Jim Bowen

Folia Tec Caliper Paint

anyone used this?

is it a spray or a brush on product?

thinking of getting some to do the 288 calipers i have sat around. i take it i need to cover up the hole for the piston and bleed nipples etc, Calipers are in pieces at the mo

brush on ,comes in two tins that you mix , what you don't use goes off after a while , needs 2or 3 coats to get a good shine , biggest problem is you cant drive car till its harderned at least 24 hours i think , still good stuff i think

Rob

Yeah, I used it on mine - it's fantastic stuff, if a little pricey. I did my callipers with it over 2yrs ago now and they still look shiney and new.

You get a spray can of brake cleaner and 2 pots of stuff you have to mix up and brush on (doesn't come with a brush and any brush you use will be destroyed afterwards).

Make sure you've got everything all laid out before you mix the two pots of stuff together, because once they're mixed you've got an hour or so before it gets too thick to paint any more.

Don't spill it on anything because you'll never get it off/out - even paint stripper won't budge it.

cheers guys :)

not driving it shouldn't be a prob as the brakes are in my room waiting to be fitted.

how good is the cleaner? how clean were your calipers Dom before painting.

have been at mine with wire wool and sand paper but still can't get every bit of black dirt off them, thinking of just painting them now, too much rubbing to get them like new

just becareful not to paint the bits hat the pads silde on as you will end up scraping it back off as its thick enough to stop the pads fitting

Rob

TBH the paint sticks like shit to a blanket, so those look more than clean enough. The brake cleaner will get any slime and grease off, so the paint should stick ok. Just make they're nice and dry before you start painting.

As said - don't paint any of the inside edges of the carriers (i.e. pretty much any part of the carrier you can see in that second pic) as the brake pads slide along that that bit. Also make sure you don't put anything in any bolt holes or around the piston and you should be ok.

TBH the paint sticks like **** to a blanket, so those look more than clean enough. The brake cleaner will get any slime and grease off, so the paint should stick ok. Just make they're nice and dry before you start painting.

As said - don't paint any of the inside edges of the carriers (i.e. pretty much any part of the carrier you can see in that second pic) as the brake pads slide along that that bit. Also make sure you don't put anything in any bolt holes or around the piston and you should be ok.

thats good to know, i was going to paint the whole carrier :!

so i guess i only want to do the bits that are visble when they are on the car.

this is fab news, saves me sanding away. think i'll just order paint now

so i guess i only want to do the bits that are visble when they are on the car.

this is fab news, saves me sanding away. think i'll just order paint now

Aye, I just did the visible bits on mine. Far easier.

Halfords sell the Folia Tec stuff for about £18 last time I looked, might be able to get it online cheaper though.

Frankly Hammerite (or Smoothrite if you prefer) works just as well, is just as heat resistant, is available in a lot more colours (including silvers, bronze & gold metallics), and is a fraction of the price.

Ive just used hammerite smooth on the Mk4 rears that will be going on mine and it looks lovely.. Much better finish than using brush on, durability reports to follow. I used halfords brush on for my 288s and they worked really well, there is going to be a colour chage soon though so i reckon ill be going with the spray...

Ive just used hammerite smooth on the Mk4 rears that will be going on mine and it looks lovely.. Much better finish than using brush on, durability reports to follow. I used halfords brush on for my 288s and they worked really well, there is going to be a colour chage soon though so i reckon ill be going with the spray...

Going silver Michael?

think i'll just get the folia tec, have used the hammerite on my current brakes and it was ok but seems to be coming off etc, don't think i did a very good job of cleaning the calipers first

Going silver Michael?

Rears are done in silver ready to go on when the rear beam goes back on..

Keeping the fronts red for ultimate dubs but then silver, reds wouldnt look too good behind RSs i reckon.... :)

think i'll just get the folia tec, have used the hammerite on my current brakes and it was ok but seems to be coming off etc, don't think i did a very good job of cleaning the calipers first

Well it's your decision and your money of course, but if the Hammerite is coming off that's because you didn't clean the surface properly, not because you used Hammerite!

Im just about to paint my MK4 calipers up, and I noticed on the tins, that it suggests using their special metals primer.

I dont know whether to stick with Hammerite, or fork out for some caliper paint?

Im painting mine Grey 8)

Well it's your decision and your money of course, but if the Hammerite is coming off that's because you didn't clean the surface properly, not because you used Hammerite!

just to reply to these after my experience (have given it a few years)

calipers when i got them

DSC00297-1.jpg

starting to clean them up

DSC00529.jpg

totally cleaned, no corrosion left

DSC00623-1.jpg

painted with hammerite and rebuilt

DSC00648.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

Year or two later

2011-08-15144102.jpg

not sure what i did wrong.