Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

vsr manifold and remap

hi all, ive been looking on here and found alot of info on the subject of the vsr manifold, alot of the posts comment about rechipping/remapping when fitting the vsr,

WHAT MY QUESION IS IS!

should i wait until i get my hands on one ( might have abit of a wait tho :D ) before i remap my car? or doesnt it matter which way round u do it, the reason im asking is i was thinking of getting my car remapped but dont really want to pay out for a second remap after fitting the vsr if you see what i mean.

next question

what would the remap do+ what power output could i expect to gain? can you tell the differents? is the a big differents in mpg,

next question

where is the best place to go for a remap

many thanks

Chris L

yes, you should wait, there's very little point remapping a standard car afaik.. and at £400+ first time round you only want to do it once.

as far as where to go, then stealth is the most recommended place but then its a fair trip from you. that said, who knows where you'll travel to to find your manifold, and, a lot of the main shows are in the middle of the country so could be easy to tie in visiting one of them with dropping it in for the map..??

Wait. The whole point of a remap is to make the ECU more closely match the character of the engine, so it seems a bit pointless to map it to your standard engine then go change the entire midrange airflow by slapping a VSR on it!

That's rather like painting your walls when you haven't decided what colour curtains to buy yet ...

That's rather like painting your walls when you haven't decided what colour curtains to buy yet ...

Buy curtains to match the colour of the painted walls, sorted :p

sorry,

probably didnt explain myself about what i meant. i dont know much about remapping. see i thought it was a case of taking the old standard chip out and putting in a new one, but i guess what your saying is that there are alot of different chips out there to cater for different things.

cheers for the info

chris

sorry,

i dont know much about remapping. see i thought it was a case of taking the old standard chip out and putting in a new one, but i guess what your saying is that there are alot of different chips out there to cater for different things.

Ok, that's different, that's not really remapping, that's just switching to another pre-written map.

Actually the point of remapping is to have a map written specifically for YOUR car, which means a one-off custom job, and therefore should be tuned to your engine in it's final form. Some modifications you can get away with without bothering to change the map, such as exhausts and induction kits, but a significant change to the engine's airflow like adding a VSR/VGI tends to require a proper ECU remap to work at it's best.

ah right got ya! thanks for explaining that, you see i throught that it was a generic chip put in and thats it!!!!! i throught that the ECU would do the rest i.e learn new parameters, foR example an increase in air flow, would adjust the fuel to suit.

thanks for taking the time to explaining it to me

cheers

Chris L

I've had my VSR manifold on for a couple of years without a remap......I've just not managed to get round to it.....I'm sure that there will be an improvement when I get round to it.

The ECU will adapt the curve up or down slightly to suit the minor differences between all engines - that's true - but the basic torque curve's *shape* is fixed, it'll only really adapt up and down a little bit.

Adding something like the VSR/VGI results in a BIG change to the shape of the torque curve, and although many cars can actually run it without a remap you will find it's running rather lean where the VSR is making most impact and it'll likely be pinking and therefore pulling the ignition timing right back to compensate - i.e. you just won't get the best out of it.

The only way to adjust the shape of torque curve that the ECU is designed for is to remap it.

Thread hijack maybe.

I've got a VGI and 268s fitted and although when I bought the cams they came with two different remapped (by Stealth) chips I've never actually fitted one as I needed to get a socket soldered into the ECU to allow swapping them about. Now I've bought everything for an OBD2 install so guess I'll never have the OBD1 mapped. Does anyone know if ODB2 will need remapping to suit the inlet and cams or is it just suck it and see, as I read somewhere that there's less to be gained with the later system?

I've got a VGI and 268s fitted and although when I bought the cams they came with two different remapped (by Stealth) chips I've never actually fitted one as I needed to get a socket soldered into the ECU to allow swapping them about. Now I've bought everything for an OBD2 install so guess I'll never have the OBD1 mapped. Does anyone know if ODB2 will need remapping to suit the inlet and cams or is it just suck it and see, as I read somewhere that there's less to be gained with the later system?

Inlet AND cams alters the torque curve again, and in fact what you get from that combination is closer to the torque curve of the standard car (albeit with higher output across the range) than when using the inlet with standard cams where there is a noticeable peak in the middle of the range.

You are more likely to be able to get inlet+cams to work properly without a remap than with just the inlet alone..