Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

VR not running quite right- 00533 fault code

For as long as I can remember, my VR hasn't been quite right :? When dipping the clutch in 1st gear, there is sometimes a noticeable vibration, and the revs drop quickly. It has only ever stalled once. It's not terrible, just a little annoying! I also get what may be 'driveline shunt', when changing gear quickly, but not sure if it's related. I'll be changing the brake fluid (bleeding system?clutch etc) which hasn't been done for 5 years in case that's causing the shunting.

I keep getting the following fault code: 00533 idle air control reg adapt range below minimal level

I've changed the dashpot, which was no longer damping properly, but no change. CrazyDave also readjusted my throttle correctly and we drove it with VAGCOM connected- everything seemed to be OK, apart from the fault code.

I have checked all the intake/ISV pipework for leaks and also used a working alternative ISV and MAF, but no different. I'm currently running the standard airbox instead of the BMC. Initially it felt better, but after driving more, it's just the same (just a lot quieter!).

Car is standard apart from decat, BMC CDA & low temp stat.

Any ideas, guys? :?

Well .. it's either going to be the MAF, the ISV or the lambda, since that's the holy triumvirate that controls idle fuelling.

My money is on the MAF, even though you've tried two and they were both the same..

Grrrr! Got a feeling it's prob the MAF too, but it ran the same on the working one :? Really frustrating.

Yours is a late VR? four-wire MAF? There's lots of dodgy MAFs out there, but that aren't dodgy enough to cause major problems.. Mine was running just fine for years, smooth and powerful, but with mpg down by just a few points.. turned out to be the MAF - swapped it and I instantly gained 3-4 mpg..

I guess it probably is the same...

Could the low temp stat cause any probs? I know it will be on the cold start map most of the time, as it rarely gets over 70C. This will obviously reduce fuel consumption slightly, but could it have any other negative effects?

Would it be worth taking the car through basic settings?

That error means the idle valve isn't operating within it's normal range.

Try giving the idle valve a good soak in petrol or carb cleaner, then an oil with maintenance spray. I like GT85 (Halfords sell it) as it's PTFE based. Then pull the ECU plug, reconnect and start the car. Let it idle up to temperature and it'll build a full cold and hot idle adaptation table. After 5 mins, rev it up and down several times, then take for a 20 min drive.

If it's still the same after that, I'd guess the ISV is shot. Lambda and MAF related issues usually generate "lambda control limit surpassed" type errors so I think they're OK.

Basic settings doesn't do anything on OBD1 as there's nothing to 'set' as such.

I don't like the 70 degree thermostats personally but I don't think that's your problem 8)

Thanks, Kev. Have cleaned, lubed and swapped the ISV several times, but not done the ecu procedure. Will give it a go today...

It was worse last night and actually stalled properly for only the second time :(

Right, did the ECU, and no change. Also tried a different MAF, and still no change. I'll try a known working ISV next. I've tried 1 alternative one already, but it was used, so could be duff.

Have the same code on my mk2 VR6 running OBD II, 268 cams and a 6lb alloy flywheel...

I have also a maf short to ground code and a lambda code too, which I guess doesn't help. :nono:

Lambda voltage doesn't change so I guess that's kaput.

From ross-tech...

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation: Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded

Possible Symptoms

* Bad Fuel Economy ...duh, it's a VR6!

Possible Causes

* Air Leak between Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor and Engine I get a whistle on part throttle on the motorway?.... poss inlet mani gasket leak??

* Injector(s) faulty

* Fuel Pressure Regulator faulty

* Throttle Body faulty

* Intake Air Filter dirty

Possible Solutions

* Perform Throttle Body Adaptation - not done that

* Check Hoses and Pipes to/between Components

* Check Intake Air Filter it's under the wing,so it could be dirty...

* Check Fuel Pressure Regulator replaced with a 3.8bar fuel reg (new) from Vauxhall... very cheap...)

* Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve ain't got one

* Check Injector(s)

I can't hear any air leaks on idle , but not sprayed anything around the intake to test,yet.

Right, did the ECU, and no change. Also tried a different MAF, and still no change. I'll try a known working ISV next. I've tried 1 alternative one already, but it was used, so could be duff.

Cazza you could do the independant tests for parts before trying them on your car (i.e. measuring resistance across a connecter etc etc) to check they're good?

Sorry to hear you still have the problems though, don't know enough about the Reihen to offer any help.

btw, I still have your Erwins, lemme know if you want them back sometime :wink:

Should have posted a while ago- mine is fine now. Changed the ISV again. Nice and smooth with no stalling.

On a further note for this.... I had the same problem, Cleaned out the ISV, Slightly better. Checked all pipes, all good except for a massive leak coming from the pipe between the bottom of the throttle and the MAF housing! Turns out, it wasn't too well routed and was sat on top of the exhaust manifold!! Fixed the pipe and re-routed and all is tickity boo!!

Sorted mine, the lambda sensor plug (loom side) had been replaced at some point and had a load of bad solders, fixed those and never had the code come back - fuel economy greatly improved, well as good as a VR6 can be, eh :clap: