Sign in to follow this  
bruny

Restoration project K931 RBV

nice work bruny, the gear box turned out ok i like the vw stamp on the bottom of the box,was that only on vr6's. I better get cleaning for stanford its a lot harder when the engines in the car and a trolley jack,I dont think ill get the damage done by then and still waiting to get the wheels refurbed at lepsons.

That stamp is the bushing holding plate at the bottom of one of the shifters and is on all VW boxes I believe.

Nice work you're getting done there. Really impressed! Found a ZAU instruction book, got the blob marker mounted and put a few bags through her now. Hopefully won't be too stripey round our way. :)

Seriously impressive work you're doing there, I'm hoping mine will look like that underneath one day, but I don't think that day will come very soon :(

That 3M stuff is just what i'm looking for for a different project though, does it have a part number or official name or anything? Where can I get it from?

Seriously impressive work you're doing there, I'm hoping mine will look like that underneath one day, but I don't think that day will come very soon :(

That 3M stuff is just what i'm looking for for a different project though, does it have a part number or official name or anything? Where can I get it from?

Echo that. Would be interested in the 3m stuff as well.

Thanks for the comments guys, have painted up today, will post photos tomorrow when its gone off enough to lift up on the jacking points again, looks seriously white now :shock:

The 3m can be bought from most motor factors, I got it from Partic, £16 for a bag but it doesn't go very far, the catch is they want £60 for the applicator gun which attaches to the nozzle on the bag. I borrowed one from my local body shop but it seem to leave a different finish to the VW finish, I reckon you could apply by hand then blow an air line over it to get a similar finish. I'm having to work it out as I go [being a complete amatuer], I am going to try rounding the spikey finish off tomorrow then another top coat of alpine white 8)

Drewie, see you there mate, I will be happy to be 1 point behind you again [if I dont get penalty points this year :( ]

Toad, if you 've been spreading tillage in the winds we've had this week you will have stripes. Hope you found the team at Amazon helpful!DSCN1279.JPG[/attachment:25k36ofx]

Not a brill piccy but this is the before shot, in black Hammerite, will need sunglasses for tomrrows shot :lol:

Sweet ride!.......very nice project.

Soon starting to do much the same with mine, maybe not to that extent, but changing out all parts in the suspension, break system etc etc + chain and general "wear" parts around the engine.

Good to see there still have been time for a GUINNESS!...:) (I know I will need a few of them along the way....lol...;) )

Hi Mawrick,

thanks for the tips on the radio.

On the rebuild side of things once you start its so hard not to carry on cos everything you tidy up makes something else stand out like a sore thumb, you end up doing everything, resulting in a nearly new car that you dare not take out if its raining and no funds for the Guinness on the rare occasion when you get to the pub. My advice would be just dont start the project, drink the Guinness instead :nuts:

Toad, if you 've been spreading tillage in the winds we've had this week you will have stripes. Hope you found the team at Amazon helpful!

Nah, just a bit of nitrogen on the grass, wasn't too windy here when we attacked it. Ground is getting a little bit hard for chain harrowing and rolling though... Hopefully we'll get a decent bit of rain this week, got a fair bit of sh1t to wash into the soil.

Quite interested in the 3M stuff too... Kip - want to go halves on an applicator gun? :)

Hi Mawrick,

thanks for the tips on the radio.

On the rebuild side of things once you start its so hard not to carry on cos everything you tidy up makes something else stand out like a sore thumb, you end up doing everything, resulting in a nearly new car that you dare not take out if its raining and no funds for the Guinness on the rare occasion when you get to the pub. My advice would be just dont start the project, drink the Guinness instead :nuts:

haha, naaa, the project is already started, no way back now....:) (quite a bit of parts already ordered and in house), and last summer I went to Stockholm - Sweden and drove this car roughly 1000 Km (roughly 621 miles) back to Bergen - Norway)...:)

it's been sitting in a garage over the winter, and I'm just starting to get my "workshop" area ready (in an old barn or whatever one would call it)...;)

haven't even paid the huge Norwegian taxes on it yet, but want to have it all ready for the road before paying the taxes (gona be a summer car, due to all the salting going on during wintertime here in Norway)....;)

I'm sure I'l be able to set of a few quids for the Guinness once in a while though....lol....;)

As promised, think I need to take it out and get it mucky, its a little bit bright 8) 8)

again 124.JPG[/attachment:3innlymd]

I'd be happy to eat my dinner off that Dave :) Looks fantastic :clap:

What exhaust have you got on? - looks like a non-standard stainless - that'll lose you points at Stanford :)

I'd be happy to eat my dinner off that Dave :) Looks fantastic :clap:

What exhaust have you got on? - looks like a non-standard stainless - that'll lose you points at Stanford :)

:lol: Will lose points for exhaust, braided hoses, ht leads, battery terminals and shiney nuts :shock: got to give the judges something to do though :wave:

001.JPG[/attachment:j2rrrydo]

3M bag [got messy cos I puntured the bag to apply a little by hand] and the applicator nozzle which attaches to the bag

Would like to think I've finished now [thats asking for trouble] just need to nurture and protect it :luvlove:

Thought I ought to update this thread now I have my engine back 'AGAIN'

I had the unit stripped right down again because of faults which became all too obvious when trying to set it up after the first install. According to the Trade and Supply of goods Act and against my own judgement I had to allow the rebuilders to put it right. I left the Bentley manual with them for the settings this time.

In fairness it turns over by hand alot easier than it did last time, however I haven't fired it up as yet as there are still some minor issues that need sorting before installing and firing up.

Whilst waiting for my re-rebuilt lump to be returned [36 days] I have done a little more sand blasting and tidying

andbead blast 001.JPG[/attachment:7dqxpgso]

Just need to change the two oilseals on the input shaft before bolting the gearbox back onlatest rebuild 006.JPG[/attachment:vjyso6le]

Hope all the issues are sorted out this time mate. Really looking forward to seeing the finished article :)

That looks absolutely stunning!

How do you get the front plug lead cover off the upper inlet manifold? I'd like to give mine a proper clean up when I come to put it back together, and I'm a little bit ham fisted. :lol:

Thanks Jim, its been a nightmare. I think the moral of the story is leave well alone or do it yourself! :bad-words:

Toad, if you mean the plastic guide rail it simply slides off sideways to the right after removing the end section. Thanks for the comments, sand blast and WD 40!

Thanks Jim, its been a nightmare. I think the moral of the story is leave well alone or do it yourself! :bad-words:

Indeed... I don't like letting anyone fiddle with my cars...

hey pal, your engine is looking absolutely spanking - really hope it's all sorted for you this time.

will hopefully have all those bits sorted for you before long - got all the switches etc, just waiting to get the other bits out now.

keep us updated pal - not long to go now :)

superb work!

Can i ask whether you found a vr staninless steel bolt kit anywhere - or did you build a spec and order? details like that are great :)