boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

slamming the door and walking away in disgust saying

"stoopid car" :mad2:

Don't think I've done that, but on several occasions I have done the other variant - sigh deeply and visualise a growing hole in my pocket/wallet/bank account!

If I didn't care, I'd just shrug. So it's a good thing I think.

I do still love it really :luvlove:

I think the difference between our reactions bro, is that you have cashola with which to fix things and I don't. Not really.

I think the difference between our reactions bro, is that you have cashola with which to fix things and I don't. Not really.

Nail on the head there! It would be an annoyance and inconvenience, but not too bad if you had the dosh to sort it. When you haven't though, it can actually be quite stressful, on several levels, especially when you have a family = why I had to get rid of mine :(

Thought i'd attack my grille today:

image012uf1.jpg

image011tb2.jpg

Subsequent tattoo :lol:

image014tt3.jpg

End result:

image015yo8.jpg

image016et3.jpg

Glossier than I was hoping for, but it'll do for now. I think it looks Audi-esque with the super black grille and square lights.

Shame the grille shows up how faded the headlight black surrounds are! :shrug:

I know I need a job! The whole project has ground to a halt, which is why i've been cleaning vac lines and spraying grilles! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

You really need a job Jon!

Get some Autglym Bumper Snot! Will bring the h/light surrounds back a treat!

TRY PEANUT BUTTER

TRY PEANUT BUTTER

:lol: Do it! want to see how that comes out.

I have loads of matt black enamel paint (that I used to detail/de-chrome my tail lights) that would work a treat on the headlight surrounds. You just need to mask the clear plastic and paint away. :wink:

Last time I gave mine a big wash and wax, I used black boot polish on the faded plastic trim - looked great, but didn't last much more than a week in all the sunshine we've had! :roll:

TRY PEANUT BUTTER

The smooth variety works apparently, as does ground-nut oil. But both are a PITA to remove.

The A-G stuff's good and as long as you don't use too much lasts a while too (all about layers like polish/wax) Plus a bottle will last a couple years as there's not too much black on a C, use a detailing sponge to apply and you don't overload the surface like you will with a rag.

Now if everyone could stop talking about rubbing food into my car like some kind of sordid food fetish then that'd be great.

Cazza, no mention of my really lame early grille? :lol: :roll:

Thought about it, but why kick a monkey when he's already down?

BTW, change that frack awful early grille! :lol:

Need a reasonably good early 16v grille badge? I got one for sale mate?

Ah Captain Sideburns, welcome to my humble thread.

Is it a chrome one?

"y u wanna bling your c innit?"

:lol: that's the last thing on my mind!

tbh, I have way more pressing / mechanical issues to get on with than do any kind of body stuff.

So, after a frustrating friday afternoon where all my picture uploads kept stalling out, I have got at least some of the pictures up!

First fun of the day, hub nuts! And look what happened:

image018cl4.jpg

This happened when I was using my arms and not even standing on the breaker bar.... got your tickets? (pow pow)

A few underside shots, probs the first even I've seen properly!

image029na3.jpg

The reason I would like a new rad support panel :shock:

image025od9.jpg

Believe it or not, this is a welded in plate on the corner of the drivers floorpan before the arch begins. Looks pretty ratty huh! Luckily it hasn't gone through to the inside floorpan.

image031lp3.jpg

In a massive bout of irony, it looks like the subframe I have on the car is pretty damn fresh! If it comes off and separates ok, it will be up for sale (ProdigalSon/Dirtytorque first dibs?)

image024dx8.jpg

Soaked everything in my favourite fluid (no, not Guinness): Plusgas. Had zero probs with the carrier bolts, 17mm LBJ to hub bolt, track rod end, strut to hub bolts... although the hub nut did shear my 1/2" drive extension but I seem to have a spare so that is all good.

image020us4.jpg

Show me some early spec love :luvlove: 8) I'm thinking I could use these to fire ninja stars out the front of the car perhaps... pteaaoowww :salute:

image036rp5.jpg

Was a bit rough with my shaft (Easy Dom/Tom) and managed to bend the internal circlip which made the outer CV do this :nuts: Have ordered a new clip which I'll pick up today.

image037uo4.jpg

Stripping down the outer CV. Fascinating bits of kit engineering-wise, not so much fun when you're rummaging through grease looking for what seems to be a broken paperclip.

image040pv1.jpg

The back was cocking a wheel as I just jacked up the O/S, and I sneakily spotted these..... anyone else running twin turbos on the back? :lol:

So, the old hub is off... I can't tell whether it's the one which was making noise (it sounded like the noise was coming from my right leg, and as my right leg bearings are fine, I'm hoping it was the O/S wheel instead). The bearing spins freely with a slight grating noise, but has zero axial play. Replacement spins less freely, but has slight axial play. Guess we'll see how good it is when I put it on!

That reminds me, I'll be able to use these little male-male copper lines to attach my G60 calipers to my early 16v brake lines :cheers:

image037uo4.jpg

Nice work! Good to see it (almost) came apart relatively easily!

I snapped a scissors type ball joint separator trying to get the tie-rd end out of the hub once! Dunno how long it had been in there but it definitely didn't want to budge! :shock: :shock:

That weld plate looks a bit ratty alright... :pale: I'd get a wire brush, some rust killer and some underbody sealant at it asap!

Thanks. Prodigal just ran me up to VW to get my circlip: £0.08 + VAT! :shock: Luckily I had to pick up some suspension parts anyways (got everything but shocks now... :roll: )

I hate doing Balljoint separators, my old tie rod "exploded" out of the hub and shot the separators across the gravel! Ugh, kinda unnerving.

I will have to get on the floorpan sitch soon! I'm hoping to grey stripe the whole underneath but I've heard it's a massive ballache and I don't have a pit or a heat gun or anything.

Also, I'm surprised the Corrado floorpan doesn't have the little jacking turrets like a Mk2 floor does? :scratch:

Also, I'm surprised the Corrado floorpan doesn't have the little jacking turrets like a Mk2 floor does? :scratch:

FYI These are to support the car when it's on the skids going down the trim line. It has no drivetrain in at this point so its quite light

Finished the hub swap, but my hub nut stripped its own thread when I put it back on.

So I'm on a scrounge for a hub nut at the mo! :help: