boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Ahhh nuts.....the words 'Twin Turbo'....had me spilling tea on my desk and wildly clicking the link........shock absorbers!!!....what a let down!! :tongue: :lol: :lol:

Shocks look good though! Used to have those Boge shocks on mine and I cant fault them! Looked almost new when I removed them too, even though they had three years use. Get that front end assembled and on the car now! :wink: 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, but it had to be done :grin:

Yeah, really need to crack on now. VW bits and bobs should be in tomorrow - stone guards for the hubs, random bolts and fixings which always need buying! :clap:

really hoping the shocks don't sit mile high with standard springs, guess there's only one way to find out :cheers:

must remember to get the alignment done too as it'll be having a new steering rack. Hmm.

@Andi, :lol: yeah, those are my same Gola velcros that appear in most of my bird's eye view pics! :salute:

@Rob, what ever do you mean? They're turbos are they? :wink: I think me dropping £££s on actual turbochargers at the moment would be the most pointless thing, unless I wanted some Garrett paperweights :cuckoo: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I'll be assembling this weekend all being well :cheers:

@Rob, what ever do you mean? They're turbos are they? :wink: I think me dropping £££s on actual turbochargers at the moment would be the most pointless thing, unless I wanted some Garrett paperweights :cuckoo: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is EXACTLY what i said to someone.

I knew i'd never get done if i stopped everything and went turbo now .My shiny new turbo would just end up being an expensive paperweight.

I have enough expensive paper weights knocking around as it is.

:lol:

small manageable doable projects is the way forward until that lottery money comes in.

:salute:

Good advice Rob. Looks like I'll have work through september, but then things will REALLY slow down in october with uni starting up again, which is GUTTING cos it's MOT time.

Luckily the new landlord is into motorsport and said I could leave the car up on stands on the drive if need be. Result :D

Just realised the spare top mount plates (golden discs) are not the same. One is slightly dished on the underside on the central section, and the other is flat! Might be a Golf 2/Golf 3 variation.

Might have to wait until I get the old shocks off to use the top plates from them.

Oh, and I have spare top mount nuts, seeing as the shocks came with them :)

:lol: good call :D I put the wheel hub on today, but can't get my suspension top mounts off - need to get a special 22mm socket.

So will still be on old suspension but I guess I could mosey on by.

:lol: good call :D I put the wheel hub on today, but can't get my suspension top mounts off - need to get a special 22mm socket.

So will still be on old suspension but I guess I could mosey on by.

you having trouble with the nuts holding the old suspension & top mounts on dude? forgive me if im reading this wrong, im pretty hung over :pukeright:

Yeah mate, the drop-ring spanner I have is too wide to get down into the cupped section where the 22mm nut is sitting!

p.s. gonna change thread title now before I get flamed anymore :lol:

socket, mole grips to tightly hold the socket so you can turn it, allen key, and pliers to turn the allen key. thatll sort you out, its how ive done all my vw's suspension.

chris

I use a sparkplug socket with a spanner on the top, and a sawn off allen key down the middle with a small socket and ratchet on the top of it.

Last time we did this was on Prodigal's Audi 80. We had a proper handled 7mm allen key and a long metal sleeve over that, and then the drop-ring 22mm spanner which fit in the audi mounts properly. The Allen key was twisting really badly and I don't think i could get enough torque on a mole-gripped socket.

I'm gonna try to find a 22mm socket which has flat or hex external sides.

Last time we did this was on Prodigal's Audi 80. We had a proper handled 7mm allen key and a long metal sleeve over that, and then the drop-ring 22mm spanner which fit in the audi mounts properly. The Allen key was twisting really badly and I don't think i could get enough torque on a mole-gripped socket.

I'm gonna try to find a 22mm socket which has flat or hex external sides.

get some spinige down you dude, you be fine :)

nice progress... large spark plug socket is the way forward as they have the flats on them. worked for me anyway.... after a good soaking in penetrating fluid.

if you're changing the shocks then a bit of heat on the nut first may help (don't go too mad though as you wouldn't want the rest of the shocks getting too hot.

And that's how I put suspension together :cheers:

image006is4.jpg

Will have to compress the springs again to get the top plates on most likely, but for now they'll do :grin:

AVS order still hasn't arrived after a week, despite the money being taken on monday. I've emailed sales to see what's going on, normally they're so quick... :|