Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

What's the best mk4?

I've been having this heated debate with a few people recently. I know someone with a V5 and they absolutely love it. They also drove the 18T when they were looking at golfs to buy and they thought it was rubbish. Yet loads of people really rate the turbo engine. But is that just the people who have modified it? I've driven the 2.0 GTi and didn't think it was all that great to be honest. Didn't feel very GTi to me.

I think if I was going for a mk4 myself it would be a V6 4mo if I didn't have the money for an R32.... Which I don't.... Yet.... Well, not unless I want to take a chunk out of my house deposit. Which would result in me being dumped more than likely. :lol:

But R32 aside none of the Mk4s really jump out at me.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

None of the petrol engines excite me apart from the R32...

Would have to be the 130 or 150 GT TDI for me, economy, torque and a true GTi

You 2 talking power numbers well 1 of you is talking lbft and the other is Nm so 2 very different things mine hits 460 Nm which equates to 340 lbft

The V5 sounds awesome but with 2.3 litres, and that thirst, i'd hope for better performance.

I think the R32 has to be the best of the bunch but I wouldn't moan at a V6 4Motion :)

TDI remains completely underrated also IMHO. A remapped PD150 is absolute dynamite.

Not sure if its true and i cant remember which factories but the build quality varied vastly apparently, sure it was spanish factories

I must say I am surprised with the V5's apparent lack of performance on paper. My mk3 valver was quicker. Even if you look at power to weight. Mk3 16v is 129 bhp/ton and the V5 144. These figures are shamelessly lifted from Evo of course but 0-60 the mk3 is 0.3 seconds faster. How? The V5 has more overall power, more torque, and better power to weight. Yet it's slower. :scratch:

I must say I am surprised with the V5's apparent lack of performance on paper. My mk3 valver was quicker. Even if you look at power to weight. Mk3 16v is 129 bhp/ton and the V5 144. These figures are shamelessly lifted from Evo of course but 0-60 the mk3 is 0.3 seconds faster. How? The V5 has more overall power, more torque, and better power to weight. Yet it's slower. :scratch:

Dunno, gear ratios maybe?

Been in a colleagues V5, unimpressed tbh, just seemed dull.

For me, it'd have to be 1) R32 2)V6 4MO 3)Mapped up 18T

Admittedly the new TDi's are good, but just wouldn't want to own an oil burner...

We had a V5 Bora (10 valve) and loved it. The performance is not great, a 1.8T would outperform it but it had bags of character, something that the 1.8T never had. After it had a Milltek fitted the noise was gorgeous and it was actually very smooth. It would cruise all day at 90+ (in Germany only obviously) and it never returned less than 29mpg, on a fast 900 mile one day run back from Switzerland last year it actually delivered just over 31mpg.

TDI 150, but finding 3door models is fun.

If not i'd go for an anniversary model, but they fetch silly money in comparison to the standard 1.8T's

Ive got a 4mo and its great! The V6 is just a better version of the original VR, I should know I also had one in my C 8)

People think theyre slow, but theyre not. Its not quite as quick as my C was due to the 4WD bit it handles really well. Some decent mods for it are an R32 front end ie subframe, steering rack, etc to tighten up the steering, decent suspension and a remap and its excellent. Or if you fancy an R32 for less money then buy a 4mo and strap a turbo to it for £3k!!!

You could buy mine for less than £4k, add a turbo for £3k and for £7k you have a 300BHP monster, with 4WD ;)

My mate has an AUM 1.8T GTi with an upsolute remap to 212 BHP and it pulls really well.

Yeah, the V6 4mos are awesome value for money. And it doesn't take much to get an R32 beater for less money. It would be worth it just to see the look on my girlfriend's face if I was to tell her I was spending 3 grands fitting a turbo to my car.... :lol: She hates all of my car ideas.