Sign in to follow this  
junkie

Axle stands

Where is the safest place to put axle stands on the front of the car to work underneath the car, im always paranoid about where i put them, as i have to remove the downpipe, turbo, manifold and im going to be under there for quite a while i should imagine so i want the safest possible way to do it.

Cheers

I'd drive it onto some sleepers. no chance of it falling off then, or any damage to the chassis from the axle stands...

I want to get my car completly off the ground soon, all 4 wheels up fairly high so i can get underneath and do a hub conversion etc.

Bearing in mind all i have is the jack in the boot at the mo, what is the best way of actually getting it onto the wooden blocks or axles stands? one wheel at a time ?? Anyone have any pics ??

This always seems to a question that no one really knows the answer to. We all use different methods I guess.

personally, I've made some wooden blocks the fit in the seat of my axle stands. These have a groove cutout in the top for the sill to sit in.

I'm not convinced that this is the best way to keep the front end in the air, but it certainly hasn't squashed the sill yet...

...oh, and I'm not dead due to car squishage...either.

no no no, best place for load-bearing items such as this is current load bearing points, that is, mounting points.

Subframe rear chassis mounts are the best, and the \_/ shape of the stands fits in them so well.

Here's 2p, spend it wisely.

Piccy: winpoints.JPG[/attachment:3pphnj77]

I want to get my car completly off the ground soon, all 4 wheels up fairly high so i can get underneath and do a hub conversion etc.

Bearing in mind all i have is the jack in the boot at the mo, what is the best way of actually getting it onto the wooden blocks or axles stands? one wheel at a time ?? Anyone have any pics ??

btw, you should never use 4 axle stands to put a car up on, always 2 stands and 2 ramps / blocks. Not that you would, but just for reference :grin:

Yep those are the points to use. In the stand, use some thick rubber (at least 1cm thick) to prevent or minimise any damage to the underseal. Also use this or a stout piece of timber when using a trolley jack.

BTW, can you jack up the rear on the axle?

btw, you should never use 4 axle stands to put a car up on, always 2 stands and 2 ramps / blocks. Not that you would, but just for reference :grin:

Why not? Not that i ever have, i've always used 2 stand and ramps.

It's alright if you're not going to work on a car, but I wouldn't recommend going underneath one on four stands.

General concensus is that 4 stands is dodgy: if you start hitting something or giving it any kid of lateral/horizontal force, the car has a high risk of toppling. Putting the wheels under the sills is a good safety measure, but nothing is as good as 2 stands / 2ramps combo.

Read this, looks quite useful and easy to do:

Make your own ramps

In the stand, use some thick rubber (at least 1cm thick) to prevent or minimise any damage to the underseal.

Why? if you're jacking on the subframe mounts then you're jacking up on metal plates so the underseal doesn't come into it, therefore no need to worry about tears/damage.

BTW, can you jack up the rear on the axle?

Yep, rear axle mount points. they're the HUGE ones.