Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

"edead" sound deadening

It wasn't quite as easy as dynamat to cut to shape (but that wasn't a big problem really), went on pretty easily, and was quite easily moulded around corners and into gaps etc.

Haven't had the car on the road with it fitted yet, but it did make a nice difference to the performance of the front speakers, and the doors make a lovely 'clunk' nose when closed now. The actual sound deadening properties are up online somewhere if you google it, and they seem to compare well with other brands.

Well I bought 30 ft of the edead and I have to say it's extremely easy to work with. Much easier to cut than Dynamat Xtreme and probably easier to work with. Less finger slicing too at the metal backing is thinner and not as sharp. However the actual sheet is about half the thickness of Xtreme so you need to buy twice as much and spend twice as much time applying a given thickness than if you used Xtreme. Personally I think it's a bit of a false economy - it would have been quicker and the same price to use Xtreme. It's not the end of the world though - the product is good quality - just thin!

It's quite interesting actually - I'd just assumed that sound deadening was sound deadening and the price difference was all snake oil...

But, I've just done my doors in Second Skin Damplifier (not the pro stuff) and despite being thinner and lighter than the Skins stuff I used on the last car, it's actually doing a much better job of deadening vibrations! (Got both cars next to each other, so it's not just my memory :lol: )

It's also pretty expensive stuff, but well worth it for the doors. If you put too much weight in there, it'll eventually make the hinges droop :(

I've got me some Second Skin Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for the boot :norty:

I think my main complaint would be that the edead looks like re-braded Marley tape (which costs peanuts) whereas the Dynamat products seem like they're specifically designed for the job so I don't mind paying more.

I was thining of doing my boot actually - do you need different tackle for that then? Luxury Liner Pro conjoures up images of deep pile wool :D

You don't need any different stuff to do the boot, but as weight isn't as much of an issue there, I went for the full-on daddy stuff :lol:

If you can do the boot floor, boot sides and behind the rear 1/4s that'll make a big difference to the noise. I only did the boot floor and under the rear bench in the last car, so this one's getting the sides done too.

The Damplifier Pro is your normal sound goopy-backed, foil covered sound deadening stuff. If you're getting a bit silly then you can stick a layer of Luxury Liner or Luxury Liner Pro over the top to give it extra deadness. The LL Pro is heavy stuff! :lol:

It's not cheap and if you want to get it in the UK, you need to buy it from Car Audio Direct

I'm halfway through my install at the moment. Hopefully I'll get the doors finished off during the week and get on with the boot/rear 1/4s over the weekend, so can take pics and/or let you know how I get on with things.

I've done a few pics of my install as progress is being made. I have to say I think the more you deaden you tend to get the law of diminishing return creeping in. Doing the doors makes an enormous difference to the sound quality but after that you end up spending loads of time and money for less and less gain. I did the 3/4s in my 200SX which made a bit of difference although that car is renouned for having extremely boomy cavities in the rear 3/4 - particularly the noise you get from spray if you drive in the rain. I deadened the panel, arch and filled it with loft insulation.

I'd be interested to hear your car though when it's fully done. Knowing me I'll get bored one Sunday afternoon when the mrs is out and decide to rip out the interior and do the whole lot!

I actually got my Dad to help me with my install and he got the job of doing the doors - there was loads of waxy gunk on the portion of the door skin which is below the impact bar. He scraped that off and cleaned it with white spirit :D I also sprayed a load of Waxoyl in the bottoms of the door cavities as dampness seems to just sit in there even if your drain slots are clear.

Yeah, I got a load of heavy-duty spray de-greaser from Audioscape (says Skins stuff on the invoice, but labelled as Audioscape own-brand).

That cleared through the gunk nice and easily with the aid of a grubby rag or three.

The bit below the side impact bar was particularly nasty. I got most of the wax off, but left a fine layer there (mainly cos I couldn't be arsed to get a scraper out). I left as much wax as I could in the bottom of the door while clearing out the gunk, then doused it all in Waxoyl after I'd put the sound deadening in.

Oh and I also put a Skins wave diffuser along the lower part of the door at the end where the speaker goes (cut a sheet in half). It's eggboxy type foam designed to diffuse the backwaves from the driver.

I agree that it does get into a world of diminishing returns though. I'm not really sure there's any point in doing under the rear seats and not even all that sure the boot floor makes much difference. However, I have noticed that cars with leather often sound much quieter than cloth - I suspect because the leather door cards are padded.

Similarly, my last C didn't have any rear 1/4 panel deadening and I was still getting quite a bit of road noise - hence why I'm gonna slap some on this time and see what difference it makes.

It's all a good bit of experimentation really :lol:

And you're definitely welcome to have a listen when it's all in. After it's in and I've got the mechanical bits done, it'll be new head-unit time. The fancy DVD player I've got now is just that, but doesn't really sound all that great.

I think that's always the way with AV stuff - it just doesn't cut the Colemans when it comes to audio performance. I've got my trusty Alpine CDA 7873R. It was one of the few Alpine hu's ages ago to come with BBE which makes a huge improvement to the sound.

The door cards are very padded indeed which I think makes the car quieter. There's foam over pretty much the whole back of the door card. I remember my G60 ones were nowhere nearly as nicely made as the hide ones. That was a much rattlier car than the VR though.

Yeah, I'm looking at swapping it for perhaps a Becker Grand Prix, but really not sure. I'm trying to not look into it too much, otherwise I'll end up buying one and I need to spend the money on other things first :lol:

As I've got cloth, I'm hoping the old Luxury Liner Pro will work as a nice substitute for that leather door-card padding and give me a nice quiet ride...we shall see though.

I've gone for the ol' Dampilfier stuff, bulk box of 40 square foot and a big tub of that gloppy $hite with the thickener,

2 weeks and the college stuff'll be in and I can crack on with it!!!

Then the interior that's been in the garage forever can go in!!! 8)

40 square feet and sludge?? How many cars are you doing? :lol:

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the front of the car (from the rear footwells forward) have got carpet, bitumen backed matting (about 2cm thick) then a thick gooey layer of wax before you get down to the metalwork. I'd avoid going in there cos it's going to be very messy and you won't really gain much from doing-so.

Would be interesting to see how you get on with the goo though - is it Spectrum, or Spectrum Sludge?

Either way, I don't think you can/want to put Damplifier over the top, so that would leave just the boot sides, rear 1/4s and doors to coat with Damplifier... which is no more than 20sq ft max :lol:

Could be an interesting experiment to use it as underseal though... hmmm...

I've got the headliner out and everything so i thought Feckit!

The front end has got wet a couple of times so we'll see about that, I'll be getting a hand hopefully to speed things up. Any I don't use I can sell on to a mate so it's no real problem. Better to have too much than too little.

I amazed at how thin the sheets are compared with Dynamat I've used in the past. I got the Sludge which is Spectrum with a bottle of Activator.

Should be a laugh, Thickening the goo should make less mess, that's the theory, I'll be putting it over some of the sheeting on the fiddly bits so my overlaps don't have to be perfect! It'll keep me busy after Uni stuff is finished.........

:lol: Ya loon! :lol:

But yeah, the Damplifier is far thinner than most stuff I've seen, but does seem to do a far better job!

Check this site out the sound deading stuff looks quite good

www.noisekiller.co.uk

PS Ordered some of the engine bay soundproofing foam for my VR6 bonnet swap looks like quality stuff and its not to expensive (£65 delivered) compared to VW dealer prices.

Cheers

Sandy