Sign in to follow this  
barryarginnraddo

bump strip removal

Hi i have seen a number of bump strip-less raddo's whilst browsing the net, trying to find inspiration of how to make my super low budget beast look better, and cleaner.

are these bump strips drilled / riveted on to the pannels or are they just stuck? my car is an m reg 2.0 16v.

any sugestions appreciated

Ollie

Hi mate, you'll find that alot of subjects have been covered before if you use the search - there's masses of information on here :)

Bumpstrips are just stuck on so usually come off fairly easily with a bit of heat (perhaps a hairdryer) and a scraper. Get some tar and glue remover for getting the residue thats left off. Beware though, alot of rados have had paint and removing the bumpstrips can reveal hidden nasties.

i poured a kettle of boiling water over mine and they came off in one hit,not any glue left!! :clap:

welcome welcome :D

i took mine off with plenty of heat to melt the adhesive (used a hair dryer). Start from one end, heat a bit then gently pull back (may need something like a plastic scraper just to get it going or maybe something like a cheese wire) then heat the next section and pull etc etc. just go slowly.

Then clean the glue residue off, lots of products out there. Give it a polish and hey looks loads better!!!

as said above though, the strip could hide a join line if your car has had bits of paint in the past....

I like the bump strips.. am I the only one?

Nope me and kip love them on ours too :luvlove:

Im leaving mine on aswel. They break up the colour as my cars white with black alloys

You can get most of them new from VW but not all of them. They're also scarily expensive.

As they do just stick on, you can get some trim-tape from Halfords and re-attach them. They tend to curl up a bit when you pull them off though, so could be a bit tricky.

You can get most of them new from VW but not all of them. They're also scarily expensive.

As they do just stick on, you can get some trim-tape from Halfords and re-attach them. They tend to curl up a bit when you pull them off though, so could be a bit tricky.

I need to stick one whole side of my cars bump strips back on, Does this tape from halfords have to be some really strong stuff? Is it slightly padded or is it like stelotape thin?

Thanks for your help.

If your trims went all curvey when you removed them, leave them on top of something flat on top of a hot radiator and they will relax back to normal.

The halfords double sided foam tape (with the green backing) or 3M double sided trim tape are ideal for the side trims.

I have never understood why bodyshops paint around the side trims, it takes twice as much effort to mask them off and paint around them than it takes to remove them.

I took mine off in the end, much smoother look!

Yeah i tried that, but for some reason the last person GLUED them on so some paint has come off, so i want to put them back on.

Im torn between taking them off and leaving them on. I love the look of the car more when the trim has been taken off. But i couldnt park the car in a car park and relax. I know they wont ALWAYS protect from idiots knocking their door onto mine. But im sure they've stopped some twit denting the car on some occassions.

what would anybody recommend to remove the sticky residue left behind after i took off the bump strips?

id prefer to use something that has worked for you guys rater than mess up the paint

Im torn between taking them off and leaving them on. I love the look of the car more when the trim has been taken off. But i couldnt park the car in a car park and relax. I know they wont ALWAYS protect from idiots knocking their door onto mine. But im sure they've stopped some twit denting the car on some occassions.

only problem is, that as soon as you lower your corrado (not sure if you have or not, i have) you then move the bump strip lower to the ground so if someone is going to open their door inot your car, they'll hit the ridge of the door, not the strip!

i agree with -Neil-. iv got a fiat which im running around in at the moment and all the dents on the doors are above where the bump strips are on the corrado are anyway. as the car is so low i dont think the bumpstrips help that much.

just park in plenty of space and walk a little further