Sign in to follow this  
andy35554

vr6 engine rebuild cost and bits needed??

I have a 95 vr6, 130k on the clock

It has original timing chain and clutch

Tappets are noisy

small oil leaks of rocker gasket

Suspect head gasket failing due to mayo on the oil filler cap, tho not present all the time, coolant requires top up due to losing it into engine possibly

Performance and mpg seem crap too....

I wish to rebuild the engine so need advise on who to use and what to get done. I am in the northwest.

If it costs too much i have a mechanic friend who i could use to do the work for a nominal cash fee....so what bits will i need?

Can someone give a ballpark figure on a garage to do the work, and a good garage, but also cost of parts for a friend to do

Any advise please

many thanks

andy

If you're talking head rebuild, clutch and chains its about a grand for the relevant new bits,(VW) then obviously whatever labour costs you might incur with your mechanic friend. If you mean bottom end work as well then your looking at a fair bit more money.

If you're talking head rebuild, clutch and chains its about a grand for the relevant new bits,(VW) then obviously whatever labour costs you might incur with your mechanic friend. If you mean bottom end work as well then your looking at a fair bit more money.

Sorry, im not really mechanically minded, being electrical background, so the car has a few subtle electrical mods leds etc...

I have constant click although its quite quiet when its warm

Sounds rough when cold but it starts first time, no blue smoke.

Hardly uses any oil really, an occasional top up

Coolant system has no leaks but im losing it into the block maybe due to mayo on the oil filler cap. The sump gasket/rocker gasket or somewhere else is leaking and leaving a stain on my drive. I reckon i get about 20mpg, though a lot of town driving and short runs.

What determines the need for a top end versus a bottom end/complete rebuild

The engine drives ok, just feels a little tired, friends have mentioned valve seats, oil seals, piston rings etc, can these be done on a top end rebuild?

cheers

Stealth racing do chains, tensioners, clutch and full head rebuild for about £1300. Thats what id go for if you bottom end is sound. The clicking could be your tappets.

Thanks Ben, I have no reason to suspect bottom end problems although im not sure what to look for down there!!

I am between liverpool and manchester so ideally would want the work doing up here

I have constant click although its quite quiet when its warm

Sounds rough when cold but it starts first time, no blue smoke.

Hardly uses any oil really, an occasional top up

Coolant system has no leaks but im losing it into the block maybe due to mayo on the oil filler cap. The sump gasket/rocker gasket or somewhere else is leaking and leaving a stain on my drive. I reckon i get about 20mpg, though a lot of town driving and short runs.

What determines the need for a top end versus a bottom end/complete rebuild

The engine drives ok, just feels a little tired, friends have mentioned valve seats, oil seals, piston rings etc, can these be done on a top end rebuild?

cheers

The economy is probably not that far off the mark for a lot of town driving and short runs, you only really get into the thirties on a good (>10 mile) run. If you're not using oil and not getting smokey then the bottom end is probably ok. A top end overhall can really bring the VR back to life, however you may not even need that. You can lose water in the oil cooler, this would give you mayo, (also another symptom of short runs btw). Whats the general servicing state, hows the plugs, leads, oil, air filter etc, have you done a fault code scan.

andy, might have a look at the oil cooler issue, the reason i was thinkin of a top end rebuild was the timing chain has never been done and its major job to do and its done £130000 miles, also it is lumpy and sounds rough when cold, tappets i suspect, i would really like some unbiased opinion on the engine, ie not from a mechanic who is after my wallet.

Servicing wise im ok, oil filter is k&n recently cleaned, oil and filter done every 3-5k, plugs about 12 months old and the ht leads 6 month old.

fault code scan.... something i managed to get to work on a works laptop once a few years but failed with my own laptop, recenty tried to reinstall with no success. A scan would be good.

Any offers around the nw would be appreciated

Still need the oil leaks sorting, tarmac driveway doesnt like engine oil!

I'll happily scan it for you, but I need to get my lead back off a mate who I lent it to first. Where abouts are you? I live near Preston and work based near Newton-le-Willows, but work mobile so usually around the Manchester area or N-l-W somewhere.

Reggit, thats brilliant thanks, im not to far from warrington. Let me know when you have the lead back and i will meet you somewhere

cheers

andy

ps still after a recomendation for nw garage to do engine work. Was also chatting to work mate, says i should get a "rollong road before and after" - local garage to me sold his rolling road unit to someone up preston way!

I'd look at buying parts from the US, timing chain tensioners kit is around $155 from four season tuning.

dont think the "dumb" interface off ebay is working, serial type, but im not sure what version of ross tech to use on my pc... seems to work one minute and not the other so i think i will take up any offers around the cheshire or surrounding areas for help in diagnosing any problems

I haven't forgot you, I'm supposed to get my lead back on Tuesday night if mate remembers to bring it. If you ain't sorted it by then send me a PM and I'll look at it for you.