Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Schrick VGI plumbing

Following the RR day my Schrick isnt behaving as it should. I changed over the vacuum point after having a poke around Mark Storms engine bay but im still not convinced that everything is as it should be. It was a bit late last night so didnt really want to sit revving the car but the light does change colour at 4k but im not seeing flap movement. Sound difference at 4k whilst driving im not sure but the car pulls really really well.. Obviously if theres more to be had id quite like to free it up so...

Could someone who has acces to Schrick fitting instructions by any chance send me a copy via pm or email if needed as mine are at home (330miles away) and theres no one who can send them down to me at the minute..

Also the following questions might help me along..

If the colour does change on the control box LED does that mean it is recieving the correct rev signal and sending the nescessary signal to the device that controls the vacuum?

What does the vacuum pot actually do and does it matter which way round it is?

Does the one way valve need to be fitted to the inward or outward leg of the vacuum pot?

Thanks kindly...

It was a bit late last night so didnt really want to sit revving the car but the light does change colour at 4k but im not seeing flap movement. Also the following questions might help me along.

It could be the flap binding. Quite common. Speak to Vince, he knows all about that :lol:

I think of the 12 or so we got on Group buy a few years ago, 3 of them needed flap work to free them off.

If the colour does change on the control box LED does that mean it is recieving the correct rev signal and sending the nescessary signal to the device that controls the vacuum?

Correct.

What does the vacuum pot actually do and does it matter which way round it is?

It's a resevoir for building up vacuum. At wide open throttle the intake goes atmospheric and you have no vacuum, and therefore the flap won't open. The resevoir keeps a store of vacuum to open the valve when needed.

The vacuum feed from the servo line goes to the front nipple on the vacuum pot. The second nipple feeds the actuator solenoid, the output of the solenoid goes to the flap mechanism on the VGI.

Does the one way valve need to be fitted to the inward or outward leg of the vacuum pot?

Should go on the inbound to prevent reverse airflow into the intake.

Hope that helps.

I think that's right anyway, it's been donkeys years since I played with a schick.....

Thanks for the reply Kev, the flap does move, i put a piece of hose on it and gave it a suck (relax Toad) and it shifts..

The reservoir ive got was different to the 2 i saw on Sunday..

Im only using 1 of the points on the servo line and it is feeding into the reservoir (bottom with one way valve fitted). Ive got the top point from the reservoir feeding the solenoid (top connection) and then from there to flap actuator itself.. Does that sound right??

OK mate, no worries, at least you've confirmed some movement! I think it was more heat related though. Did you try moving the flap when the engine was up to temperature?

Mine used to bind slightly. It was OK when cold, but every so often during a thrape when hot, I could feel the switch over at 4000 was very lazy.

Vince did something to do bushings in the flap and that corrected it permanently. Not saying yours is definitely siezing, but worth bearing in mind.

Your plumbing sounds about right. Without trying to sound condascending, did you fit the non return valve the right way round?

The engine was warm when i oraly operated the flap (that sounds terrible).. It did need a good suck to get it move though, it didnt just fly around, i certainly wouldnt rule out that it is sticking..

No thoughts of being condascending, ive fitted the one way Vv so the direction of travel is away from the reservoir..

My only other idea is that the hoses are too long. Ive got the pot mounted under the air intake so have got the lines running round the back of the head just above the heat shield. I did think about moving it over but cant find a nice place with it out of the way..

My Shrek is also playing up, Jim at Star Performance mentioned a couple he has worked on have had this same problem, he sends them down to Stealth for a bit of fettling, mine's is heading down shortly

Ive been looking into getting a schrick mani lately....

Is this sticky flap scenario quite common then? And how would i test when purchasing?

Also whats the cost of Vince's fettling to resolve it?

Cheers and I didnt mean to highjack yr thread Goldie :)

No mate you crack on, may be asking some of those questions myself shortly and wanting to prove its function when it gets sold..

The reservoir ive got was different to the 2 i saw on Sunday.......

I've got a spare reservoir at home if you want it, I already have a vac reservoir for the climatronic inside the passenger side arch liner so just tapped into that system for mine. Can't say it'll cure anything but puts your mind at rest.

I might take you up on that Tony, very kind of you to offer, ill continue to investigate and get back to you..

Thanks to John for the instructions - confirm ive set got it set up correctly..

Does anyone know where I can buy a reservoir ?

I have a VSR which came without one ( I don't think they were standard with the VSR for some reason ).

Does anyone know where I can buy a reservoir ?

I have a VSR which came without one ( I don't think they were standard with the VSR for some reason ).

You can order all the spares from Stealth, don't tend to keep it on stock but get bits for you within a couple of weeks.

If anyone needs to order bits from Stealth but wants to save on postage (and will be going to Stanford Hall) let me know - i've said it many times but I live way local to them and would be happy to shuttle bits around for fellow Rado owners!

FWIW my Schrick has "sticky flap syndrome" too. It sticks OPEN though, once you've gone out past 4000 rpm it opens fully and stays there. Not all the time like, just often enough to annoy.

Though I do note the idle is better when it's stuck open, I seriously miss that big lump of torque in the 3-4k rpm range ...