Sign in to follow this  
glen

R32 engine

pmsl :lol: well its definatly something to consider as either way il need a new motor :( .

cheers guys.

Has anyone heard of a r32 lump run on megasquirt?

And whats this about an alfa throttle body to get round the drive by wire?

If you can use the above 2 then that would be the simplest and cheapest conversion - keep your current gearbox and pedal box and just get the custom downpipe from storm, make up a megasquirt loom and board. It sounds almost easy.........

I've just got my standard VR6 running spot on (woop!) so won't be doing this anytime soon but its worth bearing in mind if anything should happen in the future.

Not many [affordable] standalones support DBW, hence the conversion to a cable throttle the same size and bolt pattern as the R32 (e.g Alfa).

On the plus side, cable throttles are nicer imo. More linear and full driver control.

On the minus side, you lose the stepper motor controlled idle control.

Personally I would spend the extra on an ECU that does support DBW and run the engine as VW intended.

Megasquirt is will work so long as you never want sequential injection.

I looked into this a while ago when I was offered a Mk5 R32 lump, Storm Developments have a ''off the shelf'' Emerald they have developed with Dave Walker. Andy at storm said to me just sit it on the mounts (you will need to plumb it in too) get the car to me and leave £1350 and he will do the rest :lol:

I think you will also need an Alfa TB to get around the fly by wire throttle.

If it's a Mk4 R32 engine then it's a bargain, but I'd take what Storm say with a pinch of salt. They're knowledgable guys, but do have a tendancy to exaggerate quite a bit.

If it's a Mk5 R32 engine, they're talking out of their backsides as it's FSI lump and needs a completely different ECU to run it, which doesn't yet exist apart from the factory VAG one.

Thats not so good....

I definatley said a mk5 because Andy was telling me they make better power then the mk4's which is why i was seriously considering it for a while

I don't think the MK5 R32 is FSI. You can get FSI 3.2 and 3.6 Passats though. The FSI 3.2 has more torque at 258lb/ft IIRC, but the non-FSI only has 236lb/ft.

VW just changed the mapping to Audi's more aggressive tune on the MK5.

Doesn't really matter though because any R32 lump in a C is going to be better than a prehistoric 12V :lol:

I don't think the MK5 R32 is FSI. You can get FSI 3.2 and 3.6 Passats though. The FSI 3.2 has more torque at 258lb/ft IIRC, but the non-FSI only has 236lb/ft.

VW just changed the mapping to Audi's more aggressive tune on the MK5.

Doesn't really matter though because any R32 lump in a C is going to be better than a prehistoric 12V :lol:

what does make things more difficult though is the fact that they changed the angle of the vee (from 15-10 degrees i think) between the mk4 and mk5, meaning that the mk5 is a slightly taller engine and you will have trouble getting bonnet clearance. then if you lower the engine by modifying the mounts the sump will sit fairly low and you will need to be careful of clearance issues there to the tarmac.

i had heard that the mk5 r32 did have fsi, but if kev has heard otherwise then i don't know what to suggest.

i think it's easier to make the mk4 lump fit, but i'm sure either could be done if you get inventive enough :)

As far as I was aware, the MK4 and MK5 have the same engine, but the MK5 gets the revised engine and Haldex ECUs by default. The MK4 was offered the later engine ECU by VW to cure some running problems, but it boosted the power to 246hp at the same time :-)

I did some webbing earlier on the subject and found a thread on the Vortex suggesting that Euro passats got FSI 3.2 and 3.6 engines, both with the 10.6 degree bore seperation, but the MK5 R32 got the same non-FSI engine as the MK4.

On VW's official website, FSI is not mentioned on the R32, but it is on the other cars that do have it.

I could be wrong, but it keeps the thread going a bit longer as it's an interesting one :lol:

Some German bloke popped a thread on there to say that only Longitunally mounted engines got the V6 FSI. Golf is transversely mounted and thusly didn't get FSI. Something to do with the Spandex aswell, rah rah rah.....

So it does indeed look like MK5 owners were shortchanged with old engine technology :lol:

Hmm interesting stuff.

My information was that the 3.6 is narrower angle, FSI the same as the 3.2 but bored out and had been told the Mk5 R32 was FSI.

Could well be wrong though.

I seriously doubt whether they would have done an FSI version of the old wider-angle VR, so any FSI ones are likely to be narrow angle (and thus no chance of fitting it or running it) and any wider-angle VRs will fit and probably aren't running FSI.

Fun fun :lol:

if anyone has got a recent version of etka - surely they could confirm about the mk5 block - that would be an easy way to tell for sure, if it is indeed the same as the mk4 r32 block...

thinking about it - a more definite way would be to look at the part numbers for the injectors between the mk4/mk5 - surely those are different for FSI/non-FSI variants...

thinking about it - a more definite way would be to look at the part numbers for the injectors between the mk4/mk5 - surely those are different for FSI/non-FSI variants...

etka part number is 022 133 317 M for the BUB engine and is termed as the fuel distributor.

I can't see how it attaches to the engine but to me it looks like a standard fuel rail that would attach to the intake manni?!

I can't find any references on the net to the fact that the r32 mk5 is fsi tbh.

Hmm really should go and do some work now..

Me too, but this is more fun 8)

There should be a well paid career in talking on the CF all day and researching things like this :lol:

Me too, but this is more fun 8)

There should be a well paid career in talking on the CF all day and researching things like this :lol:

I'm going to have to get a code of CF for my time sheet.

8)

not far at all :( but will be finally be making my mind up which standalone ECU i'm going to go for by then end of next week :)

karl

nice to actually see an r32 engine in a corrado, what managment you using?? and how long you been doing your conversion??

karl

nice to actually see an r32 engine in a corrado, what managment you using?? and how long you been doing your conversion??

karl

I'm not just been doing it myself as I don't have a garage :( but it's been going on since December!! It's really been a time thing, and I've been getting all new brakes, brake lines, bolts, lights and everything has been powder coated etc so it will take some time as funds slowly come in. But I'm getting married mid July and we're going around France in the C for our honeymoon so it has to be done before that!!!

I'm using stock management, and trying to keep everything the engine requires (eg air pump) if space permits. I've kept it stock because at a later date i might want to add a DSG gearbox/4wd, for which you need the VAG ECU as they all talk to each other to make it run properly. Also it saves me £1000 ish !! It's really not a difficult install physically, but if your unsure about the wiring ask VAG doctor to do it for you or to make a loom up for you, £300ish I think, he can also delete ECU Immobilizer functions etc.

Keep it all posted though, I must start my own thread soon!!

Kipvr - Sounds like a great project to get involved in to me mate. :notworthy: . Be good to see you get pics/gallery etc up for progress.

R32 is certainly the sort of thing id like to do when i feel like going further and think by doing it all slow and gathering parts is all part of the fun/interest as long as u have the patience :lol: . Plus will limit mistakes.

Yeah, I had to get another car because of the time it's taking, a 1.0 Seat Arosa, which I think is ace because it's so cheap, £118 for a cam belt change!!!

The R32 engines seem to go for about a grand still, plus another couple of hundred quid for the gearbox if you so want.

As engine conversions go, it is pretty straight forward, but it's not just going to cost you that much to do the swap. For a start you then need another £700+ for an after market ECU, custom gearbox mount, custom driveshafts, gearbox modification parts to make the 'box 2WD, custom downpipe, custom loom and it soon adds up.

I priced up doing an R32 conversion on mine with the 6-speed 02M box, running on Emerald with a Storm Development exhaust manifold (£300ish I think) and the total for just the parts came to £5,000.

I paid £2k for all my r32 parts inc gearbox,exhaust,prop & 4wd set up,Ive done 30 miles in it since last year,might be tempted to sell ?