boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Placed the solid pulley and coolant flush on order, which means I won't have the pump done today :sad:

Decided I could put my new subframe on today, but then I would obviously have to get the rack aligned so it probably won't be very driveable until I get that done, certainly not driving aligned enough to test the water pump!

Catch 22.

I guess I could get it all bolted up and connected, do the pump tomorrow and then go from there :salute:

I'll fetch the camera..

p.s. if you're wondering why i'm trying to do too much at once, it's because uni starts again on Monday and I will literally have a maximum of _maybe_ 2 hours a week to work on the car. That's how crazy next semester is :confused4:

For info the idler pulley was superceded by the solid one because it was such a sh1te piece of design. Mine rattled for at least two years until the pump went, when it was changed. If yours was truely, truely shagged you'll be amazed how much quieter the engione sounds!

Mine rattles loudly at idle. And it was actually Colin who told me about the solid pully, probably should have credited him a bit sooner.

pistonzsn5.png

Pistons labelled from crank pulley end :nuts: so...uh...yeah. Says it all really doesn't it! :drinking:

First piston went up slow 6 - 8 - 10psi and then edged up from there, then towards the flywheel end the compression tests got progressively better. Cylinder 4 was actually bordering on 17psi on the leakdown :shock:

So, looks like the rings are all going along with the HG as the leakdown showed a consistent 2bar increase in all 4 cylinder pressures with a small amount of oil down the bores.

Thoughts?

Considering the pump and stat were both fine and the results of the compression tests, I think Plum might be off the road for a little bit.

Are they not within the VW specs then? I'm sure they allow for a far bigger diference across the cylinders?

48 PSI is the spec so prolly are within tollerence but it's the same as the 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles - would you really be happy with an engine using that much!

HG worth doing if you have the time / skills but otherwise it will probably be ok till next year unless it's exhaust gas pressurising the cooling system...

Are they not within the VW specs then? I'm sure they allow for a far bigger diference across the cylinders?

AFAIK, it's +- 1bar and as the lowest and highest are 3 bar apart, I'm guessing it's fooked?

48 PSI is the spec so prolly are within tollerence but it's the same as the 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles - would you really be happy with an engine using that much!

HG worth doing if you have the time / skills but otherwise it will probably be ok till next year unless it's exhaust gas pressurising the cooling system...

AH cheers steve, didn't read yours before posting :nuts:

yeah, valid point on the spec for sure. Head wise, I think I can manage head bolts and the gasket, plus a new belt just to be safe.

I'll get the spare rebuilt up asap and swap it in. DOubt the C will see much roadage over winter now...maybe though...

Jon, might be picking up the botom end of a KR that I don't need (only want it for the head) if you want a spare?

YES please :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: my spare crank is fooked! Else I got one lined up from Shaggy for £15 which isn't bad.

Mine rattles loudly at idle. And it was actually Colin who told me about the solid pully, probably should have credited him a bit sooner.

Cheers dude! :wave:

I saw something odd underneath the front end this morning when I was poking around doing coolant things (I'll get to the HG, don't worry ;)). DUnno if i'm going crazy or whether something is missing? could someone have a little look at it for me please? :scratch:

underplumfa4.jpg

hmmmmm there is something missing there alright......cant quite figure out what it is tho! No doubt it's something small and useless anyway, it'll probably drive fine without it! :lol: :tongue:

Yeah, in normal circumstances the difference probably wouldn't be ideal. But, Jonny boy's not got much money, there are other things to fix and it might not be the issue just yet, therefore I'd just get on and use it until there is a genuine issue with the head gasket.

Oh, and we've had 2 pages on a water pump swap. Could you imagine how long his thread would become if he did the head gasket? :lol:

Dunno if i'm going crazy or whether something is missing?

Gearbox! ..... Engine!...... :scratch: Don't give me any clues, I'll get it in a minute.....

Oh, and we've had 2 pages on a water pump swap. Could you imagine how long his thread would become if he did the head gasket? :lol:

:rofl: Can I take a guess at 1,420,490,367,238,908 pages?

Gearbox! ..... Engine!...... :scratch: Don't give me any clues, I'll get it in a minute.....

Come on, it's easy :D :nuts:

You're a b