joby

Rubber Roof Strips

Just got my new Roof strips yesterday :D I know some of you have replaced yours im just wondering what sort of a job it is? Any advice Please :wink:

Put the front clip in first - can be fiddly - then check that the rear clip lines up before you push the strip into the channel.

Getting any dirt out of the channel before fitting the new strip is also a goo idea.

If it is just mould, clean it off using an old toothbrush next time you wash the car.

Also works well for the edge of the sunroof panel and window seals.

Is it just the one part for the roof strips? Do you still need to buy the covers for the hindges for the boot?

Mike how do you end up with and manage to run three corrados?I know this is not really this topic and proably been asked before.

Nik Patel, Thats £40 each plus the vat, they come with the adhesive strips on, was going to fit them today but its rained all day :x

Just phoned local dealer for new gutter seals, with part no. AKL 450 005 05 from the Bentley manual. They say that's a roll of adhesive tape at £12. :shock: Does anyone know if this is indeed the rubber seal? My moldings are fine, just need to replace perished rubber seals. :?

Just phoned local dealer for new gutter seals, with part no. AKL 450 005 05 from the Bentley manual. They say that's a roll of adhesive tape at £12. :shock: Does anyone know if this is indeed the rubber seal? My moldings are fine, just need to replace perished rubber seals. :?

Same here, my plastic covers are fine, just the rubber/felty edge bits are discoloured and peeling away from the roof. I'm guessing the rubber edges are integral with the mouldings?!

K

My rubber edge bits were peeling away too and looked a bit messy so the other day I just peeled them off. It may look a bit neater but now I wonder if those edge bits were there for a reason, I mean there are no drain holes underneath are there?

Probably just for decorative purposes, so that there's less of a step from the roof to the strip....don't quote me on that tho! I've just ordered 2 replacement strips from GPC at £30 a pop....but hacking the rubber bits off sounded like a cheaper option! Oh well....

Kev

They peeled off very easily, they were almost rotten, didn't need to hack at 'em! I guess they also prevent crap from getting into the gutter channel (or did!)

when u peel off the rubber roof strips is it clean underneath of are there holes that the strips clips into, because i am thinking of just removing them and polishing the underneath if there are no holes etc

My strips arrived today and below is what you can expect for your £60+VAT (pair).

They're not what I expected, they're a strange flexibe rubber/plastic and you can see why the lip goes mouldy and peels off. It's basically the same material as the top layer and is very thin. I think carwashes and rigorous sponging pulls the lip up and then and bends it out of shape over time, and of course it's a course texture so mildew sticks to it!

I shall slap them on when the weather improves and do a picture guide....

K

Nice one Kev they look much better, shiny and black rather than dull and grey! Let us know what's in the channel when you fit them ie drain holes, dont really want to peel mine back 'cos doubt they'd wanna go back on.

Nice one Kev they look much better, shiny and black rather than dull and grey! Let us know what's in the channel when you fit them ie drain holes, dont really want to peel mine back 'cos doubt they'd wanna go back on.

Will do matey....

I suspect there aren't any holes along the drain channel as other than the front and rear clips, the entire strip is held down with tape! Only one way to find out....!

K

This is what's in the channel.....not a lot! I'm guessing the purpose of the roof strips is to cover the C and B pillar spot welds.

And here's what the new ones look like....

To do the job is reasonably straight forward overall:-

Dig out the rear clip by levering gently on the tailgate hinge.

Pull the entire strip out towards the front of the car and discard.

Clean out the gutter channels and remove all traces of glue.

Polish the paintwork around where the old seals left their mark.

Now, the tricky part, you need to press the front trim clip into the roof peg first.

Pull off a bit of the backing tape protector so it pokes out of the gutter.

Press down really hard and forward at the same time to clip the trim into the peg, the trim is very fragile and it might snap, so be careful.

Once that's in, check the rear clip will line up with the rear spigot. If not, slide the trim forward a bit more until it does.

Now pull off the rest of the tape protector strip.

With a rubber hammer, tap the trim into the gutter all the way to the back.

Tap the rear of the trim onto the spigot.

Go up and down the entire length of the trim with the hammer again so that lip seal sits tightly on the roof.

What happens if you've done that and the rear clip doesn't line up with the rear spigot?

Don't panic and don't rip the trim out to start again. Simply get a VERY sharp knife, pull the plastic cover out of the trim strip and trim off some of the strip so that it lines up. If you do a decent job of the cut, you'll never know. That's what I had to do!

It's one of those jobs that makes you wonder how they did it at the factory so neatly but take your time and you'll acheive the same.

K