Sign in to follow this  
easypops

battery light on

Hi all, My battery light came on this morning.....and stayed on.....I had a quick look under the bonnet at the alternator and all seemed well....came in and did a search......looked like the alternator bushes/voltage regulator....tested the voltage at the battery and it was 11.30v which is too low......should be 13.5-14v .......so off to gsf and got a replacement.....£11ish.....got home and fitted it.....(after undoing stuck screw :lol: ) .....started the car up and the light is still on :(

Is this likely to be time for a new alternator or battery? ......or could it be something else?

thanks in advance

Almost certainly the alternator itself. One of the windings has probably failed.

ok time for another new part :lol: ......would it still be ok to drive until i get one or do i risk running out of power and engine stopping? :D

cheers for the answer doc

sounds like the alternator mate, had the same thing happen to me.Id change it pretty sharpish, it managed to drain my battery in about 5 hours. is it hot when you touch it?

The second one!

Depends on how far you want to drive and with what electrical loads on - you could get away for a short while by charging the battery overnight and using it if not going too far, but when the battery gets too low, you'll be pushing the car home.

ok guys.....i'll not be driving it i dont think.....pedaling to work for me this week.....lucky the weather is so nice.....NOT :lol:

where is best/cheapest for a new alternator then?

or is it a scrappy job?

can i use one from a mk3 golf gti etc?

cheers

what engine is it? if its a 16v you can use a mk2 golf gti one , dunno about other models. Most of the places i know sell them on an exchange basis and roughly 80 quid of your hard earned wonga

GSF do genuine Bosch units on exchange, can't really go wrong with those.

mmmm i called them and they said they only sell them new at £89+vat and there is only one in stock at the Heathrow branch.....so i told him i would maybe get back to him

try places like euro car parts, or volks spares.cant gsf send it to you? theres always the famous auction site too

well its now removed and i'm handing it in to a company called euro alternators tomorrow......the guy at the garage i use said a refurb might be poss.....i'll find out tomorrow hopefully