM parts back on. You'll increase your market opportunity as many people will just walk away from a car that's "obviously" modified...

I would leave the BMC where it is. I don't think that would put a potential buyer off, in the way that the lights/wheel might. The engine bay looks good. I would agree with changing the rear light cluster and steering wheel. These things are more likely to 'offend' (no offense, :) ).

Lovely car, and will sell no problem.

Then again - people and insurance companies use Glass's guide for car prices - and a K reg VR6 at the top end is worth £1600. As I found out when I had to make a claim.

It's a bit of a warning really - make sure when you take out insurance - you have an agreed price for the value of the car - otherwise the insurance company will stick to the value in Glass's guide.

Then again - people and insurance companies use Glass's guide for car prices - and a K reg VR6 at the top end is worth £1600. As I found out when I had to make a claim.

It's a bit of a warning really - make sure when you take out insurance - you have an agreed price for the value of the car - otherwise the insurance company will stick to the value in Glass's guide.

I think you'll find the insurers have to either repair your car or replace it with the equivalent,

I know of quite a few people who have told their insurance co.s to go and find them an equivalent car for the usually dismal first offer price and this usually results in a backtrack and a decent offer.

Of course there are still co's round who will argue the toss but show me a decent spec Corrado for 1600 quid.......

Two reasons why cars dont sell imho.

One is crap condition.

Two is Overpriced.

Yours is obviously not the former so it must be the later.

I'd narrow that down even further and say there's only one reason: price. Because even if a car is crap, it will still find a buyer for the right price. We see that all the time when some C's that are not even roadworthy, still sell (albiet for parts).