Sign in to follow this  
was8v

AAAARGH! Choosing my next car is impossible!

After owning a couple of Corrado VR6s I can't see anything that appeals to me to get next (sept/oct). This has probably been done to death but its really bugging me, I can't face selling to get a characterless 1.8T Cupra R or S3.

Corrado +ves:

-190bhp

-6 cylinder soundtrack and N/A power delivery

-fantastic looks

Corrado VR6 -ves:

-Ageing so it breaks often

-Crashworthiness (in comparison to newer cars)

What is there out there for less than £7k that has the corrado's postives and deals with its negatives?

Something by BMW? Golf V6 4-Mo (dull?) A Mercedes CLK (lol)? AAARGH!

hummm I think the nearest I can get is an E46 328i or 330i, hell even an E36 M3 Evo.

I have a major image problem with BMW tho.

Feck the image thing mate... :D

I loved my 328i sport and wish i could have kept it :( Superb drivers cars, but a negative is the expense if diffs/rear axle problems occur.

Parts can be gotten from the likes of gsf etc too, but obviously some parts are best to be genuine.

Neil.

Why not give your Corrado a new lease of life with an engine transplant or turbo or respray or something?

Make it quicker than any BMW/S3?

Certain Audi s3's do look nice though :norty:

Imho Corrados dont really look that "aged" well not compared to other car designs from 1988 :eek: and it has the fotune to NOT share any resemblance to anything else in the VW range, its unique

the only thing i would trade mine for would be either a MK4 R32 in DBP 8) or a Porsche 944 S2 orTurbo :wave:

But if you get into all this new car malarky then you have to accept you will see, 10, 15 or more a day of the same car in the same spec in the same colour as yours:cuckoo: how boring is that? and dont forget theose of us that like to "tinker" :grin: with stuff would soon grow bored of the mundane "turn key, starts, drive, stops" fiddling with old volkwagens is a hobby for me :wave:

the only time i ever see any of the volkswagens i have now or have owned in any great numbers is at big meets and the occasional glimpse on a motorway somewhere :lol:

Its good to be different :clap: new cars go wrong too, and some do big time! with far bigger bills than you will ever get with an older car purely down to the technical stuff and all the ecu`s sensors and god knows what else on them!

The main thing I miss about my VR is the engine note, so if you do change make sure it's at least a 5 pot - although many modern V6s don't sound as good as the VR though. How much can you pick up an Alfa 147 V6 for nowadays? Probably over your budget I'd guess.

People that call the 1.8T engine 'characterless' are full of crap, in my opinion. There's nothing characterless about my Leon; in fact it's a lot of fun. A car doesn't have to be unreliable and expensive to run to have character. Admittedly, it wasn't that inspiring in 180bhp form but it's pretty entertaining now.

Can you get an S2000 or RX8 for that kind of cash? They are the only things I'd have, to hell with practicality! 8)

You could go old school Skyline (and have chavs coming on your bonnet. :? )

Imho Corrados dont really look that "aged" well not compared to other car designs from 1988 :eek: and it has the fotune to NOT share any resemblance to anything else in the VW range, its unique

A slightly mean Passat front end?

think you need to have another look at a 1988-95 passat..........

think you need to have another look at a 1988-95 passat..........[/quote:fo764s24]

my one:

IMG_4919.jpg

i think has a very slight air of 'rado about it . . .

Integra or Leon Cupra! 8) S2K too, if you can find a decent one for that money :)

Ahhh, a common problem for all rado drivers.

Sometimes i would like a newer car with some more power (having a valver now), but then the problem with that is the selling of the rado, which i dont wanna do, so i end up stuck with the rado again, never ending circle, i want something newer, but dont wanna sell the rado, hmmmmm

Sometimes i would like a newer car with some more power (having a valver now), but then the problem with that is the selling of the rado, which i dont wanna do, so i end up stuck with the rado again, never ending circle, i want something newer, but dont wanna sell the rado, hmmmmm

I think the best suggestion was what Marcus said. Why not revamp the rado, stick a more modern engine in it, but keep the corrado looks 8)

Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

think you need to have another look at a 1988-95 passat..........

my one:

i think has a very slight air of 'rado about it . . .

Oops, I actually meant Jetta, but the Passat does look a bit similar.

I think the best suggestion was what Marcus said. Why not revamp the rado, stick a more modern engine in it, but keep the corrado looks 8)

Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

Quite possibly the best solution. My parents want me to spend around £5k on a new car, but if i put £5k into the rado it'll be ten times better than a newer one! It had a rebuild last year so for £5k i'd be looking at a turbo for the KR lump, respray and a bloody good chassis upgrade!

Problem is would i wanna use it as a daily after that? hmmmm

surely the point of buying a new car is reliability, and as such I wouldn't want to turbo a KR!

plus, depending on spec, you might not get much change out of £5k by the time you uprate the suspension, clutch, brakes, replace OEM worn out parts, etc etc etc.

7k on P/heads nets SX200/Scooby/Elise S1/some TT's/ a Skyline!

And the usual rash of BMW/Merc stuff...

Lots to chose from