Sign in to follow this  
G Charged

Ravis G60 rebuild diary,REBUILT ENGINE WERKS!! 28.04.08 YEH!

Havent posted much on the site, been runnin around like mad for last couple months, new to the vw scene, so anyone please correct me if theres a better way of doing anything i am

Heres my G60 which i bought last year, had a crank bolt go on me, so i decided to whip the engine out and do a proper job

sorry about the pics, i never did take a good pic of it

image744copyno5.jpg

image746my3.jpg

have to say, this car is a little quicker then i thought...because of the torque you just dont feel the pace or something...but it seemed to keep up with suposidly faster cars :clap:

then the dreaded crank bolt went, soooooo, here follow the progress pics, and a list of whats been done:

Block stripped down cleaned &honed

Block Painted chevy orange

Brand new big end and main bearings

New bolts all round

new Mahle piston rings

pistons cleaned up

new oil seals

Brackets, mounts, inlet manifold etc painted Volvo dark grey

Crank reground and balanced

Lightend flywheel(not my massive amounts, dindt want it too jerky)

Sns stage 5 chip

68mm pulley

cylinder head cleaned and casting imperfections removed

Head polished with wire brush all round and clear coated on front face

Rebuilt Head

New Metal Head gasket(new head bolts obv)

New sump as the old one was dented

Mk3 tdi windage tray

Oil pump was stripped and measured, was spot on!

New water pump

G-Lader which was sent to PSD for rebuild (and then to G-werks to be repaired..)

G-werks pressure line

G-werks front engine mount....lifetime garuntee...cant argue with that...i was gona order a vibratechnics one, guys recomended this and it was cheaper.

Brand new Vr6 clutch baby

Polished rocker cover

Golf G60 intercooler

Golf Rallye outlet

some NTC Silicon boost hoses, will replace all when funds allow

Repaired injector loom (using Volvo plugs:p)

Vw Gates cambelt kit + pas belt

Dayco aux belt..think i need a shorter one still, im using a 1640 with a 68mm pulley

Setrab oil cooler, mounted behind the grille removing one of the horns

mocal sanwich plate

Bits waiting to go on:

OPtima Red top battery

Variable voltage regulator

Future plans/purchases

exhaust manifold...the casting on the vw one is terrible!!!!!!....but im not sure if i can justify spending the money on a manifold yet...i may take it apart at a later date, nice ported head and a mild cam, and then decide manifold

Hid Kit...as the standard corrado lights are shockingly bad!

coilovers!

or anything you guys recomend...im trying not to just bodge this together, if a jobs got to be done, its got to be done proper as this is going to replace my GSI as a daily driver, and then i can concentrate with my chevette project, lol

anyway, as promised, progress pics

G-lader etc out, i dindt get a pic before i started

dsc02059vg7.jpg

Almost ready to come out

dsc02069yc1.jpg

...half of her missing :(

...and does anyone know how that pipe which i found ziptied to the engine mount is suposed to run?

dsc02074yj3.jpg

hywel and phoenix, always time for a bit of childish humour :tongue:

dsc02075pq4.jpg

working late into the night as you do, but its ok, cos shes nearly out!!!!

dsc02077le8.jpg

obligtory silly pose, engines out, bought a tear to my eye...or was that oil and grit :confused4:

dsc02080mediumha1.jpg

dsc02080mediumha1.2defdcb503.jpg

...now im not no professional..but i think my problem is im missing a battery...

dsc02083kz8.jpg

dsc02083kz8.36a79f70bf.jpg

car bak outside, mmm euro rear lights

dsc02090mediumqn6.jpg

dsc02090mediumqn6.fc22a7f04c.jpg

christining the new engine stand with some quality german engineering

dsc02092mg9.jpg

dsc02092mg9.139f58cd97.jpg

NOw arrange everything neatly, and label

dsc02115qy0.jpg

dsc02115qy0.a1fa418daf.jpg

steam cleaning is fun, lol, no special effects here, engine was also gunked aswel

dsc02124et5.jpg

dsc02125cz1.jpg

result one clean engine block(no flash)

dsc02132bn3.jpg

which then got transformed into this, YOU KNOW WHEN YOUVE BEEN TANGOED!, chevy orange painted PG block

dsc02135hl2.jpg

dsc02135hl2.1ef2da573b.jpg

bottom end built up, sump on, engine shrink wrapped at all times unless work is being done

dsc02171ba9.jpg

dsc02171ba9.6856cc957d.jpg

sneaky peak of my mate pods engine, williams engine to go into his 340r

dsc02172ud0.jpg

wil keep updating this, sooo what do the corrado massiv think?

Good work dude :thumbleft:

As far as the pipe that is cable-tied to the engine mount, that should go through the front panel. Where you've got to holes in the panel, there should be a D shaped pipe that is bolted to it, as you can see in the following piccie....

DSC02259.jpg

christining the new engine stand with some quality german engineering

dsc02092mg9.jpg

dsc02092mg9.139f58cd97.jpg

wil keep updating this, sooo what do the corrado massiv think?

Looks QUALITY mate! Good effort.

Can you please please PLEASE tell me which bolts you used for your engine stand and where to get them? I've asked this lot a couple of times already and no-one knows! :shrug:

Cheers :thumb right:

Good work dude :thumbleft:

As far as the pipe that is cable-tied to the engine mount, that should go through the front panel. Where you've got to holes in the panel, there should be a D shaped pipe that is bolted to it, as you can see in the following piccie....

cheers stu!, hmm..i think i'll have to fabricate some mounts as i welded over the holes and run the pipe in a similar fashion to how it was... finding a decent rad support panel seems near impossible!...any reason why that pipe runs out the front???

Can you please please PLEASE tell me which bolts you used for your engine stand and where to get them? I've asked this lot a couple of times already and no-one knows! :shrug:

i got the bolts from a engineering place...ill have a look for you tommorow

I'm pretty sure its to provide some cooling effect on the power steering fluid, but not overly sure why its necessary :shrug:

Im sure i have just been reading this on Dubforce with the colour of your block, its the Corrado track day toy isnt it.

i got the bolts from a engineering place...ill have a look for you tommorow[/quote:19tx1rul]

Legend! Cheers matey, you'll fit in well here :clap:

Im sure i have just been reading this on Dubforce with the colour of your block, its the Corrado track day toy isnt it.

no...sumone else has a orange engined corradoo!, nooo

mines suposed to be a daily driver

boost monkey, i got 4 spare, if you send me a pre-addressed jiffy bag ill post em bak to you if you want

I think mine are the bolts used to secure the bellhousing of a vw golf to the engine.

Which I got funnily enough when i removed a bellhousing from an engine.

I would imagine you could order some from gsf or somehwere?!!?!!

i found the box to block bolts were too short for my stand, so i got some identical thread bolts but longer

junkie, yeh i signed up with dubforce just to see this other engine!

its true though, the pics dont show the true colour, its actually preeeetyy damn orange, lol

cheers bally, you like the orange? :salute:

i seen your car on here, niiicee, its mint, lovely colour and a perfect ride height :tongue:

cheers bally, you like the orange? :salute:

i seen your car on here, niiicee, its mint, lovely colour and a perfect ride height :tongue:

Orange is mad... :D

thanks bro... its been a long project.... had it painted couple years ago.. rims etc are being changed... glad you like it..

whats the plans with yrs apart from the khalsa coloured bay :grin:

its going to be my daily driver basicaly, coilies will be coming, and probbaly a set of borbet a or kerscher carmona..not sure when as im a student and i already have 3 cars...i love my audio so.. one of my amps is 2500rms...mite see how difficult it is to fibreglass some 6.5" pods for the doorcard.., few pther bits n pieces, but i dont want people copying me so im not saying everything yet :tongue:

...and all this is dependent on if it actuall yruns when its back on the road lmao

been polishing the rocker cover yday, looks pretty good if i do say so myself, beats paying £80 to buy one already done, im going to do the alternator today...and then set about, getting the cam pulley done orange, and a cutout in the cam cover

ive been reading horror stories about peoples subframes collapsing :eek:

any pointers to where i should check while my engine is out$?

I would check:

around the two mount points (the \ / shaped one on the left and the cylinder shaped one on the right),

all the welded points (mainly the two arms either side where the frame bolts to the chassis rails),

and just all over - you might need to degrease/brush it down to be able to see the metal!

hth,

Jon.

Righto, been a couple days of highs and lows

my full rebuilt charger(which i got rebuilt as i didnt want any problems) would not turn....

spoke to g-werks, i have changed my opinion on these guys, top effort!!!!, got me the mocal fitting bit i needed :clap: , anyway, and they comformed its not ment to be stuck... stiff maybe but not stuck... they offerd to check it for free, but that meant me posting it and losing time. I wanted to know if it was ok, fecked, or proper fecked, so me and pod split the thing open, anndd..... timing was out, and the bearing inside the displacer was rusted solid against the shaft.....not good.....

I dont know whether the g-lader rebuild usually has the displacer bearing changed but i would assume so...i also dont think the aux shaft bearing has been changed...again i dont know if this is part of the process... anyhow will speak to the guys at g-werks again 2moro (and order me up some new oil feeds :) ) and see what they rekon...

...cheekly just to chek, we filled the bearing with moly grease, smoothd the shaft a touch, timed and put the thing back together...spins fine by hand now, but i would like the bearings replaced.

anyhow, since the last update, rocker cover is on, water pump, supercharger brackets etc are on.., anyhow the pics will show.

mmm polishedness....pity i didnt give it a buff before the pic, 1st time i polished one...pretty rewarding, rekon i can get it MUCH better next time

dsc02192fq9.jpg

..the keen eye amongst you will notice the incorrect part..oh yeh and some more bits on

dsc02195lq4.jpg

oh wait whats that...cheeky orange pulley i see!! (will be a nice vernier if she behaves herself from now on)

dsc02197tt0.jpg

its a rasberry supercharger didnt you know?...

dsc02196ck6.jpg

what y'all think?

length of M12 threaded bar and a bag of M12 nuts (not monkey nuts) from B&Q for about £3.50, you can then cut it to length and also use some spacers so you can leave the flywheel on, the clarke 350 engine stand does not give you enough space to leave the flywheel on without using spacers.

few more updates, theres no cooler attached, as the 1st oil change is gona be done after a short test drive, its to allow the engine to get up to temp and basically..one less thing to worry about, then the proper g60 oil cooler will go on along with the external oil cooler

gearbox attached

dsc02201mediumka8.jpg

engine mounts being done up

dsc02211mediumwr3.jpg

engine in!!!!!, mmmmmmmmmmm ....SPAFF!

dsc02212mediumfd9.jpg

dsc02212mediumfd9.f148d10df6.jpg

gona go bak up now and continue plumbing it in..mmm i cant wait now...

after i post the charger to g-werks to be looked at (was rebuilt but not by g-werks) and i get it back, it wouldnt spin, so i opened it and found the displacer/scroll bearing rusted to the shaft

im toying with the idea of cranking it without the charger attached..but i think thats my being impatient, lol

it was rusted together AFTER you got it back from another rebuilders? Good work for sending it to Darren, but I think you should give the original rebuilders some grief!

They don't start with J and end in abba do they? :lol: