Sign in to follow this  
jackflash

Plastic seal detailing/restoration

What does everyone use to restore/detail their plastics, particularly the window seals? I've had polish stains ingrained in the seals for ages and it's been doing my head in so finally got round to trying to clean them up today. Used Autoglym Fast Glass to get some of the polish stains out which worked fairly well but then I used Autoglym bumper care to try and blacken them back up and found that they weren't absorbing it equally, making the seals look very patchy. It seems to be good stuff for the roof rack rails and hard plastics like that (was great for the bumpers on my old golf) but not so good for the softer plastics such as the window seals. Anyone got any suggestions?

Traffic film remover and a scrubbing brush removes ingrained wax/compound

If your desperate now without access to the above, use some peanut butter (or some hand wash cream or gel from the bathroom) and a tooth brush..silly old method, but it will work for ya mate.

I used Mer Bumper & Trim Cleaning Gel, from Halfrauds, silicone free so doesn't fade after a couple of days. Did mine 3 weeks ago and everything is still black as black.

Excellent stuff and smells good too! :D

Looks like snot though... :lol:

I used Mer Bumper & Trim Cleaning Gel, from Halfrauds, silicone free so doesn't fade after a couple of days. Did mine 3 weeks ago and everything is still black as black.

Yeah think I need to give this a go, all other Meguiar's stuff I've used has been very impressive

Yeah think I need to give this a go, all other Meguiar's stuff I've used has been very impressive

Not Meguiars dude Mer, different company I think, but anyway:

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/de ... -gel/2558/

You can use petrol on your rubbers to get any marks off them, dissolves the top layer and takes off the 'shine' to make them look like new again! Don't use it on plastic though.

Not Meguiars dude Mer, different company I think, but anyway:

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/de ... -gel/2558/

Cheers mate, my mistake, thought you'd just put Mer rather than Meg by mistake! Never heard of em, but I'll check it out

Best off asking over on detailing world. They will have the answer.

Had never heard of that website, looks pretty good cheers :salute:

hi

i use auto glym bumper care works well and removes polish marks to on rubber and plastic , also will hide stone chips in the laquer for shows :)

prepare to say bye to the cash in your wallet :D

Chemical guys new look trim gel after a good scrub down with a cleaner fluid works well for me.

As has already been said Chemical Guys New Lokk Trim gel is good but Black Wow is fantastic, not cheap but I have barely touched my bottle after doing a few cars - a little goes a very long way

prepare to say bye to the cash in your wallet :D

Chemical guys new look trim gel after a good scrub down with a cleaner fluid works well for me.

Yeah I've already got the cost tallying up after looking at the recommendations on that site, I can see myself spending some serious cash over at polishedbliss.co.uk! Anyone used them before by the way?

Cleaned my strips with peanut butter over the weekend and what a result! made me throw the back2black in the bin :D