Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

VR Suspension/steering overhaul-Have i missed anything?

My VR failed the MOT yesterday on one wishbone bush. The steering rack has also been leaking for a while so ive decided to go for a full front end overhaul. Stealth are getting me a rack and tie rods and i have the following bits:

1. Wishbones

2. Ball joints

3. ARB drop links

4. ARB bushes

5. Gearbox mount

6. VT rear engine mount

7. Subframe bolts

8. Wishbone bolts

9. Steering rack mount rubber U shaped thing

The top mounts were changed when the coilovers were fitted. Can anyone think of anything ive missed or would recommend doing while its all being done?

Cheers

That sounds like pretty much everything I have, so seems complete to me.

Only thing missing is the front engine mount on the cross-member?

That sounds like pretty much everything I have, so seems complete to me.

Only thing missing is the front engine mount on the cross-member?

All sorted on that front. I had a VT one fitted at last service.

not totally suspension/steering but how about the front subframe bushings?

Im sure Vince told me there arent any? The frame bolts direct to the car.

I'm not trying to be sarky but it's probably fair to say that Stealth will tell you what you need to replace. That's why you pay them to engineer your car.

- Isn't it?

I'm not trying to be sarky but it's probably fair to say that Stealth will tell you what you need to replace. That's why you pay them to engineer your car.

- Isn't it?

Very true but its up to me to tell them of any extra bits i might want doing.

Great to see you doing this, it's what I had planned, I would drop all the sbframe, cross members wish bones and rear axle and get them stripped and refinished at the same time. Your friends MK1 Campaign is the perfect way to go on this, loving the rebuild.

Great to see you doing this, it's what I had planned, I would drop all the sbframe, cross members wish bones and rear axle and get them stripped and refinished at the same time. Your friends MK1 Campaign is the perfect way to go on this, loving the rebuild.

Cheers Gareth. Are you going to Stanford Hall?

I have another subframe here thats being powdercoated. The new wishbones i am going to 2k paint as the bushes are already fitted so i didnt want to risk the blast from powdercoating messing them up. The front crossmember i will do another time as i havent managed to locate one yet. A complete rear refurb will also get done but that will be another time also.

There are tons of cross-members on ebay. Most of the mk2 golf ones I have found fit. One went for £5 2 days ago and it was near-mint. Gutted I missed it.

There are tons of cross-members on ebay. Most of the mk2 golf ones I have found fit. One went for £5 2 days ago and it was near-mint. Gutted I missed it.

Ah i was under the impression that VR versions are different.

not totally suspension/steering but how about the front subframe bushings?

Im sure Vince told me there arent any? The frame bolts direct to the car.

front subframe, the one the front engine mount sits in, not the rear/wishbones/rack one

you need 4 of these: 191 199 233 (rubber mountings)

Ok here's a thought if it's all coming off the car.

While the front subframe is out, get it seam welded and powdercoated. You'd be surprised how much difference this makes to the rigidity of the subframe, and it helps tighten the handling at the front end of the car quite noticeably. Shouldn't be too expensive to have it done either.

HTH

John

Ok here's a thought if it's all coming off the car.

While the front subframe is out, get it seam welded and powdercoated. You'd be surprised how much difference this makes to the rigidity of the subframe, and it helps tighten the handling at the front end of the car quite noticeably. Shouldn't be too expensive to have it done either.

HTH

John

Wicked idea but the subframes already at the powdercoaters :(

I'd be interested to see actually how much flex there is in a subframe, not too sure the average joe would be able to tell the difference? :shrug:

The stock ones are only spot welded. They're not unsafe at all, but the rigidity is less that it is when it's seam welded.

I got the advice from a guy who's built cars for the VW Cup, had mine done last year and it does make a difference to the feel.

Obviously the rest of the car has to be sorted to go this far. You won't notice a lot of difference if you're on stock suspension.

fair enough, yeah the cross-members are spotted too, it's just to cut down production costs.

I always thought the wings would have more flex in them than the frame, as I see most people stitch-welding them instead (need to leave some give in the panels, hence you weld an inch, leave an inch, weld an inch etc etc)

interesting stuff though!