Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Land Rover 101 Ambulance: Back off and on ground Pg3

Been looking for one recentely, found one local to me, came to a deal with the seller and its now mine and a mates :D

picking it up in a week or so

f497_1.jpg

b097_1.jpg

a475_1.jpg

757d_1.jpg

14,000miles from new, not bad considering they made in the 70's.

3.5 V8 petrol, its in fab condition for its age and considering its an army vehicle

bad arse ain't it :lol:

me and a friend have gone halfs on it, plan to rebuild it into a camper type vehicle and use it to go travelling.

my friend wants to spend a year driving to and around Africa, but thats a couple of few years away

Whoa! I was about to roll my eyes at some pictures of a new'ish Discovery or something but that took me surprise! Rock on! :)

Have you got any Tricky to play on the stereo perchance?

I hope you checked how many miles to the gallon you get out of one of those before you shook on the deal. Clue : It ain't many...

i think its 12v, it has electronic ignition done already though.

and yes, its about 10mpg :lol: but you can drive anywhere, down rivers, over fallen trees, sand dunes 8)

bad arse ain't it :lol:

me and a friend have gone halfs on it, plan to rebuild it into a camper type vehicle and use it to go travelling.

my friend wants to spend a year driving to and around Africa, but thats a couple of few years away

As Toad said to me the other day - it's a cool looking beast, but it's a pretty English one. Finding any parts outside of the UK is going to be near-enough impossible, so it might be worth taking a trailer with spares to Africa with you...

we will take some spares, spare leaf springs, brake parts, light fitings, some engine bits......its very likely stuff will break

there is quite a community of people who have done exact same thing, some of them have had things shipped out to them while they been travelling. I spose that the joy of travelling, no dead lines/plans to stick to etc

Should be a good adventure, we planning to go for 2010, i spose only time will tell tho

ive always wanted to go on a trip like that, i used to have a 66 series II and bought all the landy mags with people doing trips through africa etc frying eggs on the gearbox cover inside the cabin. lol Always promised myself id do someting similar.

Ive kinda changed my plans now and my plan is to rent a 4x4 camper in north australia and drive through the outback... its a cop out i know!

From what ive read i think you may be surprised at how many spares for landies are available around africa. Plus that V8 is a very common beastie!

landy 101 what a hog :D

what else can be said ???? lol

looks in really nice conition and 14k miles, how longs it been stood for?!?!

well the guy we bought it from only bought it himself in November so not had it long, worries me a little, but there isn't very many around for sale, especially within 3miles of where i live.

the chap it bought it from only lived another 5 or so miles away :lol:

nice :!

that looks a good one, is it a customers?

what you doing to it?

still not picked mine up, looking like next week now

Yes im the same one.. :D Did an MOT and needed some brake pipes,brakes re adjusting,way to much rear braking :shock: that was fun trying to stop :lol: its not bad for its age i like it allot,might keep a look out for one when the raddo is done.....thats never then :lol:

wooohooo at last, got the 101 to its new home last week.

my god its a funny devil to drive, but fecking awesome, i drove up a big pile of dirt/rubble like it wasn't there :lol:

its the total opposite of my corrado, so high up to get into :lol:

where it'll be living for a while

DSC00501.jpg

dash board

DSC00502.jpg

there is loads of knobs and levels/dials etc that we don't know what they do :lol: got controls everything, like all round the handbrake etc?????? baffled, just pulled, pushed and switched them all, didn't know what its done, nothing by the looks of it :lol:

is loads of army stuff in it too.

our box of denators :lol:

DSC00503.jpg

will get more pics as i explore it, need to get a manual.

then gotta find new wheels & tyres and redo all the brakes, they shite, its like it hasn't got brakes, but i suspect something is leaking

They drive Lovely...

we had these in the TA years ago.

they would go anywhere and do an amazing 0-to 80 in no time at all.

try and find a trailer to compliment it.

they wre always well serviced,looks like a Nato one as its clock is in kph.

the uk ones only went to 80 and they would get off the clock in no time 8) :lol: