Sign in to follow this  
Bridget

G60 Emissions for MOT

My beloved 1992 G60 failed it's MOT due to it's emissions being too high. What is the easiest way to rectify this? Can I fit a cat purely for the MOT and take it off again til next year?? Is this a pain?! It has a full Milltek system with cat by pass, I've had this system on for 6 years but the emission levels for the MOT have changed! I also use a Jabbasport induction kit, does this make a difference? Any advice would be appreciated! :scratch:

Hi Pete,

The car is on a 'J' plate, I don't know the reading, but he said it didn't fail by much. I was talking to a frienin the motor trade who sugggested using a less reputable garage he uses, he seemed to think it wouldn't have a problem there.

have you put it through without a cat all this time and it has past ok?

I have a 92 g60 so i'm interested.

:)

So the emission laws have got tighter?

If it's only a little bit over it might be worth trying a bit of fuel additive to see if it passes?

oh yes one more little jem no car in the uk needs a cat as long as it falls into the emission limits specified by age

Thats what i was kinda hitting at.

Thnks. :salute:

have you put it through without a cat all this time and it has past ok?

emission laws have not got tighter in fact on pre n reg cars the emission laws have got slacker

relevant info

there is earlier limits than what follows but there pre corrado

limits are as follows upto m reg cars and inclusive the limits are upto 1200 ppm and 3.5% (this is idle test only no fast idle required),

from N to august 2002 the limit is 200ppm and .3%

and there after the limit is 200 ppm and .2% which obviously does not effect the corrado

you need to know the figures your car failed on

if they were over 3.5% you have a problem that needs sorting any way

oh yes one more little jem no car in the uk needs a cat as long as it falls into the emission limits specified by age

your not far out but cars

First used between 1/8/86 and 31/7/92 - meter test CO

First used between 1/8/92 and 31/7/94 - advanced emission test (CAT) if its running on petrol when presented,CO

so if you have a 'k' reg onwards car it will have a basic emission test will be carried out initially. if it fails its checked to vehicle specific limits, ie limits for a 9a,pg engine.

if the engine is not listed for that car (ie your have fitted a 1.8t) then no cat is needed and pre cat limits used but only upto 'n' reg

The same exhaust system has been on the car for 6 +years without any problems. The car runs perfectly and has just had a full service.

G60 CO should be set to 0.7 % using the tap on the exhaust manifold at idle and above 80 degrees oil temp with the blue temp sensor and cylinder head breather hose disconnected.

If you are getting an MOT fail then you CO is likely to be way off, its just that the lambda will compensate for it.

If it's only a little bit over it might be worth trying a bit of fuel additive to see if it passes?

only one problem with this you only get one free retest and a test station does not even need to let you have one free retest they are entiled to charge you upto half the original test, if it fails a second time you will be into another full test , you can thank mot computerisation for this

:salute:

and fuel additives in petrol engines dont really do a lot , only diesels they have the desired effect.

Good point about the re-test, allthough I have used fuel additives on a good few petrol engined vehicles in the past to get me through a re-test and it's worked every time.

G60 CO should be set to 0.7 % using the tap on the exhaust manifold at idle and above 80 degrees oil temp with the blue temp sensor and cylinder head breather hose disconnected.

If you are getting an MOT fail then you CO is likely to be way off, its just that the lambda will compensate for it.

hi

how do you mean the lambda will compensate for it, lambda is only a measurement of oxygen in the exhaust system.

The lambda sensor over-rides all other sensor in the engine system, it is the 'daddy sensor'. The exhaust measuring point for the G60 CO setting is in the exhaust manifold and as such is upstream of the lambda probe.

Yes, lambda is only a measure of oxygen in the system but the oxygen remaining in the system is a by-product of the fuelling of the car, decided by the ECU which in turn receives its information from the lambda probe.

hi

how do you mean the lambda will compensate for it, lambda is only a measurement of oxygen in the exhaust system.

The lambda sensor over-rides all other sensor in the engine system, it is the 'daddy sensor'. The exhaust measuring point for the G60 CO setting is in the exhaust manifold and as such is upstream of the lambda probe.

Yes, lambda is only a measure of oxygen in the system but the oxygen remaining in the system is a by-product of the fuelling of the car, decided by the ECU which in turn receives its information from the lambda probe.

The oxygen sensor is the ultimate decider of the final emissions but i have to disagree its the daddy , if this was the case the car would not run without one ,

even with a perfect oxy sensor things like ecu temp sender for one can completely bugger an engines fueling up by lying to the ecu and the ecu supplying the wrong amount of fuel depending on what the engine temp actually is ,

but there is one thing i will say we were all a lot better off with a standard electronic ignition , and k jetronic mmm happy days . :salute:

emission laws have not got tighter in fact on pre n reg cars the emission laws have got slacker

relevant info

there is earlier limits than what follows but there pre corrado

limits are as follows upto m reg cars and inclusive the limits are upto 1200 ppm and 3.5% (this is idle test only no fast idle required),

from N to august 2002 the limit is 200ppm and .3%

and there after the limit is 200 ppm and .2% which obviously does not effect the corrado

you need to know the figures your car failed on

if they were over 3.5% you have a problem that needs sorting any way

your not far out but cars

First used between 1/8/86 and 31/7/92 - meter test CO

First used between 1/8/92 and 31/7/94 - advanced emission test (CAT) if its running on petrol when presented,CO

so if you have a 'k' reg onwards car it will have a basic emission test will be carried out initially. if it fails its checked to vehicle specific limits, ie limits for a 9a,pg engine.

if the engine is not listed for that car (ie your have fitted a 1.8t) then no cat is needed and pre cat limits used but only upto 'n' reg

sorry mate 92 >94 cars are now on 3.5% and 1200 ppm your analyzer will test the car in the 0.3% and200ppm in basic emission test if it fails it will go into full cat test and will then tell you there are no details for this car (i have not tested a car yet including the c that the machine has had details for between 92>95) and tests 3.5% 1200 ppm and no lambda and thats all mot tests upto 1/8/ 1995 ,

so you test a car as full cat test straight away and the 3.5% and 1200ppm come straight into play and thats how it is .

when did this change theres no 'SN' on this and the flow chart in the guide is still the same

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit ... 2-2002.pdf

hi

it changed last year but the general info is not available its in the analyzers and the emission guide, its down to this sentence "details for this car are not available" all that i have written is current i test cars for a job so anything pre n reg is on easy street as far as emissions are concerned . :salute:

your link is right there in no info for these cars between 92 upto 1/8 95 its then a 3.5% test as your flow chart says and as i said the analyzers have no info for that era any more mad or what.

the analyzers do have the info/details for cars 92 up to 95 (with lasts years update) and its the emission data book number 13 as of august 2007.