Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

VR6 versus 944 Turbo - (or Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo??)

On the negative side most of them seem to have had major engine rebuilds after 50-60k, suggesting they aren't the most reliable of cars.

Thats nothing to do with the reliability.

Tandino, you're not making sense.

Im making perfect sense,

The engines go pop because the owners run them low on oil.

This is not the engine being unreliable.

Plus side for Alfa's and Fiat's, being Italian they all come with heated seats..... or is it just the dodgy wiring :?

Plus side for Alfa's and Fiat's, being Italian they all come with heated seats..... or is it just the dodgy wiring :?

Well seeing as everything works on ours and its coming upto 10 yrs old in September i think VW should perhaps ask Fiat for some pointers on wiring.....

LOL!

I'd quit now if I was you T, wrong place to start an anti-VW rally! :lol:

@OP, have you driven a 20vt coupe at all?

LOL!

I'd quit now if I was you T, wrong place to start an anti-VW rally! :lol:

@OP, have you driven a 20vt coupe at all?

Im hardly anti VW,

Been driving VW for longer than most - 17 yrs........

I just hate reading unsubstatiated ill informed BS from people who dont know what theyre talking about, especially when the blinkers are down on other Marques.

For the record, i didnt really like Fiat much before i bought the Coupe for the missus 3 yrs ago,

Since then its needed nothing more than routine maintenance, a new front wishbone (ball joints built in so has to be replaced complete), a new front hub when the guys replacing the tyres sheared two wheel bolts,and ive just replaced the manifold as it had cracked.

Unreliable! Pah.....

Oh and on the road it would kick the living daylights out of most things, Corrado VR6 included.

Yes the handling is not quite as tidy as the Corrado when nearing the limit, but it has good'ish brakes,excellent traction out of bends, a slick gearchange, great engine note and jaw dropping grunt especially when coupled with a remap.

Doesnt mean to say i dont love my Corrado but i can appreciate the merits of something with a non German badge on the front.

Seem to have touched a nerve......

I can cover all my bases as far a anything I say. I actually had a 146 company car a couple of years back. I had it three years and it had a new engine every year!!!!! And so many electrical faults I lost count.

I rest my case.

PS I loved it to bits though, just like my C faults and all :D

i think VW should perhaps ask Fiat for some pointers on wiring.....

Agreed. God knows what on earth VW were playing at with the Corrado's headlight wiring.

Oh and on the road it would kick the living daylights out of most things, Corrado VR6 included.

As you'd expect from a car with more power and torque, plus proper brakes a torsen diff.

"Kick the living daylights" is a slight exaggeration though, but typical of forum street racing claims.

Before I started playing with my VR6, it had no trouble keeping with a standard 20VT, in a straight line at least. The 20VT obviously has a slight advantage in midrange acceleration because of the turbo, but both cars going hell for leather; there's nothing in it.

Before I started playing with my VR6, it had no trouble keeping with a standard 20VT, in a straight line at least. The 20VT obviously has a slight advantage in midrange acceleration because of the turbo, but both cars going hell for leather; there's nothing in it.

No way will a stock Vr6 get anywhere near a 20vt.

They run sub 14 sec 1/4 stock.

Also 156mph standard.

Show me a stock Vr6 that will get anywhere near those figures.

Im not wanting an arguement but i just know from experience and owning/driving both cars back to back and ruling out driver error or differences in driving style - no comparison....

Theyre both great cars in their own rights and i love both of them.

I guess it depends what you are looking for, OP.

In the remotest of situations where I had £thousands to spend on a car, I would undoubtedly find a chassis I liked and then build it up from that. You could build it exactly how you wanted etc etc.

The Fiat is no doubt a more modern design and comes loaded with goodies, but the looks just let it down for me (lights and those 4-spokes...)

This is all academic/opinion anyways.

Perhaps if you had some ideas of what you wanted out of your car, there would be more scope for saying the pros and cons of each?

Corrados are old cars they definatly have their faults, Their looks i personally find much nicer than a 944 or fiat coupe to be honest i'd like the mrs to have somethinglike a fiat coupe but i wouldnt have one myself.

The "kick the living daylights" comment is a laugh realistically you have to have a fair chunk of bhp/weight over another car to kick the living daylights out of it and thats assuming your talking about a fair "test" drving a fiat vs a VR would definatly feel faster, its a turbo its going to kick you in the ass its the nature of a turbo, my 20vt rado felt alot quicker than my S/C schrick'd VR but it simply wasnt. Take any of my mates in the car they thought the turbo was amazing just because it put them back in their seat with a thump.

The feel of a car driving is completely different than the actual road pace truth is your senses are pretty crap at detecting speed :( without looking at the speedo lol.

Truth of it is these days you can pick charged VRs or cheap VRs and cheap chargers up for peanuts and its easy enough to setup yourself.

Standard though obviously the fiat is quicker, personally from working in a garage though and working on them and with 2 of my mates having them i'd rather take a rado for an MOT than any Fiat :?

The 944 is a cracking car, overlooked far too often and ahead of its time well balanced good handling and tidy peformance with the scope to improve, also i love the 80s flared arches look.

If you want a turbo setup and something you can just cheaply tune re-map/chip and use as a boost boat i'd go for the 944, if you want outright performance, no replacement for displacement as the yanks say and you can see a VR to the 300bhp mark for the cost of a standard VR 2 or 3 years back.... an well they look better right? lol

No way will a stock Vr6 get anywhere near a 20vt.

They run sub 14 sec 1/4 stock.

Also 156mph standard.

Show me a stock Vr6 that will get anywhere near those figures.

Im not wanting an arguement but i just know from experience and owning/driving both cars back to back and ruling out driver error or differences in driving style - no comparison....

Theyre both great cars in their own rights and i love both of them.

We're talking a couple of car lengths at most. They both weigh the same. 20hp is not enough of a difference to kick it's arse. Arse kicking in my book is pulling away from another car like it's standing still, and to keep pulling away....and from speeds that really test an engine's flexibilty, such as 70mph in top gear.

No 20VT has ever pulled away from my Corrado like it's standing still, standard or otherwise. It edges away a car length or two initially due to the turbo torque, but doesn't maintain that lead until you get way past 100mph where it'll start edging away again.

I'm not saying the 20VT isn't fast. It is, but not as fast as you make out.

It's all academical anyway because due to the rarity of both cars and the chances of both being in the peak of their tune should they meet, makes tussles a rare thing.

Pick on a 20VT on a hot day, which intercoolers hate, or a VR with a shagged cam sensor, and it's an easy win for one of them.

Too many variables but I can definitely lay claim to keeping up with a stock one with a stock VR. Numbers are one thing, real life is another. Granted, he was in front taking all the wind resistance though :lol:

Kevs right, quoting book figures on 0-60 and 1/4s will never prove much and you'd be loooking at a good 50bhp difference for a car that weighs similar before you'll be pulling away easily and kicking somethings ass you'll need alot more (thats assuming power delivery is the same n/a vs turbo boost etc) its all proportional aswell 20bhp aint that huge of a difference to cars pushing 200 and to cars pushing 300 its even less an so etc.

Well for starters its 30bhp difference and approx 50lb/ft of torque.

Okay okay perhaps kick the living daylights was a bit much but owning both cars back to back id say the Fiat is significantly quicker in a straight line.

Mid range overtaking is great as you have power in the mid range that you have to wind the VR6 up for.And hhaving owned plenty of fast cars in my time the Coupe still really impresses me with its grunt.

And how can a man not like the headlights - styled on a ladies arse :lol:

So nobody thinks that 3 engines in as many years is a little unusual? Excessive oil consumption in all cases.

Please don't get me wrong, I like Fiats. A mate of mine had a 128 Sport many years ago (far more than I like to admit these days, ok over 20), a beautiful car. 2 door hatch with a 1300cc carbed engine that made 75hp. The car was an old old N reg so it would have been pretty old even then. It went like a rocket, revved and revved. Used to eat gearboxes mind, more likely down to the way he used to drive in though :)

We also had an Alfa 156 in our company pool for a while, with the paddle automated gearbox (Sellespeed?). Lots of fun to drive, but unfortunately did break down a far bit.

Like anything mass manufactured in a factory, some have problems, some don't.

Oh and the 944 is a great motor, it's just the running costs that put me off. Next door neighbour had a 968 (very different I know), but a service with all the belts changed was over £1300! OK main dealer prices, but the parts alone came to over £500 for rubber belts, oil and filter. Thats far to rich for me I'm affraid

I had a play with Fiat 20vt on the A3 the other day i could keep up with it but that's about it he gave up when he realised he couldn't pull away. Very quick car and they always wanna play.

Ok

Someone with a stock VR6 organise a day at Santa Pod RWYB and ill show you how much quicker a Coupe 20vt is...

I drive both back to back and in a straight line its a one sided race.

I love my VR6 but there is no way it would keep up with the 20vt,

Im ruling out driver error here as i drive both, comparing two cars on the road with two different drivers is crap..

This is an unbiased opinion as your going to get.....

Believe what you want to believe, when someone shows me a stock Vr6 running high 13's/low 14's stock at the Pod then ill believe that its as quick as a Coupe, until then i know the real answer, no touching of nerves at all just no one sided BS...........

yawn.

I am too bored to go into any more technical explanation, I am going to do my CAD homework which is 1,253,564,473.5 times as exciting as this thread.

yawn.

I am too bored to go into any more technical explanation, I am going to do my CAD homework which is 1,253,564,473.5 times as exciting as this thread.

That bored you just couldnt help but reply :wave:

See ya!

Also 156mph standard.

I'd happily put a standard VR up against that...

I've had my completely standard VR sit at 155 on ze autobahns, but it's all irrelevant as my mum has a bigger willy than all of you so therefore Corrado is bestest.

It does seem like a bit of a silly question to ask on a Corrado forum... you're gonna get some sensible answers but nobody that's bought a Corrado is going to think that a Fiat or 944 is better because they'd own one instead and would be on the Fiat or 944 forums.

^So not true... I own both and I'm still on Corrado forums :lol:

My 944 is just an N/A, and my rado is a G60. I still prefer the styling of the 944 to my C, and it corners way better than my C probably ever will. It's been a lot more reliable than the C but parts for it are a lot more expensive.

I'd put money on any of the following to win in a drag-race:

P4260522.JPG?imgmax=512

Turkish Milk Man

P1010027.JPG?imgmax=640

A slow-growing moss

Eec-Approved-Larger-Electric-Mobility-Scooter-Golf-Cart-Qx-04-10-.jpg

Electric Scooter

boulder_chain_bridge.jpg

Large Boulder

nebraska_barn.jpg

This Barn

tricycle.jpg

Child on Tricycle

romanian%20transport.JPG

Romanian Couple

Midget%20Wrestler%20Fuzzy%20Cupid.jpg

Midget Wrestler

saturn-dragon-storm.jpg

Saturn

800px-Dead_squirrel.jpg

Dead Squirrel

charles_darwin_l.jpg

Evolution

uesc_08_img0459.jpg

Tectonic plates and other geological strata

foetus-20e-semaine.jpg

Development of human embryo from foetus to newborn child

mormon.jpg

Technological advances in Mormonism

steps.jpg

Steps' music career

Budvar_Budejovicky_L.jpg

Average fermentation length of Budejovicky Budvar brewery's Bud Strong

1009987.jpg

Karl Pilkington

img10.png

Molecules along the grain boundary of a phase-transitioning metal

scottish_parliament_edinburgh.jpg

The Scottish Parliament's Official Report of 29th September 2004

DOUG.gif

Doug from Scrubs, and finally...

atomstar_real.jpg

Boson and Fermion quantum particles in ultracold lithium-atom clouds nearing absolute zero.

Have you been drinking boost monkey :) Get back to fixing that corrado!! Oh and whos Karl pilkington :lol: And i used to have a tricycle like that :)

I like some of those ideas... Glad to see the dead squirrel idea made it, and Steps musical career is just genius...

Have you covered dynamic recrystallisation in your materials lectures yet? I did a project on it with Nimonic 901 I think, lots of heating, squashing, polishing, etching, metallurgy etc.