Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Lots Of Questions!

Got quite a few niggly questions that I could do with some help on.

Working on sorting out my engine bay at the moment so it will look mint, almost showy if you like. It's a garaged weekend car so not too bad.

eng01.jpg

Question 1 (White Arrow) - What can I do with these 2 (top mounts??) to make them look much better than the dirty/rusty'ish metal they are at the moment?

Question 2 (Blue Arrow) - These are all related to the A/C, fuses etc. Any ideas on how I can hide/make them look better? Can't think of an option.

Question 3 (Red Arrows) - Do you think these little plastic bits on the slam panel are still available? The guy on the VW desk doesn't know what I mean so I'll have to go there and show him! I assume it shouldn't be too hard for a bodyshop to sort out replacing all the rusty screws with new ones? Can you get alu screws to stop them rusting again?

Question 4 (Green Arrow) - This is where the bonnet catch goes in, am I missing a bit of plastic here?

Question 5 - I was thinking of getting a battery bag? There's alu covers on ebay etc but not sure about any other options to sort the battery area out?

Question 6 - I've a replacement bonnet that'll get painted shortly, is it a problem to get rid of the underneath sound deadening permanantly? Does it NEED to be there?

Question 7 - I have the thicker (middle thickness) Magnacor HT leads, they won't fit in the plastic grooves that the OEM ones do, do you reckon it's possible to file them down or something so they fit? Anyone done this before?

Question 8 - Whats the silver bit at the back of then bay called? The cloth heat wrap jobby? Can this only be replaced with another or is there alternatives?

Question 9 - My plan is to paint the Inlet Manifold and Rocker Cover matt black and make everything else look new/OEM+. Do you think Black Samco hoses will be a decent addition?

Question 10 - Do you think the Air Intake box and tube can be painted as well?

Cheers!

Andy

Question 1 (White Arrow) - What can I do with these 2 (top mounts??) to make them look much better than the dirty/rusty'ish metal they are at the moment?

Either standard black plastic caps from the dealer, or look around on ebay, as you can get polished metal caps there.

Question 2 (Blue Arrow) - These are all related to the A/C, fuses etc. Any ideas on how I can hide/make them look better? Can't think of an option.

Try looking in Maplin for a small plastic box for custom circuit boards etc. They are designed to hav ethe sides etc cut off them to accept cables. So you can get them to fit over pretty much anything.

Question 3 (Red Arrows) - Do you think these little plastic bits on the slam panel are still available? The guy on the VW desk doesn't know what I mean so I'll have to go there and show him! I assume it shouldn't be too hard for a bodyshop to sort out replacing all the rusty screws with new ones? Can you get alu screws to stop them rusting again?

I'd doubt if a couple of those bits are still available tbh, but you can get stainless stell screws and bolts to replace the standard rusty ones.

Question 4 (Green Arrow) - This is where the bonnet catch goes in, am I missing a bit of plastic here?

I don't think so! None of my rados had a plastic fitting there.

Question 6 - I've a replacement bonnet that'll get painted shortly, is it a problem to get rid of the underneath sound deadening permanantly? Does it NEED to be there?

Use something like 'gunk' to soften up the glue to get it off. The sound proofing doesn't need to be there. You get a bit more noise from the engine with it gone, and steam from teh bonnet when it rains though. Prob best off replacing it with some dynamat hoodliner etc.

Question 7 - I have the thicker (middle thickness) Magnacor HT leads, they won't fit in the plastic grooves that the OEM ones do, do you reckon it's possible to file them down or something so they fit? Anyone done this before?

Sounds like a bad idea to be filing down ht leads to me!!!!.....if anything file down the plastic grooves in the engine cover!

Question 8 - Whats the silver bit at the back of then bay called? The cloth heat wrap jobby? Can this only be replaced with another or is there alternatives?

It's just a heat reflecting wrap afaik.

Question 9 - My plan is to paint the Inlet Manifold and Rocker Cover matt black and make everything else look new/OEM+. Do you think Black Samco hoses will be a decent addition?

Yup!

Question 10 - Do you think the Air Intake box and tube can be painted as well?

I wouldn't!....it'll start to flake pretty quickly and look verr tatty!.....Easiest way is to give it a good clean, and use some 'back to black' type renovator to get it looking shiny! :wink:

i was trying to tidy mine up too, but got fed up pretty quickly.

you can get covers that go over the tops of suspension struts, look much better with them

i have the same jumble of AC stuff and it looks like crap, almost considering ditching the whole AC setup as it just rammed in

Bonnet latch thing, i'd like to know if bits are missing as mine seems/feels different when shutting bonnet now, after i've removed and replaced all that, might of lost a bit

i cleaned manifold up with a dremel, comes up well but still alot of effort.

just fitted black samcos and a bit disappointed at how much different they don't look :lol:, can't really tell, there's so many other black pipes and hoses that look crap still

i bought a product called "engine laquer" from Autobrite, it brings up plastics like new. i think it actual coats them with a layer, like a laquer :lol:

Can you post a pic of yours with the Samco's?

(I meant file down the plastic not the HT leads! :lol: )

I have a silver bonnet that getting resprayed blue as mine has cracks all over, just debating whether or not to get them to remove the sound deadening. Is there any mechanical reason to keep it?

1. Buy the covers for them, I expect you'll be able to get them from the dealers, they're just plastic caps so shouldnt be pricey.

2. Not that I can think of

3. I expect the platic bits would clean up like new, the screws will be available.

4. Not that I can remember

5. Either re-locate it or cover is would be your options I suppose

6. The under-bonnet foam is a PIG to get off, you may be able to get rid of it with some Autoglym tar and glue remover or something, im sure a 'detailing' buff will advise you on whats best, it isn't needed but you will notice a difference in nise from the engine without it there. It can be replaced and there are quite a few options as to what you use, use the search.

7. Dunno but I certainly wouldnt be using a file on my leads! :lol:

8. I expect you'll be able to replace it, its just heat wrap as far as I know

9. LOL, should I have prawns or chicken with my stir fry? :eek:

10. Anything can be painted I suppose, it'll just be down to preparing the surface so that the paint sticks, again you'd be better off speaking to a paint expert about hows best to do it, I can imagine it would be difficult stuff to get paint to stick to properly.

im sure a 'detailing' buff will advise you on whats best,

:lol:

The bodyshop will be removing it when they respray my replacement bonnet so I wouldn't have to take it off.

Cheers!

Regarding Q4 - The Bonnet Catch Plastic bit.

If you look at where the bonnet catch goes in, there looks to be something there, like a bit of plastic?

Engine02.jpg

i reckon something fell off mine while doing it, as i shut bonnet it didn't sound right, and was exactly that bits i was unsure of.

felt too metalic on contact with bonnet if you know what i mean :lol:

I want stainless polished bits for my engine bay, where is best to buy them from?

Also, 3corsameal, how exactly did you clean up the manifold with the Dremel?

Worth buying one then??

I want stainless polished bits for my engine bay, where is best to buy them from?

Also, 3corsameal, how exactly did you clean up the manifold with the Dremel?

Worth buying one then??

I made most of the parts, the screws I polished up myself.

Have you any of them available Dave? Or a list of things now? The radiator lugs, bonnet post and seat levers (underneath ones) for example...

Have you any of them available Dave? Or a list of things now? The radiator lugs, bonnet post and seat levers (underneath ones) for example...

I don't have any of those items available at the moment but I could if there was enough interest. I'll make a list when I get the chance, is there anything in particular you are wanting?

thanks Dave. The radiator lugs, bonnet stand and seat pulls would be ideal.

The items I have are for a 16v, not sure if they'd fit a VR.

literally got my car back on road about 15mins ago. still not quite right tho :(

anyway here are the pics, not very special really, but gives you an idea of how little you see of the samcos

DSC00705.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

this is how is was before, so an improvement i feel

DSC00957-1.jpg

You know the bit on top of the rocker cover with the VW badge on and VR6 written on?

Is that metal or plastic??

Cant be assed going out to my car to look.

If its metal can you buy polished ones?

If its plastic I can just get it painted, much easier

Does anyone know if theres any difference betwen rocker covers on the VR6 models?

Seen a cover off an M Reg VR6 (mines K), just wondering if it's the same as mine?